16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  How many 16's do you guys have, and what are they?
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am  Reply with quote

I'm new (today), so humor me if you are willing ..... I used to own Hill Rod and Gun (sold out in 2001).... and I love the 16, it's nearly all I shoot, except for field goose hunting (Model 21 in 12 bore, which is by far the nicest gun I own if you consider $ value alone). ......

At heart, I am CHEAP, so here are my 16's:

Win. Model 12 26" I.C. (my first 16, now favored by my 14 yr old, with which he killed his first wild rooster, sharptail, and sage hen this fall....)

French 'no name" 5 lbs, briley chokes, my go to gun 90% of the time for the last 20 years, I have seriously tried to favor "better" (way better) guns for it, but have always come back to it, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of thing..... I can just plain hit with it better than anything else I've ever shot.....

Browning cherry Sweet 16 (Belgium 1963, bought from a pastor friend who bought it new back then while working in an Arkansas hardware store)

Manufrance Robust ejector, higher grade, full engraved, needs new ejector springs which Charlie (Hill R and G) is working on, haven't shot it yet, but it looks promising as a back up gun lest my No. 1 Frenchie sieze up or somethin' (like me doing a stupid).

Stevens Model 11, shaved down and chequered by Charlie (Hill Rod and Gun)....use it for waterfowl and steel shot... (cost like $200)

Lefever Nitro Special 28" IC Mod, gave it to my son for Christmas this year, he needs a double, right? ($325)

well, that's it for now, but I'm always lookin for that sweet deal....ESPECIALLY the amazingly undervalued, underappreciated, rock solid pre war Belgian and French stuff in 16 floatin' around out there, but DO check bbl. wall thicknesses, chamber length and probe any pitting for depth with a bent coat hanger, ESPECIALLY if damascus.... and don't pay more than a grand unless it's a real good name, but the guild stuff is pretty decent and CHEAP... and they swing and point and kill clays and live birds as good as stuff priced THOUSANDS more....

Nice to be among you all at last (have known of this for years, finally joined up after recently stumbling across the website), hope you'll share your 16 info with me....

(Sometime it would be nice to share some of the guns I HAVE HAD, but couldn't justify hanging onto because I'm so hard on stuff, and CHEAP..... like the Dickson and Purdey and Boss and Jefferey, etc...) the above list is truly it, even after running an English gun shop for 5 years..... surprised? Don't be, I'm half Scottish and so shamelessly cheap...

happy new year,

Duncan Hill

mackbrdhtr
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote

I have to say a hearty Amen to the little French double. I have a "Guild" gun that weights in at five pounds, fourteen ounces that is nothing short of SWEET. It also is my "go to" gun of choice. My only complaint is that it does not have an automatic safety like my Merkel 12, or Ithaca 20. Had thoughts of trading it off to get something with an automatic safety, but every time I take it out of the safe (and especially shoot it), reality tells me that I would be a very sorry idiot by letting it go. Double checking ain't so bad of a habit to get into.
bigkev
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I have owned a few but have sold them in order to fund my new purchase which will be a CSMC Fox DE grade that I ordered back in May. I got it in 16 gauge with 30" bbls. and a second set in 20 gauge with 29" bbls. It will have a silver nitride finish with deep relief engraving and a grouse engraved on the bottom per my picture. I also picked out some killer wood. She should be ready in April/May of 2007.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Merkel 1620, Browning Gran Lightning, 1938 J.P. Sauer drilling.

Coming attractions:

New Ithaca 37

Parker (when I find the right one)

Sweet 16 (when I find the right one)

Galazan 21 (when I can afford it, hopefully before I retire)
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Duncan! Coincidently, I just purchased a Jeffrey (12ga Embarassed ) from Charlie at Hill Rod and Gun (still in transit).

I have a Merkel 1620 which is designated as #11 - - an early import?

Hc

storybrown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome!

I have a Benelli SBE 12 and Legacy 20. I'm increasingly devoted to both these as I continue to learn them, but my favorites are a Browning Citori Lightning Feather 16 and CZ Ringneck SxS 16. I reload for these. also have a new SKB 385 Field SxS 28 ga, which I admire very much but prolly don't yet really like as much as I should.

I will be on the lookout for another (affordable) 16 next Fall, prolly.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Duncan. By the way it is refered to as thrifty not cheap. I stopped by and met Charlie last year, what a gentelman. I have a fetish for Italian shotguns especially Beretta SxS's. I have a 1933 16g, a model 409PB 16g, a model 424 16g and a model 411E 16g. To cover all the bad weather and hauling around in the truck I have a 48 Sportsman and a model 11.
Best,
Ron
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Just two-a modern Ithaca Ultralite pump, aluminum receiver, screw choke gun that is too nice to use in the rain, and a Tobin, about 100 years old, photos elsewhere on the board.

My Darne 12 weighs less than my 16 Tobin, and I feed it 1 oz, 1 1/16oz and, when the birds are really asking for it, 1 1/8th oz Eley loads.

I will go out on a limb, and say that my collection resembles yours-more of an accumulation, based on variables outside the focus of a true collection. Money is often the focal point. Single shots, pumps, doubles, whatever, I seem to have a little of something in that safe, except autoloaders.
Best,
Ted
grouser47
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Watson Brothers SxS Cyl/Lt mod
Winchester Model 24, imp cyl' mod dearly love the old thing and shoot it about as good as anything I own & deadly at sporting clays.
Winchester Mod 12, Mod
Ithaca Mod 37, full at the moment
Browning Auto 5, full at the moment
Merkel 200E, 0/U -- Just got it -- think this will become my go to gun

Guess that makes 6 ----- but Im still counting on more to come.
Very Happy Cheers!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

What I have today may be traded tomorrow Twisted Evil
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Westley Richards boxlock sxs
Merkel 2016 (in transit. I had a 2001EL made in 20 gauge a couple of years ago and now 16 gauge barrels are available the gun is back in Germany having the additional barrels fitted. Should see it next month. Very Happy

Next one is probably an Ithaca 37. I was left a 12 gauge Featherweight and a 20 gauge Ultraweight last year - my first ever experience with pumps - and like them so much that I'm keen to add a 16 gauge when the new ones are available.

Ross
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

A 16ga. 5 lb-10 oz. Belgian with 26 inch barrels whose maker didn't last through the wars. A Franz Jaeger "Herold" with 27 1/2" barrels 6 lbs. and high quality engraving (My go to gun). A 6 lb. Karl Kormes with 30" tubes. A J.P. Sauer Grade 35 (made for the American market). And thrust in the middle of all that a Batavia Baker.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

Highcountry wrote:
Welcome aboard Duncan! Coincidently, I just purchased a Jeffrey (12ga Embarassed ) from Charlie at Hill Rod and Gun (still in transit).

I have a Merkel 1620 which is designated as #11 - - an early import?

Hc

Chuckie will treat you right....

Duncan

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Parker VHE, 1936

Auto-5, Standard Sixteen, straight stock, 1923

Auto-5, Sweet Sixteen, 1951

Jeff
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Parker VHE, 1936

Auto-5, Standard Sixteen, straight stock, 1923

Auto-5, Sweet Sixteen, 1951

Jeff

cool guns, which do you grab off the rack when you head afield and you want that extra confidence? which is the "old friend"?

Duncan