16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rem 209s
probie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Trying very hard to get back into reloading shells., now for 2- 16 gas, Have or can get all the components but the primers. A friend of mine who no longer reloads has offered me 1k Rem 209s.
I remember 40 yrs ago using them exclusively in 12 & 20 ga loads. But the spreadsheets i see today doesn't list any Rem 209 usage. Are they obsolete ? One in 50 loads use something called Rem 209sts but are used so remotely those loads wouldn't be of any use to me. Did i come close but no cigar ?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:56 am  Reply with quote

209 STS primers are the current Remington primers. They act exactly the same and are a direct replacement for the Remington 209P.

The Remington 209 (with no letters after the 9) are a bit different but, all 3, the 209, 209P and the 209 STS can be used interchangeably.

And you are correct not a lot of data for the Remington primers in the 16 gauge data.

probie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Hi mark & thanks.

So then they CANNOT be subbed for a say, Fed 209A or Win 209 ? damn.....
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Well you could sub the Remingtons for either the Winchester or the Federal but, in general the pressure and velocity will be less in all but a one off situation.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

What powders & hulls are you wanting to use? I have some older data books and might be able to help.

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Take the rem209's. At the worst, you can find someone to trade with.
Any primer is better than no primer.
jchandler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Probie

Have several loads using Rem 209 STS primers. Most with Remington hulls. Just loaded some last week. Buy them if the price is right
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

With primers @ $80/1000 -or more--- get what you can and ask questions here----Much subbing is going on as components are scarce.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

With the component shortage more universal loads are needed that are safe with nearly any component combination. These might not be the best or most powerful load but usually get the job done and are a lot better than no shooting.
probie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the answers. These Rem 209s are being offered to me by my son-in laws brother who no longer is reloading shells. As Mark has pointed out , there are not many loads in 16 ga LISTED on spreadsheets using the REM 209. But, there are some loads listed using the current rem primer 209 sts (?) . I either have or can get the components, ALL, except the primers. Ironically, i have surplus rifle/pistol primers and powder that i'm trying to trade but it seems like so does everyone else.

WYO, i have an abundance of hulls to chose from, some old Win Comp, Rem blacks, Feds, Rio, Fiocchis, Kents, and even Nobles. But with the 209 i guess that narrows it down to the Rems, Feds & Winnys. In powder, have a keg of Herco, and a few lbs of Universal, Unique, 4756, 700x & HS6.

If i can still get these Rems, i'll post again.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:24 am  Reply with quote

To me. If it's a 209 it goes into the hull. Been doing it for 55 years and never seen anything dangerous happen. I just went for price.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

From one of my older Alliant manuals: Rem 97 and 209P are interchangeable, Rem 209 is hotter and not interchangeable with Rem 97/ 209P.

I just stumbled into a stash of older primers, Alcan, Rem (including 57's), CCI 209, and Win 209 from the 80's & 90's. I have data for all, except Alcan and will be researching those. As a rule of thumb, light target loads in the 8,000-9,000 psi range give a lot of leeway for primer substitution in a modern gun...and that's what those Alcans will get used for, practice ammo.

bigblue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:27 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
From one of my older Alliant manuals: Rem 97 and 209P are interchangeable, Rem 209 is hotter and not interchangeable with Rem 97/ 209P.

I just stumbled into a stash of older primers, Alcan, Rem (including 57's), CCI 209, and Win 209 from the 80's & 90's. I have data for all, except Alcan and will be researching those. As a rule of thumb, light target loads in the 8,000-9,000 psi range give a lot of leeway for primer substitution in a modern gun...and that's what those Alcans will get used for, practice ammo.
Just loaded up 500 of the old Alcan 220 Max-Fires and 300 of CIL 4BP I had kicking around . Like WO stated low pressure data .