16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rem 870 Firing Pin Lengths
Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

I need to get some information (hopefully facts) about Rem 870 Firing Pin lengths. I have an early 20ga Wingmaster that I inherited from my father. Being an early 20ga it is built on a 12ga frame. I don't know if that makes any difference or not.

The firing pin broke yesterday while shooting skeet. It snapped apart right where the thin forward section meets the larger end that is held in by a retaining pin. What puzzles me is that when I look online for a replacement part most of the overall lengths shown are 3-1/16", but there are some that are shown as only 2-15/16", which is what mine measures.

My questions are:
1. Did Remington make a design mod and increase the length of the firing pin for functionallity or some other purpose?
2. Should the older 870's with the shorter firing pin still require a shorter firing pin, or will the longer one work properly and not pierce the primers?
3. Has anybody out there experienced the same (length replacement) problem and how did you resolve it?

The parts seem to be available now only from specialty shops and run $22 to $26 plus s/h, so I want to get the one that will work best and safest.
Thanks in advance!
bigblue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 am  Reply with quote

The 2 15/16 is what you want . That's what most replace with I have used the Titanium and the longer pin never realized any advantage over the standard pin.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Bigblue. I was able to locate the 2-15/16" pin at a local gunsmith shop. I've already got the gun reassembled and will use it tomorrow.