16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz. load using Winchester 572
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Going by the Hodgdon data for the Remington RGL hull and CB0100-16 wad with 1 oz. of shot and 20.5 grains of 572, the fit is perfect. The RGL's I used measure 2.700". I tried that load in the shorter RGL's that measure 2.640" and I had to adjust the crimp start down a bit more. It wasn't as nice a fit as the longer RGL's. BTW I use a Multiscale charge bar so it is a full 1 oz. of shot,

I'll load a few in both Federal and Cheddite 2 3/4" hulls and post pics of all.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:16 am  Reply with quote

The first two loads are directly off the Hodgdon website. The Cheddite was loaded exactly like the Federal. The only adjustments to my Sizemaster was to make the crimp depths .060" to .065" on all hulls and change the charge bar for the increased amount of powder between the Federal/Cheddite hulls and the lesser amount in the RGL hull. NO other adjustments were made. I did not trim any hulls, they are just the way they came once fired. The Cheddites have 5 to 6 reloads on them. The Federals and RGL's are once fired.

The first picture, Remington RGL 2.700" OAL, 20.5 gr. 572, CB0100-16 wad 1 ox. #7.5 mag lead shot.

The second picture, Federal hull 2.735" OAL, 23.8 gr. 572, Gaulandi 2118 (SG16) wad 1 ox. #7.5 mag lead shot.

The third picture, Cheddite hull 2.720" OAL, 23.8 gr. 572, Gaulandi 2118 (SG16) wad 1 ox. #7.5 mag lead shot.

A top view of all three finished hulls.

All my lead and Bismuth loads have a velocity between 1,250 and 1,300 FPS. These loads were listed by Hodgdon at 1,275 FPS. I have chrono'd the RGL load at 1,263 FPS.

Of the 3 loads I like the RGL loading best, but I am probably a bit biased as I have also shot some nice scores with that load over the last week or so with no FTC problems in my 1100.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Mark, those look good. I’ll have to see if I can get a decent 2 3/4” result. My older gun does have 2 3/4” chambers.
makintrax73
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:08 am  Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with 572 in 2 9/16" hulls.

Cheddite Hull, 20 grains 572, SG16 wad, 1oz 7 1/2 in a 2 9/16" cut down hull.

Honestly it seems to fit perfect. Maybe I'm getting the slightest bit of crimp compression on the wad IDK, but I am able to "candle" my Cheddite hulls and look and I don't see any real wad compression.

I'm moving on to velocity and consistency testing. Not sure whether I'll send it out for pressure testing since the data on this load has been tested in a 2.75 Cheddite hull and is extremely low.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

makintrax73 wrote:

Honestly it seems to fit perfect. Maybe I'm getting the slightest bit of crimp compression on the wad IDK, but I am able to "candle" my Cheddite hulls and look and I don't see any real wad compression.

I'm moving on to velocity and consistency testing. Not sure whether I'll send it out for pressure testing since the data on this load has been tested in a 2.75 Cheddite hull and is extremely low.

You didn't mention primer, but Hodgdon shows that to be solid with a variety in the 2.75" hulls. Good looking combination, thanks for your findings in a shorter shell.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Just a heads up... I'm receiving notifications from several suppliers showing 572 in stock... Brownells, Recobs, Precision...
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

checked Brownells-$39/pd plus shipping plus hazmat--ouch

makintrax73
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:40 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
makintrax73 wrote:

You didn't mention primer, but Hodgdon shows that to be solid with a variety in the 2.75" hulls. Good looking combination, thanks for your findings in a shorter shell.

I am using Cheddite primers.

Unfortunately my chrono attempts have failed. Last year when I was working up roll crimped loads my Magnetospeed seemed to _mostly_ work. This year I cannot seem to get any reasonable results at all. Will try a new cable and start over. Perhaps a change to a ProChrono is in the cards for shotgun testing.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:28 am  Reply with quote

My view of powder, primers, wads and hulls on patterns. Generally IF you are using a powder that is the correct burning rate for the gauge and application AND you have a well regulated barrel the differences between patterns are nit picking.

If you want good patterns choose a load that is ballistically stable and consistent and use the very best shot you can find.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:46 am  Reply with quote

I've been messing with the same basic 1 oz. load. I've loaded 20 gr. 572 in both short Federal and Cheddite hulls with the SG16.

I have a lot of 2.5" hulls, so initially I thought I'd have a 1 oz 572 load in a short hull tested at a lab, but after thinking it through I'm going to stay with a 2 3/4" hull and a Universal Clays load using Federal hulls and Fed 209A primers. My current vintage 16 has 2 3/4" chambers.

I'm still going to chrono 6 rounds of a 2.5" load I put together using a Cheddite hull and primer, SG16, and 20 gr. 572 just to get a ballpark look at the velocity and see how it compares to Hodgdon's 2 3/4" version.

Makintrax73, I got the above loading a 2.5" hull, but I agree with you that a 2 9/16" hull is a better fit.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the SG-16s wad in the 2.5 hull?
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:11 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
Has anyone tried the SG-16s wad in the 2.5 hull?

No, but that was my next step to get a better stack height in the 2.5" hull. I need to order some to test though.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:02 am  Reply with quote

If I remember correct, the wad is the same height, just doesn't have the pin looking things in the bottom, so it would actually sit a bit lower.
You pm me your address I can send you a few samples. I'm probably a little faster than BP.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:32 am  Reply with quote

RGuill96971 wrote:
If I remember correct, the wad is the same height, just doesn't have the pin looking things in the bottom, so it would actually sit a bit lower.
You pm me your address I can send you a few samples. I'm probably a little faster than BP.

That would be great. Might as well go for the best fitting components for 2.5" hulls. I'll chronograph them and if things look kosher I'll add them to the batch I'm sending in to be tested.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:39 am  Reply with quote

The Bascheri & Pellagir Z2M16 wad, has a much deeper powder cup and will allow for more capacity than either the SG16 and the SG16S Gaulandi wads. The shot cup also holds just a bit more of the shot charge.