16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Strap Game Vest
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:29 am  Reply with quote

I'm looking for a strap game vest to replace my old one. Any suggestions?
I've been looking at Filson, Boyt, Beans. Quality and sizing is all over the place.
I'm 6'3" 210 so if you could include a size with your suggestion I'd appreciate it.
Maine falls are warm so I'm not looking for a bunch of extra doo dads that drive the weight of the vest up.
Thanks

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:27 am  Reply with quote

I bought the basic Filson green strap vest a couple years ago for warm weather training and dove hunting. I mostly got it for the water bottle storage. Game bag is smaller than a full vest, of course. Not a problem for my uses, a couple of bumpers, or dozen doves fit fine.

It is sizes by chest measurement, which doesn’t make a lot of sense. I went with the larger size. The waist belt is as tight as it will go and just a tad loose on me. I’m 6’1”, 230, btw. I doubt I’d ever wear the thing out in 20 years.
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The two sizes fit all are kind of a crapshoot.

Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:23 am  Reply with quote

I have the Filson strap vest, bought it at half-price when a local store went out of business. I would not have bought it at full price. I have not found a vest I like better in a realistic price range. I do like the reduced material as I layer underneath depending on temperatures. I wish it had longer straps as I tend to wear it more around my waist than up where it was designed for, the pockets keep shells in but also tend to keep my hands out when I’m wearing shooting gloves. I also think tin cloth could be lighter for those longer hunts that I will sometimes take (10-15 miles), but that’s just me drilling down into the weeds for a better hunt.
It fits the needs I have, but not perfect by any means. It’s a large & I’m 5’10” & in decent shape, not round but not trim either.

When people ask about bird hunting vests I tell them to be very picky, try them on before buying, adjust to find that perfect fit, and walk around a bit doing the movements you would do in a hunt.

Next to your gun & boots, it’s one of the most important pieces of gear, IMHO.

1stgun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
I bought the basic Filson green strap vest a couple years ago for warm weather training and dove hunting. I mostly got it for the water bottle storage. Game bag is smaller than a full vest, of course.

I bought this same vest many years ago and still use it for doves, quail, and timber duck hunting. Not that I go in very rough territory, but I think this vest is indestructible. Pricey-yup, light-yup, good for a lot of gadgets-nope.

I wanted something I could wear whether conditions are hot or cold. I am 6'4"/300lbs and it is a bit snug but still works.

Regards,

Chuck

Rdg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

If I was in the market for a new strap vest... I'd give Pyke Gear a good look.

I have some of their pants and shirt and they are top notch.

https://www.pykegear.com/pages/wingman
BWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have purchased 2 or 3 strap vest that I thought were going to be the bees knees, and have been VERY dissatisfied.
I ordered a Chief Upland vest and it was the worst fitting vest and the owner said I was nuts! I returned it and not offer to make things right without a huge up charge.
I recently got an Orvis vest after seeing 2 or 3 guys on upland hunting shows wearing them. Dave Miller of CZ USA says he loves his.
Upon arrival and only wearing it on training days, I really like it.
Not too complicated and a nice size game bag.
Worth a look.

Bob
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Re: strap vests, make sure they have the required coverage of hunter orange to meet your state regs. I got pulled up short in the field by a game officer who issued me a warning that my Orvis strap vest (which has orange panels) and orange hat did not meet upland game hunting regs for hunter orange coverage (400 sq in.).

B.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:16 am  Reply with quote

I like my Wingworks vest. Whatever vest you choose make sure it has a weight bearing waist belt to take the weight off your shoulders.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:23 am  Reply with quote

Narrowed it down to the Filson so I call customer service, give them my physical info and ask which size do I order? The young lady says well, I think, maybe, should fit but, not really sure...

The way sporting products are rapidly disappearing and not being restocked.....Please send me both sizes and I'll send the one that doesn't fit back.
Thanks for your input.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:26 am  Reply with quote

I have the Orvis waxed cotton strap vest. It’s held up well and has the perfect amount of storage. It’s not overly done, just right.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in the market for one this year also. The newer Filson Upland Guide strap vest for around $250 looks nice. I like the big water bottle pockets with draw strings. I've had water bottles fall out when chukar hunting with other vests. Not good.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have an old Filson Strap vest I used a lot, it's still hanging in the log cabin some place, very beat up. I went back to my old Field & Stream Grouse Vest because it had more pockets and D-Rings to hold my Dogtra Transmitters, and it was lighter, even when carrying more shells. I am still using the old Field & Stream Grouse Vest, unfortunately there is nothing quite like it being made today. I also have a nice Columbia Grouse Vest, a might more weight to it however, with Bottle pockets and shells plastic holders inside the pocket flaps.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Bret
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:54 am  Reply with quote

A lot of the guys out this way are liking Final Rise vests. I'm not a strap vest guy myself but I hear a lot of talk about these vests.

https://finalrise.com/

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

I've had a number over the years but finally settled on the lightest Filson vest I could find. Mine does not have any orange on it and has the mesh panels. In warm weather I wear an orange tee-shirt under it and then an orange hat. Never been questioned about it yet. It will likely outlast me I suspect. I know the Filson stuff isn't cheap but your options keep getting more-limited all the time. Bite the bullet and get what works!