16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Iside 16 ga frame
hunterdau2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Is the frame for the 16 gauge specific or is it on a 12 ga frame . Thinking of picking one up but heard it was on a 12 frame.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

hunterdau2 wrote:
Is the frame for the 16 gauge specific or is it on a 12 ga frame . Thinking of picking one up but heard it was on a 12 frame.

Don't believe everything you hear.

It is frame specific. The only 2 gauge combo that FAIR can do on the ISIDE is 28\410 because the 410 is on the 28 frame. I know because I asked about a 16 20 combo. No go.

Edit: the 12 ga. Iside comes in at just over 6 pounds. Not exactly a bad thing but really close to the 16. Which is not a bad thing at all.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:13 am  Reply with quote

I would actually consider a 12 gauge 26” but would need to have one in hand first. But, I would order a 16 gauge 26” without having to handle one.
hunterdau2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a email from f.a.i.r and they stated it was a 12 gauge frame but a smaller framed 12. Thanks for the replies.
hunterdau2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

A 6 lb 12 does have appeal doesn't it.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

My ISIDE 16 ga. weights 6 lb. 4 oz. with 28" barrels. It feels very small in the field. Good luck on your purchase.

Ron
fourtrax57
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

If I set my 12 ga. Iside next to a 16 ga the difference is IMO. very little.
I have eyeballed them sis each other and if you don’t look closely you would think they both the Same. The 12 is slightly larger.. Anecdotal but true.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

hunterdau2 wrote:

Not for me.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
hunterdau2 wrote:

Not for me.

Definitely have to go about feeding it correctly. 1 1/4 oz would be most unpleasant, no?

Best,
Ted

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Ted Schefelbein"]
double vision wrote:
hunterdau2 wrote:

Not for me.

Definitely have to go about feeding it correctly. 1 1/4 oz would be most unpleasant, no?

Best,
Ted[/quote
I think my 16 ga Iside is 6.2. I did use some blue box Federal 1 1/8 oz on Phez last year and didnt notice it any more than the 1 ozers.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Whole different deal:

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/68957_600x400/] [/URL]

I don’t even like feeding that load to a 12.

Best,
Ted

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Ever since IFG took over importing FAIR guns from the outfit in Florida that went under IFG told me the Iside was based on only 2 frame sizes, a large and a small. And I could get a combo set for each frame.

So a couple of months ago when I was finally ready to order a 20/28 combo I called Lion Country Supply and asked if a 16 would also fit for a 16/20/28 combo while they were at it. LCS called IFG who had to contact F.A.I.R. Couple days later they contacted me and said F.A.I.R. told them only the 28 and 410 were on the same frame. Surprise, Surprise....

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
double vision wrote:
hunterdau2 wrote:

Not for me.

Best,
Ted

I'm recoil sensitive and have to be careful. For decades I shot 10-12K rounds a year. About 15 years ago started flinching and had to look at either recoil reduction devices or going with a release trigger. I went with a PFS on my Joel Etchen Berretta custom combo. And limited myself to 1 oz. @1200 fps with it

Ugly as sin but it works. Took ~4 years but was finally able to work my way through the yips but finally was able to wean myself off the PFS and put the EELL stock back on

I have to pay attention to the volume I shoot and payload so that I don't fall back to flinching again. Have reduced my shooting to only 5-6K rounds a year but mainly due to COVID and closures last couple of years. Hoping this year will finally be able to shoot more once again.

With the exception of non tox all I use in SD for phez is 1 1/4 oz. of #5 Federal Upland in 6 pound 12 ga. guns. And never notice the recoil when shooting live birds. If I shoot more than 6 shots a day it is a real crappy day though.

12 ga. Benelli Ultralight at 6 pounds is one of my go to guns in SD.

As is an Ithaca 37 Upper Sandusky made 12 ga. Ultra Light. Normally put on a King Ferry 28" Mod bbl. which brings the weight down to 5 pounds 15 oz. Pretty sure this is the only section of land in SD without a fence post to set the gun on so it is laying on the ground.

Tried a 687 UL Deluxe as well which comes in at 6 pounds several of my friends use them. Stripped it and refinished it and picked up a full set of choke tubes from Midway during their Black Friday sales a few years back.

With 28" bbl. on the alloy frame it is just to neutral in my hands and it ended up going down the road. I normally hunt ruff with 16 ga. but 5-6 years ago I did commit 12 ga. a time or 2, with 1 oz. loads

In retrospect guess it was OK for short fast shots. But not so much out on the prairie.

I'd rock a 6 pound 12 ga. Iside shooting 1 1/4 oz. Federal Upland on the prairie in a heart beat and maybe I should. If I needed another 12 ga. it would be at the top of my list. I shoot my 16 ga. Iside as well or better than any other gun I own and is my go to grouse gun now.

I'd want 30" barrels on a 12 ga. Iside though.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:05 am  Reply with quote

A 6lb 12 ga. double IS nice, for me anyway. My William Cashmore is a 6lb. 12 ga and I feed it 1 1/8 oz. loads.

Not unpleasant to shoot at all, but I always load ammo at about 1200 fps. I have fired a few 1 1/4 loads for the second shot, mostly because I still have a bunch of them to use up. When I need more reach, 1 1/8 oz. buffered loads do far more than the 1 1/4 standard loads and equal the performance of buffered 1 1/4 oz. loads as well.

The best thing is it weighs about the same as my Cogswell 16 ga. and handles very similar as well, giving me a nice short and long range combo. The 16 is choke skeet & mod, the 12 is choked mod & full. To be honest, my other guns see very little use now that I have these two guns.

Bear in mind that I am hunting with these guns, the most I ever shoot them at clays is a box or two during a session. When I know I will be shooting volume with the light 12, such as crows/ doves/ desert quail hunts, I like to use either 7/8 or 1 oz. loads. This also saves on components, which have gotten mighty spend lately.

As far as the Iside goes, a 16 & 12 combo might be nice, especially if steel shot comes into the equation (it being less available for 16 ga.).

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:03 am  Reply with quote

It's a "me" thing guys.

I have three 12 gauge shotguns at the moment that serve my purposes to a T, and they start at 7lbs. I'm not going to type up a long rationale for their existence.

Enjoy your 6 lb. 12's.

I get it.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Hunterdau2,

I am not sure if the Iside 16 gun is built gauge specific. I do know the Hunter Arms/L.C. Smith guns all are built on the correct size frames for each individual gauge, excepting the one 28 gauge they built for one of the Hunter children, that gun was built on their 20 gauge 00 frame. The 16 gauge guns weigh 6.2lbs and can vary slightly depending on the wood used and barrel length on each gun. My Silver Breech 16 gauge double gun weighs 6.0lbs with 28" barrels.. The restored 16 gauge 00 I just picked up weighs 6.5lbs, with its 30" Barrels.

If you are looking for gauge specific engineering design, purchase a good L.C. Smith double gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Hunter Arms/L.C. Smith Gauge Specific 16 gauge double guns.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers