16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  REM 1100 16gauge
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:01 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a very nice Rem Classic Field 16 vent rib Rem choke 28 inch. What is everyone opinion on barrel length was looking for a 26 inch but these guns don't come around very often. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by bigblue on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 am; edited 2 times in total
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have an OU that has a two barrel set, one 26" one 28". The 26 has a balance point just slightly closer than the 28 I don't notice a great deal of difference between the two; possibly a little more follow through with the 28.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 am  Reply with quote

I am guessing that since you listed the gun as a 'classic field', the shotgun has Remchokes. If it does I really don't have an opinion because I have never handled the later model 1100 - 16's.

On the chance that you have an 1100 - 16 made before 1980......IMHO the shotgun needs the 28" barrel. The reason is, my 1100 - 16, with the bolt closed, balances right at the operating lever on the bolt and this gun had a Simmons rib and Briley Thin Walls added. For me, a shorter 26" barrel is going to cause the shotgun to balance too close to the trigger for my liking.

This is only my opinion. I do not like short, light, shotguns that balance too much towards the stock. In between the hands or a bit weight forward is much more comfortable for me.

madtrapper143
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:02 am  Reply with quote

My 1100 16 bore is a late 1960's with 28" plain barrel. It has very good balance and handling qualities. When Remington announced the return of the 1100 chambered in 16 bore I couldn't wait to get one. I finally got my hands on a 26" vent Rem Choke model about 2 years later. Needless to say it stayed in the shop. It was well over 8 pounds and very muzzle heavy. Handling the early gun was night and day with the later. Having said that a 26" fixed IMP CYL vent rib from the early production would likely be very nice compared to the 12 gauge barrel with a 16 gauge bore on the Classic Field. Have to say the Classic Field was a good LOOKING shotgun. I also think it would make a decent duck gun where you don't have to carry it all day.

Darryl

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

My Remington 1100 16 Guage also has a 28" Vent Rib Barrel with Rem Chokes. I put a Sporting Pad on it and it matches my 1100 Sporting models in 12,20,28 and .410 now.

28" Works just fine for me.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I bought an early version w/28 inch bbl.Balanced fine---problem was it went back to Remington three times for repairs Shocked Last time it came back w/a new receiver Rolling Eyes Found a new home for it.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

bigblue wrote:
Picked up a very nice Rem Classic Field 16 vent rib Rem choke 28 inch. What is everyone opinion on barrel length was looking for a 26 inch but these guns don't come around very often. Thanks for any replies.

my 2 pennies...

I have 3 1100's, 2 made in '64 and one a few years later. All vent rib.
26" IC
26" Mod
28" Full
I also have 2 extra barrels, 1 28" mod and an extra 28" Full

My favorite is the 26" Mod. I hunt (mostly) in Montana; Huns, sharptail and pheasant. Full disclosure, I usually use my Citori Superlight in 26"

Never had an issue cycling factory ammo that is 1 1/8 OZ or heavier, some brands of light loads cycle inconsistently - not quite enough pressure I guess.

happy hunting

bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:57 am  Reply with quote

At 8 pounds the weight was a issue for me but will some wood swapping I have it down to 7.6 pounds that came as a surprise to me I can live with that weight. A little mussel heavy with the 28 " Rem Choke barrel that has the same dia as the 12gauge light contour but it swings nicely . Got some light loads ready only waiting on the Trulock chokes then some clays and a crow hunt if this weather ever breaks.

Last edited by bigblue on Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:01 am  Reply with quote

manofthewoods wrote:
bigblue wrote:

my 2 pennies...

I have 3 1100's, 2 made in '64 and one a few years later. All vent rib.
26" IC
26" Mod
28" Full
I also have 2 extra barrels, 1 28" mod and an extra 28" Full

My favorite is the 26" Mod. I hunt (mostly) in Montana; Huns, sharptail and pheasant. Full disclosure, I usually use my Citori Superlight in 26"

Never had an issue cycling factory ammo that is 1 1/8 OZ or heavier, some brands of light loads cycle inconsistently - not quite enough pressure I guess.

happy hunting
You are a lucking man with that set . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy