16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Strap Game Vest
finndog
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Really don't think you will go wrong withe a Pyke wingman strap vest . Pricey but well made . Hunting the grouse and woodcock cover of the northern Great Lakes I find this strap vest superior to the wingworks strap vest and leaves Filson in the dust.....2 cents
Griffon
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

I went with the Filson Mesh Strap Game Vest.
Here is a quick review in case your considering this vest. I'm 6'3" 205 long in the trunk. The regular M/L was the best fit for my needs. There's enough room with strap adjustments to wear heavier clothes if needed. For our fall weather it's just right.

Made in Vietnam what's new.
Not the old heavy Filson type vest. 1.35 lbs Light and cool with the mesh backing.
2 roomy shell pockets, 2 water bottle pockets, zippered pocket will hold a cellphone and a book of matches. Game bag is ample for woodcock and grouse but 2 pheasants max and they'd be hanging out the sides. Game bag does not unzip for cleaning.
No lumbar support that's in my car seat. No heated straps or flashing SOS LED lights.

Think it will fit the bill fine for me but like everything else... you're paying for the name.

Thanks for the input.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

The worst one I've used was the old Filson basic strap vest. The metal buckles scratched my gun stock, my shoulders ached after long hunts because it has no waist belt to take the weight off, it didn't have enough pockets, and birds fell out of the game bag when crossing fences. Really an overall poor design. The newer designs have come a long way since then.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."