16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester 209….?
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck finding these primers? The last ones I bought new were in the blue boxes. The newer boxes are red and black, but I have looked all over for them with no luck.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Saw some blue boxed ones 1 1/2 year or so ago in Marion,Il.$69.99/1000 limit 1!!!!Never have seen any of the "new" production.BPI seems to get in Ched's every 6 weeks or so if that helps.Same as Winn's.
Carnelian
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

"Same as a Win". On the Trap Shooters forum they are posting the results of test load that you may want to look at. They may not be the same as Wins.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

I saw them for $7/100 limit of 200 in a shop on the east side of Evansville Ind about a month ago.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 1000 in the red and black box from powder valley a few months ago, have not tried them yet, about $70 with shipping

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
df
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:05 am  Reply with quote

I’ve not seen the new or old for sale in several years. I was smart, ok lucky enough, to stock up on the blue box ones 4-5 years ago. Loaded some 16 ga yesterday with them.
probie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Went to a decent gun show yesterday about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh. Just the thing for a rainy day & no other pressing obligations. Came across 3 vendors who had "some" primers for sale. The one who had the most had Fed 209s and he claimed he sold what he had @ $100/k. Another one said he got $125 for his !!!!!!!(bs i hope)
The third had Cheds @ $90/k; no takers. This is getting all ludicrous.
On the way to Pittsburgh stopped by a warehouse that has tons of everything; ExcCEPT primers. Hasn't seen a Win for over a year and said doesn't expect to see any as Win got a gov contract & all production is going towards that. What does that have to do with a shotgun primer ? AS far as Feds go, they haven't seen any since January.
On positive note, did pick up a keg of Herco that i sit down & look at......

I think we should have a kickback against Win. Boycott EVERYTHING they try to sell. I do notice that a lot of loaded Win shell ammo is returning to the shelves, ALL at about $10 more than the other competitors, at least by me here in south central Pa. Why don't we just let everything Win ROT on the shelves till they get the message.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:26 am  Reply with quote

LOOT-i-crous!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have been getting my Win 209 primers lately...by trading other stuff I don't use anymore for them. Yesterday I traded for 900+ Win 209's and 3 1/2 lbs. of Solo 1250. Now if I could just find someone around here with a bunch of lead shot to trade.

As far as Win prices go... the one who really chaps me these days is Chris Hogdon. Hogdon has bought out every powder company but Alliant, Vihta Vouri, and Norma, plus is the distributor for Alliant. Not good. Suddenly, it's all $45-50 per pound around here. Most of the great IMR powders have been discontinued too. Hodgdon has everybody by the short and curlies now.

probie
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 am  Reply with quote

"by trading other stuff I don't use anymore for them".

THATS exactly the same conclusion i came to; 15k other primers, lbs of powder, carbine ammo, etc and haven't had ONE taker. Maybe they think primers will replace the gold standard? On second thought, they might be right ????
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Gents: I really don't see things getting any better in the next year. I hope I'm wrong here, but time will tell. It would be nice to trade for stuff, but sure don't seem like there is anyone in Texas that wants to trade. You would think as big as this state is there would be lots of reloaders, but here in Houston anyway don't seem like it. I often see old primers going for today's prices, or people want to trade 1000-win primers for 5000 cheddite's or some other shit sided deal. It amazes me how some so called reloaders will stick it to other reloaders just to make a buck.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I would say it’s time to start developing recipes with the other brands that are available, but unfortunately that is waaay beyond me. And test component substitutions in existing recipes to allow for more flexibility.

I for one have a few target loads that I intend to send in for testing with all the different primers I have. If it’s Win today guaranteed it will be somebody else tomorrow.

When there’s a bottleneck, break the bottle….

stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am  Reply with quote

I believe more updated universal loads are needed. Lee’s and Lymans older manuals list several that still work. There ought to be similar loads with modern powders that are safe work well enough.
probie
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Good posts these last three. RG in Texas(Remember the Alamo), I share the same feeling; can't find anyone close enough to do a deal OR, maybe because we can't ship primers/powder w/o being hassled or paying the lousy "haz mat" fee. Or, driving distances are too far for a trade. Wait till gas hits $16.50 a gallon.
Cit..."way beyond me", well, me too. Stopped reloading shotshells in '79 and there's a lot of new stuff out there since then, especially primer, hull, & wad wise. That's going to change the ballistics a whole lot. Luckily we have a whole bunch of guys here kind & willing enough to help us along. Don't feel like sending anything out yet for testing. There are a lot of decent 16 ga loads IF YOU HAVE
W209s or Fed 209As. I just can't get them and/or I'm not being to be shilled into paying $110/brick. I'm still using Rem 9 1/2s in my rifle loads; the sticker on the box says $13.50! Hey anybody, can i stuff a 9 1/2 in my shot hull ? Hell, my Rem 870 12ga wingmaster cost me $92 in '72. YES, i know, i'm ancient and then there's inflation etc. Maybe, but how come some GS are offering these primers @ $45-50, and others want $75-100? There's something wrong there & i'm not about to finance it.
Steve....great idea about undated loads & data. Don't see ANY of the component places in a BIG hurry to do so. Don't go holding your breath. And you's who shoot 12s & 20s have a much better chance of getting those updates than I do. I'm trying to feed 2-16ga, a A5 Sweet & a Parker SxS. In some places even trying to find anything related to 16 ga is like buying from Fred Flintstone.
Good luck to all of us.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve mentioned this here before, but my guns don’t care what primers I use and neither do I anymore, notwithstanding an article or two to the contrary by guys who test loads for a living and who found some outliers. I’ve closely examined all our available tables, and the plain vanilla 1200 fps loads I shoot vary little if any with primers. If primers mattered to my guns I wouldn’t shoot them at all, and probably get rid of them. I really think with the implosion of the reloading components industry that it’s time to move on from our obsession with clinically precise load recipes. We can’t replicate their recipes and test fixtures anyway, and crimps probably make as much difference as anything else.

V/R
B.