16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Going to chronographs 12GA., loads for turkey hunting.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:11 am  Reply with quote

Anything to following beside avoid hitting the screens and the standoff?

Old Pact Model 1 being used.

Have three loads to try in original AA hulls, have FO 616, W209 & Fed 209A, wads will be WAA12, WT12T, & CB3118-12.

Larry Del Greco recommended using 1200fps, but allows some use of 1300fps, thruthe Parker HV.
Shot will #5 lead .
Powder will be Green Dot, the psi will likely range from 8500 - 9500 psi [per Alliant load manual.

What say the brethren?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Best on a cloudy day, using the diffusers.

If you have a load with known velocity, use that first so you have an idea of what your readings actually are, and if you need to adjust the final numbers. Or adjust the distance from muzzle to the start skyscreen.

I would definitely not start off with the loads you actually want to chronograph. Use some target stuff to make sure you can get not only accurate velocities but more importantly consistent velocities.

If you have never used this chronograph before, there could be a learning curve. Do not be afraid to move the distance from muzzle to start skyscreen to get consistent velocities. DO NOT try 3 rounds and think you have it. Burn some ammo to be sure that you will get good readings.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I am new to actually hunting turkeys but I'm scheduled to go on a mentored hunt next mo in NE Wa. In e-mails with the mentor he said that the most important aspect of the gun/load is to be able to put a dense pattern in a ten inch circle at 30 yards (he'll be calling and can expect a bird to get close). So I'm taking a few guns to the range (12,16,20 & 410) for 10" pattern testing. With the results I'll then see what velocities can accompany the dense pattern.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Sorted through leftover AA hulls and reloaded 25 as follows

Win 209,
17.7 gr Green dot,
waa12 wad,
& 1-1/8 oz of number five shot [for 13 hulls] & 12 hulls in 7-1/2 shot.

The 5's will load the full choke barrel and the 7-1/2 in the Modified barrel.

Alliant powder tech indicated that "fps" should be 1150 max, and pressure should be 8500 psi.

This keeping with LDG advise to use no more than 1220 FPS and pressure keeping in the 9500 range.

Will get and pattern on a target shortly.

Now, to get some 16 hulls loaded with some Longshot and SP16 wads and winchester current hulls.
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I'm confused as to the emphasis on velocity. I feel it makes little difference if it's 1,200 fps or 1,300 fps as long the shells you are using are putting a fairly dense pattern in a 10" circle at 30 or 40 yards. Either velocity will kill a turkey if you put the pattern in the right spot. I'd be more concerned on how the shells pattern than worrying about 100 fps difference.

Browning BPS Upland Special
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Consumer grade chronographs can be quite finicky to set up and use. Users will often see numbers in the mid 1100s range which are the result of the sonic velocity pressure wave, not the projectile. The muzzle blast can also have a jarring effect on the tripod, sky screens , or the device itself, producing anomalous values far outside the normal range.

Most of the problems are caused by insufficient distance from the muzzle. Bad data can also result from excess height of the shot above the sensors. The sky screens often create their own problems from movement and vibration. Ideally the sky is a perfectly flat gray cloud layer (as we often have here in the PNW) for which screens are unnecessary, but most sky conditions can only be handled with screens.

We have found a three foot distance to be essential, with the shots be within 4 inches above the detectors. Any more or less brings problems. Your device will come with its own directions so start with them. An extremely solid mount or tripod is a necessity.

Your data will improve as you gain experience with your device. As posted above, prepare to burn a lot of powder when you start using a chronograph.

Good Luck
B.
Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I tilt the chrony on its side so the sensors aren't looking straight up. I use chopsticks in place of the metal screen supports, that way if I hit one accidentally, I won't mess anything up. I have a metal shield that is attached to the front as well. I mark the shield and chopsticks with reference marks to aid in aiming.
megasupermagnum
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

It seems like a waste of time to me. It takes over 300 fps to make up the difference of a single shot size. Just run your loads with #7.5, or trade that speed for payload, and run a heavier load of #6. A #6 at 1000 fps is lethal to turkeys for way beyond what you will get a good pattern.