16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Only One Gun
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Started out with my 16 ga. Mod. 12. 28" full when14 yr
s old. Served me for everything. Later in years got a mod 12 2 barrel set. 28" full other barrel is 26" imp cyl. That would be all I need from trap to geese,duck to rabbits , quail. I have used a 12 ga. But felt like it was way overturned. Like carrying a wooden fence post. I say a 16 can handle everything a 12ga can do. At 75 yrs of age I haven't seen anything that a 12ga can do that the 16 couldn't. Bill.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 16 gauge Ithaca prewar R with a 26" barrel and a Poly Choke that is my very favorite shotgun. If I could only have one it would be that one. I bought and restored it a few years back and it quickly became my favorite. I use it 95% of the time. Best part is I've got less then $350 (plus labor) in it. It's one of four 16 gauge 37's in the safe. Very Happy
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Blasphemy on this site but if I could only have one gun it would be my Lindner Daly Diamond 12 gauge with 28” barrels and a leather pad, weighing 6 pounds, 7 ounces.

That gun will do me in more situations of the kind of hunting I like than any other gun I own.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

If it were just one gun, it would be the one hit the best with. For whatever reason, as all my doubles generally have the same dimensions, that would be my AYA 453 28ga.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
bigblue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
s old. Served me for everything. Later in years got a mod 12 2 barrel set. 28" full other barrel is 26" imp cyl. That would be all I need from trap to geese,duck to rabbits , quail. I have used a 12 ga. But felt like it was way overturned. Like carrying a wooden fence post. I say a 16 can handle everything a 12ga can do. At 75 yrs of age I haven't seen anything that a 12ga can do that the 16 couldn't. Bill.
I started out at 14 with a mod12 16 shot my first everything with that gun then picked up 12 two barrel set with same chokes as yours and I am 77 yrs young . We may be related Hammer Bill.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

bigblue wrote:
Hammer bill wrote:
I started out at 14 with a mod12 16 shot my first everything with that gun then picked up 12 two barrel set with same chokes as yours and I am 77 yrs young . We may be related Hammer Bill.

I should have mentioned my 2 barrel set is a 16. Matching serial #'s
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:14 am  Reply with quote

Smile You got me there Hammer mine are matched set but 12 gauge done by Simmons with matching serial numbers custom wood nice but not 16 gauge.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:04 am  Reply with quote

bigblue wrote:
Smile You got me there Hammer mine are matched set but 12 gauge done by Simmons with matching serial numbers custom wood nice but not 16 gauge.

I bought some custom wood ( 2nds' ) from Wenings at the grand couple years ago. I fitted and finished the wood about year ago. Finish is good and cured so I'll be sanding this summer and maybe some checkering. Also I put the ribs on myself after confiding with couple gunsmith. They came pout rather well to my surprise. Bill
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
bigblue wrote:

I bought some custom wood ( 2nds' ) from Wenings at the grand couple years ago. I fitted and finished the wood about year ago. Finish is good and cured so I'll be sanding this summer and maybe some checkering. Also I put the ribs on myself after confiding with couple gunsmith. They came pout rather well to my surprise. Bill
This is getting funny my wood came from Wenings bought at the Grand a few years back and stocked by a dear friend that has since past God Bless him.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

bigblue wrote:
Hammer bill wrote:
bigblue wrote:

This is getting funny my wood came from Wenings bought at the Grand a few years back and stocked by a dear friend that has since past God Bless him.

Getting word. Buddy I went with bought some maple for his model 12 when I bought my walnut. He had me checker it. He got back home and found he had cancer.nHe passed on about year later. I never charged him for the checkering. One heck of a good guy. He retired out of the Pentagon.
Rick O
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

...If I could only keep one, it would be my 30' 16ga Briley Equipped CSM Model 21.

Even though I primarily shoot a 16 Ga Model 12, I have never had a '21 fail or have issues,and I can't say that for any other shotgun in my experience.