16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's cheddite 16ga hulls
Pa's Sweet16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Looking to purchase some Herter's hulls. I realize these are hard to get, but somebody must have some that they are willing to part with. Let me know! Thanks, John
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Wish I could help---been a longtime since I've seen any.
df
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I have several cases of factory Herters #8 shot. Got them on sale at Cabelas years ago, at I believe $59.00. I shoot up a case, load those empties 3-4 times and toss them and then open a new case of shells. The Herters hulls split at the crimp after about three reloads. Good luck on your search for Herters hulls.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:59 am  Reply with quote

The UP is Gods country--I spend 2-3 weeks there each fall. How many hulls are you wanting, I can check my stash. I have also been told that you can load Federal 16s same as cheddite because they are both straight wall hulls, I have several hundred federal hulls that I have never reloaded. Maybe someone can weigh in on that.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

I have about 65 once fired herters, plus a bunch of other cheddite hulls and some federal, will trade for once fired rem game load hulls

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Stack16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have some I will let go, check your PM

Griff

probie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Stack... would you know/confirm the availability of Herter's old Pheasant load, 16ga 1 1/8 oz of # 5s @ 1220 ? Many opinion's out there, depending on where you live it seems. Many have said Herter's is oob. Here in Pa, they can't be found & i'm looking these last 2 years. Yet, in local Bass Pro, they have all the Herter's you want, if you want 12 ga. They even had 28s. So Herter's is still around, but locally they say they
can't get them. I'm not greedy, i'm trying to get just a few boxes. Do they still exist in 16ga?
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:20 am  Reply with quote

.410, 20 & 12 but no 16's in a web search...a bud bought some 12's in an Ohio Cabelas the other day.

https://ammoseek.com/shotgun-ammo/Herter%27s

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:36 am  Reply with quote

The Herter's loads that Bass Pro/Cabelas sells these days are not the same hulls as they were a few years back. No longer the good Cheddite hulls that reload great. Luckily I have a couple thousand of the cheddite hulls that I bought back when they were cheap.
I have loaded them many times and recently trimmed them down to 25/8" for use in my short chamber LC Smith.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
probie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:42 am  Reply with quote

What a shame; a double whammy? Can't find them in 16ga now and other Herter's hulls questionable?
Only plus i guess is that at least Herter's are still being made. Other internet savants had them as being totally discontinued. In their day they were an affordable option to the other brands. I just got around to them too late. Was reading one wintery night when i came across a discussion about them & finally decided to try some. Their specs seemed to fit perfectly with what many of the reloading gurus were reloading anyway.
If the current component mess ever straightens out that's the load i would try & duplicate. I've come across only 2 guys who had some and i even offered primers in trade, but they wouldn't part. Must be good. If anyone sees them, would appreciate a notice.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 am  Reply with quote

I bought a few cases of them, not a premium load by any stretch of the imagination but they did just fine for clay target, doves and quail at moderate distances. The hulls were the big plus since these affordable shells let a lot of us build up a decent supply of empties.

I actually like loading the RGL's (Rem hull) better, but many here complain of short crimp life with those, about 2-3 loadings. Rem hulls vary in length quite a bit, so I cut all of mine down to 2 1/2" and love them for that. This makes for a thicker hull at the crimp mouth and I will eventually report back on their life span in this form.

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Probie I'm wondering if you arent confusing the stats on the original Herters Pheasant loads. I have both the 12 & 16 ga versions. The 12's are 1 1/4 oz at a rated 1220 while the 16s are 1 1/8 oz but at 1280fps; both 5's. If you just want cheddite hulls, you know you can get them here? www.ballisticproducts.com
Good luck in your search

Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Loaded a bunch of Herters until they quit selling them. Also reloaded the Winchester Game load hull which is a Cheddite hull like the Herters and reloads with the same data.

The plastic in the Win hull seemed softer and more pliable and was good for 8 reloads instead of 2-4 like the Herters. The Win hulls were also more consistant as far as wear, they all wore out at the same time instead of some only getting 2 reloads and the rest going 3 or 4 like the Herters.

Walmart used to sell the Winchesters for $9.17 a box last year, haven't looked lately to see if they still sell them. They were more expensive than the Herters but had a much better hull with at least twice the reloading life.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:43 am  Reply with quote

One thing people don't realize about the different of the cheddite hull no matter what brand of shell your shooting except the RGL. The life span of the reload many times depends on the color. Different colors have different pigment in the colors. So their is a different lifespan of the hull. Especially at the crimp. Difference if colors changes the life span . If you use the same load everytime. But by changing different loads of the same hull of the same color will give a different answer without proper identification and record keeping.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Now I just have to test this… Got a few bags of new cheddite green, blue, and red. I missed out on the clear and purples when available dang it.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31