16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  How many 16's do you guys have, and what are they?
Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 am  Reply with quote

1919 L.C. Smith Field Grade 16 gauge, 30 inch barrels, chambers lengthened to 2.75, right barrel opened to .006 and left barrel currently being opened to .012, all metal has been professionally restored. Next up on the restoration list, the stock. This gun has taken many wild roosters over my dog in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin, as well as a few grouse and woodcock. I consider it my main pheasant gun for good weather hunting. I've just started to use it on the skeet field and the results were promising. I'm looking foward to shooting it in the Classic in May.
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Scatrgunr wrote:
1919 L.C. Smith Field Grade 16 gauge, 30 inch barrels, chambers lengthened to 2.75, right barrel opened to .006 and left barrel currently being opened to .012, all metal has been professionally restored. Next up on the restoration list, the stock. This gun has taken many wild roosters over my dog in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin, as well as a few grouse and woodcock. I consider it my main pheasant gun for good weather hunting. I've just started to use it on the skeet field and the results were promising. I'm looking foward to shooting it in the Classic in May.

great gun, I've got a 1921 that I am opeing to IC/IC for clays and skeet, mine's 28", with original 2 3/4" and so marked (unusual)....also, ejectors...

thanks for sharing,

Duncan

Huntschool
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a little Sauer with Krupp/Essen bbls.

and the fore end:

Its a "Knockabout built for Louis Jordan Co, Chicago in 1897. 5.5 lbs, 2.5" chambers 28" bbls choked .000 and .010. Its a woodcock killin beast

Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Bruce, that thing is awesome! I shoot a FIVE pound even 16 for nearly everything (that is until I joined up with this crew and started buying some yank guns....)...mine has Brileys in it, and that is what I use....CYL and IC all the time..... thanks for sharing, and showing the pics, mine isn't even half that "purty".... wonderful, lightweight, extraordinary little gun you have there.........

Duncan

Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
Scatrgunr wrote:

great gun, I've got a 1921 that I am opeing to IC/IC for clays and skeet, mine's 28", with original 2 3/4" and so marked (unusual)....also, ejectors...

thanks for sharing,

Duncan

Sounds nice indeed. I originally wanted 28" barrels but over the years I've become used to what I have. The 2.75 chambers you have are quite interesting as I remember reading that Hunter had stayed with the 2 9/16" chambers until fairly late (although the exact year escapes me at the moment). My big complaint with mine is a shortish buttstock. I use a velcro fastening leather pad to effectively lengthen the pull. This pad also makes for a trouble free mount against my jacket in the field. Someday I hope to get fitted for my stock dimensions and have a new buttstock made for this gun. It's always just a matter of $$$$. Wink
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

...I'll likely put a decelerator clays pad on mine for that very reason, so on the mount, the butt slips to the shoulder smoothly.... mine must be special order, I guess....with those chambers like that....

It will be awhile before I get to try it out....needs a little crack repair at the stock head, and old 85 year old oil removed first so the glue will hold up.......can't wait to shoot it....I think I'm really going to like it. It seems to fit well, but the proof is in the shooting....

steveyacht
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Only Three 16 Gauge guns (currently) Nearly bought one a couple days ago but my budget got in the way.

Ithaca Flues with Ejectors. Shipped in 1913 and I have ORIGINAL Box!!!!

Baker 1919 SxS Beautiful shooting piece, swings like another arm, but chokes a wee bit too tight,

French "no name" Gun that is currently at the 'smith

Wish I still had category All original Browning Sweet Sixteen that I bought from the man that got it new in the early 1950's.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

steveyacht wrote:
Only Three 16 Gauge guns (currently) Nearly bought one a couple days ago but my budget got in the way.

Ithaca Flues with Ejectors. Shipped in 1913 and I have ORIGINAL Box!!!!

Baker 1919 SxS Beautiful shooting piece, swings like another arm, but chokes a wee bit too tight,

French "no name" Gun that is currently at the 'smith

Wish I still had category All original Browning Sweet Sixteen that I bought from the man that got it new in the early 1950's.

these are great guns....which is your "grab it and go, I gotta look good and hit stuff" gun? Also, is your Frenchie superlight weight??

thanks for sharing....and what did you ALMOST buy, save for that pesky budget?

Duncan

steveyacht
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:09 am  Reply with quote

"IF" I were to have a grab it and go gun, out of the three it would be the Baker. It just feels like a part of me when I am using it.

The Flues, while a great little lightweight gun is damned near unshootable because of the extreme drop at heel stock dimensions soooooooo It is currently at the stock maker's being fitted with a new stock made, to my dimensions, out of some Bastogne that I have had hanging around for about 20 years.

The French SxS I have never fired. It is at the 'smith to be totally disassembled, cleaned, internals polished up, inspected and fitted with a period correct Silvers pad. I really have no idea what she weighs.

I am currently on a Hammer gun kick having recently purchased an Army & Navy .410 at a local gun show. Looked like a rose in a forest of thorns amidst all those "black" guns that were there. Some guy traded it for a tactical 12 gauge monster and had no idea of the value, neither did the cammo attired dealer (complete with a wad of Copenhagen). Best buy I have made since I bought an English SLNE (circa 1890) Engraved gun for under $700!!!

I saw a really nice Belgian hammer gun Monday at a shop, but my heart and my wallet got into a very public debate ............ Wallet winning this round after MANY previous losses! Wallet is 2 and 0 in less than a week having won again when the heart was fondling a new Berettta 391 Teknys with goorgeous wood last Saturday! Hope current winning streak does not last long!

Last edited by steveyacht on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:12 am  Reply with quote

steveyacht wrote:
"IF" I were to have a grab it and go gun, out of the three it would be the Baker. It just feels like a part of me when I am using it. The Flues, while a great little lightweight gun is damned near unshootable because of the extreem drop at heel stock dimensions soooooooo It is currently at the stock makers being fitted with a new stock made, with my dimensions, out of some Bastogne that I have had hanging around for about 20 years. The Frenchi SxS I have never fired. It is at the 'smith to be totally disassembled, cleaned, internals polished up, inspected and fitted with a period correct Silvers pad. I really have no idea what she weighs.

I am currently on a Hammer gun kick having recently purchased an Army & Navy .410 at a local gun show. Looked like a rose among thorns amidst all those "black" guns that were there. Some guy traded it for a tactical 12 gauge monster and had no idea of the value, neither did the cammo attired dealer (compete with a wad of Copenhagen). Best buy I have made since I bought an English SLNE (circa 1890) Engraved gun for under $700!!!

I saw a really nice Belgian hammer gun Monday at a shop, but my heart and my wallet got into a very public debate ............ Wallet winning this round after MANY previous losses! Wallet is 2 and 0 in less than a week having won again when the heart wasa fondling a new Berettta 391 Teknys last Saturday! Hope current winning streak does not last long!

thanks, looking forward to hearing when you breakfown and whup up on that stubborn little wallet....

ckirk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Citori 16 ga. White Lightning. Based my first clays outing, the 16 ga may quickly supplant my BSS 20 ga. for upland birds and the Pigeon grade Superposed 12 ga. my grandfather affectionately called "the meat gun". I've bought and sold many others, but the previous three will be in the family safe for generations (I hope).

Seems I've been bitten by the bug, as I am searching high and low for just the right Fox 16 ga. for my daughter...Ainsley.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 am  Reply with quote

ckirk wrote:
I recently acquired a Citori 16 ga. White Lightning. Based my first clays outing, the 16 ga may quickly supplant my BSS 20 ga. for upland birds and the Pigeon grade Superposed 12 ga. my grandfather affectionately called "the meat gun". I've bought and sold many others, but the previous three will be in the family safe for generations (I hope).

Seems I've been bitten by the bug, as I am searching high and low for just the right Fox 16 ga. for my daughter...Ainsley.

...some of those 26" Sterlingworths with the No. 4 barrels (I am fortunate enough to have recently gotten one) are out there and are just shy of 6 pounds, and would be perfect for her.... without ejectors, they should be available well under the $2000 mark. The price climbs substantially (as well as the availability) if ejectors are required..... you see ejectors more often in the graded guns, and then the price really shoots up there....

ckirk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun,

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something a little more ornate than a Sterlie. I have a sibling rivalry to contend with. My son is going to someday inherit my dad's pristine 1961 Diana grade superposed 20 ga., so I've got to find something comparable for my daughter. She likes the side by each and since the Fox's have her name on them (sans "i"), she said "I just have to have one". I tried to steer her toward the venerable Model 21, but she didn't budge.

There is no big rush and what could be better than spending time with your kids shopping for scatterguns?

Cheers,
Chris
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Huntschool wrote:
Here is a little Sauer with Krupp/Essen bbls.

and the fore end:

Its a "Knockabout built for Louis Jordan Co, Chicago in 1897. 5.5 lbs, 2.5" chambers 28" bbls choked .000 and .010. Its a woodcock killin beast

Now, thats pretty.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

ckirk wrote:
Britgun,

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something a little more ornate than a Sterlie. I have a sibling rivalry to contend with. My son is going to someday inherit my dad's pristine 1961 Diana grade superposed 20 ga., so I've got to find something comparable for my daughter. She likes the side by each and since the Fox's have her name on them (sans "i"), she said "I just have to have one". I tried to steer her toward the venerable Model 21, but she didn't budge.

There is no big rush and what could be better than spending time with your kids shopping for scatterguns?

Cheers,
Chris

so you lost me, what exactly IS your daughter's name? (and yes, you will have fun shopping for her, I can tell....) Smile