16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's cheddite 16ga hulls
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Now I just have to test this… Got a few bags of new cheddite green, blue, and red. I missed out on the clear and purples when available dang it.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

probie wrote:
Stack... would you know/confirm the availability of Herter's old Pheasant load, 16ga 1 1/8 oz of # 5s @ 1220 ? Many opinion's out there, depending on where you live it seems. Many have said Herter's is oob. Here in Pa, they can't be found & i'm looking these last 2 years. Yet, in local Bass Pro, they have all the Herter's you want, if you want 12 ga. They even had 28s. So Herter's is still around, but locally they say they
can't get them. I'm not greedy, i'm trying to get just a few boxes. Do they still exist in 16ga?

probie wrote:
What a shame; a double whammy? Can't find them in 16ga now and other Herter's hulls questionable?
Only plus i guess is that at least Herter's are still being made. Other internet savants had them as being totally discontinued. In their day they were an affordable option to the other brands. I just got around to them too late. Was reading one wintery night when i came across a discussion about them & finally decided to try some. Their specs seemed to fit perfectly with what many of the reloading gurus were reloading anyway.
If the current component mess ever straightens out that's the load i would try & duplicate. I've come across only 2 guys who had some and i even offered primers in trade, but they wouldn't part. Must be good. If anyone sees them, would appreciate a notice.

I'm guessing you are a "younger" person. Herters went out of business sometime in the late 70's. Their catalog was thicker than the Sears Christmas Wishbook and in the 60's and 70's used to spend hours dreaming over it.

Some things like polar bear fur for fly tying were gems. Much of it was junk but didn't know it until you got it in your hands. George Herter was a character and exaggerated everything.

Model Perfect
Guaranteed not to rust, rot, mold, or mildew
Personally tested on five continents by Jacque Herter Jr.

When they went under Cabelas bought the name. They slapped it on a few waterfowl things and still do once in awhile. Note the Model Perfect above and the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt boots which was a twist on it.

When Bass Pro took over Cabelas they also got the Herters name that is why you seen the Herters shells at BP. None of the above made them, they contracted out to Cheddite until a few years ago when they switched to Winchester for the contract.

As mentioned they are far from a premium shell either the old or new. The old Cheddite ones stopped being shipped in summer of 2018. Seen the writing on the wall and toward the end when I would order a flat they would just throw boxes on the shelf in a box. With no packing but at $5 a box I didn't complain.

The shot size is undersized it is European based. The #8 are more like #8.5 in size. Which is fine for skeet and close clay targets. 7.5 measure out at 8's.

While they were made by Cheddite they were made at a lower price point and the hulls are thinner than the other colors you get new Cheddite hulls from BPI or Precision Reloading. I use them in semi autos and pumps where I know they are going to hit the ground and won't cry if they get stepped on LOL.

I use an 8 point crimp on the new Cheddtie hulls and normally that works fine on 6 point once fired hulls as well. With the Herters not so much but not terrible either.

I do have a couple 16 ga. 6 point crimpers and need to start switching them out when I load the Herters. Or not, I can live with them.
df
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
Loaded a bunch of Herters until they quit selling them. Also reloaded the Winchester Game load hull which is a Cheddite hull like the Herters and reloads with the same data.

The plastic in the Win hull seemed softer and more pliable and was good for 8 reloads instead of 2-4 like the Herters. The Win hulls were also more consistant as far as wear, they all wore out at the same time instead of some only getting 2 reloads and the rest going 3 or 4 like the Herters.

Walmart used to sell the Winchesters for $9.17 a box last year, haven't looked lately to see if they still sell them. They were more expensive than the Herters but had a much better hull with at least twice the reloading life.

I’ve had the same experience with the Herters hulls and the Winchester hulls.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

I noticed couple years ago that the Winchester started to deteriorate ( or get squishy or soft along the side where their were a short black arrow I believe that what it was. ) Anyway when I took them out of the chamber I would roll the hull between my thumb and fingers alittle above the brass. You could feel the softness. By looking you could faintly a longitudinal separation beginning. That was a quick heads up. But only on the winchesters.