16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Strap Game Vest
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've had my Filson strap vest for so long I can't really remember when I got it, has to be at least 15 years, probably more. It's heavy, it's kinda hot in warmer weather, but it's tough as can be. You want hunting gear that will last your lifetime and can be passed down to the next generation, there's not much out there that can beat Filson.

I won't say that for everything Filson makes, especially as now quite a bit of it is made overseas, but for most of their "traditional" products it's hard to find something more durable.

I've heard good things about the Orvis vest also, but have no direct experience with it.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have tried a number of strap vest, my favorite is the filson pro guide vest.

It’s padded straps and padded hip belt along with it bag layout is excellent.

You can find them on EBay but they are expensive
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

I recently got a vest from Final Rise. I am very happy with it. Has storage for water bottles and is very well made. I replaced my Boyt strap vest with it. I was very happy with the Boyt vest but finally wore it out. I think you will be happy with either vest. good luck.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I recently got a vest from Final Rise. I am very happy with it. Has storage for water bottles and is very well made. I replaced my Boyt strap vest with it. I was very happy with the Boyt vest but finally wore it out. I think you will be happy with either vest. good luck.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

frenchbritt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Final Rise makes a nice vest. I recently got one to replace my Boyt strap vest. I think either one will be good.
airmedic1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I have a bunch of different strap vests trying to find the perfect one. I started with a Mother and while it was revolutionary for its time it lacked some things and since then I have tried a Cabelas Technical vest, Camelback, Badlands, Bucks Bags, ALPS, Tenzing, Chief Uplands, WingWorks, Q5 Rimfire, Quilomene San Carlos and Pella Bird n Light plus a few others I have forgotten. So far my favorites have been the Quilomene San Carlos and the Bucks Bags.
I like to carry my ecollars transmitter and Astro on the vest instead of around my neck and I want room to carry dog stuff and first aid stuff as well. I thought the Chiefs Upland would be the real deal but was really disappointed. I could never get the WingWorks adjusted to fit right but it was a high quality vest. The Q5 Rimfire would be an awesome prairie vest where you spent the day away from your truck but I don’t do that much anymore.
They all (most anyway) have had something I like but have somethings that I don’t like as well such as no way to carry water, shell pockets that are hard to access or the shells fall out when you bend over, game bags that are too small or are impossible to access unless you are a contortionist or hang down so far that when loaded hit you in the butt and back of your thighs. Some have had straps that are so thick they interfere with you gun mount, or no way to carry the dog accessories. Some just don’t fit right and feel uncomfortable.
I’m not sure the perfect vest exists because I’ve spent 20 years and a lot of money trying and haven’t been able to find it!

airmedic1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I have a bunch of different strap vests trying to find the perfect one. I started with a Mother and while it was revolutionary for its time it lacked some things and since then I have tried a Cabelas Technical vest, Camelback, Badlands, Bucks Bags, ALPS, Tenzing, Chief Uplands, WingWorks, Q5 Rimfire, Quilomene San Carlos and Pella Bird n Light plus a few others I have forgotten. So far my favorites have been the Quilomene San Carlos and the Bucks Bags.
I like to carry my ecollars transmitter and Astro on the vest instead of around my neck and I want room to carry dog stuff and first aid stuff as well. I thought the Chiefs Upland would be the real deal but was really disappointed. I could never get the WingWorks adjusted to fit right but it was a high quality vest. The Q5 Rimfire would be an awesome prairie vest where you spent the day away from your truck but I don’t do that much anymore.
They all (most anyway) have had something I like but have somethings that I don’t like as well such as no way to carry water, shell pockets that are hard to access or the shells fall out when you bend over, game bags that are too small or are impossible to access unless you are a contortionist or hang down so far that when loaded hit you in the butt and back of your thighs. Some have had straps that are so thick they interfere with you gun mount, or no way to carry the dog accessories. Some just don’t fit right and feel uncomfortable.
I’m not sure the perfect vest exists because I’ve spent 20 years and a lot of money trying and haven’t been able to find it!

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Not sure a perfect strap vest exists. Check out most any forum and folks are constantly searching! I started out with the basic Filson Game Bag vest, and it was about perfect for ruffed grouse hunting around here, and alright for pheasants. No need to carry water, creeks everywhere, and two pockets handled everything I needed. I liked the simplicity of it. I still have it. I have the other extreme in a Wingworks. Well made product, but it's just a beast, and I feel a little like a paratrooper when I strap it on. The only reason I keep it is now in retirement I'm expanding my western bird hunting where I need to carry water, and that belt keeps the weight off my shoulders. After trying a bunch of other including Filson, Orvis, and Boyt, I have found the Q5 Primer works out pretty well for me. It's back on the simple end of the spectrum like my old Filson Game Bag, but it has a great shoulder-saving belt system similar to a Wingworks which is really nice when you have a couple-three rooster pheasants. It has good pockets and my Alpha transmitter rides in one with the antenna poking out, and my Garmin watch keeps me updated on the dog.
frenchbritt
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I recently got a vest from Final Rise. I am quite happy with it and it is american made. I bought it to replace my Boyt strap vest that I finally wore out. Good luck.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Love my Wingworks. I have had it for over 10 years and it looks like it will make another 10.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have tried several (including Filson) and I like the Orvis strap vest the best. If you do any pheasant hunting it has a large game bag and the vest is light and well ventilated, and has spots for two Nalgene bottles, one on each side. There are four pockets in front (one behind the other) that will hold plenty of shells.

https://www.orvis.com/waxed-cotton-strap-vest/6Y15.html

Good Hunting,
Mike
finndog
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Really don't think you will go wrong withe a Pyke wingman strap vest . Pricey but well made . Hunting the grouse and woodcock cover of the northern Great Lakes I find this strap vest superior to the wingworks strap vest and leaves Filson in the dust.....2 cents
finndog
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Really don't think you will go wrong withe a Pyke wingman strap vest . Pricey but well made . Hunting the grouse and woodcock cover of the northern Great Lakes I find this strap vest superior to the wingworks strap vest and leaves Filson in the dust.....2 cents