16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chukars, snow & Brownings
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Just doesnt get any better than this in my world. Two Labs, two Browning (XS & 525) my brother, snow and chukars. Didnt bring out the 16GA sterly for this hunt though. The chukars were skittish and flushing pretty wild so had to capitalize with 1 1/4 federal 12GA 1500FPS #5's copper plates

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

That is SWEET jig! Where were you hunting?

Matt
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Nice birds--good shooting ! It's always good to be afield....

jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hunting in beautiful north central Washington near the columbia river. Gonna try and go back at least 2 more times as the season ends January 18

jig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

These birds are the toughest around and seem harder to kill than pheasants. And god forbid if one has a shred of life left in it when it hits the ground. I thought roosters could dissappear, but these chukars literally can vanish into thin air. Without my good friend the Labrador, I'd be lucky to find any of them. I remember in my youth hunting these birds dogless and it seems we'd recover maybe 75-80% back then. They blend in with the sage and rocks very well, but add to that their ability to dig underground and into holes in the rocky environment they live in and you can really have problems. Fortunately on this trip none were lost that I'm aware of. And, for any of you that have never tasted wild chukar, well you have missed the finest eating of all gamebirds. They are so good that every time I leave to go bird hunting my wife's last words are "please go get some more of those chukars". Or, when I'm lobbying for an upcoming trip, it helps tremendously when I add that I'm going chukar hunting. They are that good. The first time I brought some home to wife she cooked them up with the pheasants so we'd have enough for the whole family. Well, let me tell you, everyone at the table said "wow! what are these other birds they are incredible tasting. Heck, you should just focus on chukars from now on. We all love pheasants too and I certainly like the break on my body (and ego) that they provide in between chukar hunts. Chukar are fast flyers and flushers much like an overgrown quail. As a bonus, they can be almost as big as roosters. Sometimes when asked to describe them, I say they are about the size of a pheasant with it's tail cut off. I will be heading out again next tuesday for possibly my last chukar trip of the year Sad
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

None of that rough weather hit you yet????
jig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

O yeah, but bring it on. We're pretty hardy round here. Had our power go out for 6 days a couple weeks ago - oh well. On this trip it was 8 degrees in the Am then warmed up to about 18 degrees in the afternoon. Next day was a little warmer - started out at 14 degrees then all the way up to 28.
Hey, I had long johns, and too many layers on, plus sorels on feet. I was peeling stuff off even in the 8 degree AM. Chukars chasing is friggin insanely arduous. Its sure enough humpin from start to finish. Usually layed up for at least a couple days afterward. Even the dogs are sore. My bro's older lab couldnt hardly walk for 2 days after the blast. My young dog had no problem other than a little loungin around afterward. Weather, no worries here, I got just about every piece of warm gear a guy might need.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

50 plus degrees here today in SE Il----we have no more winters Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

55 degrees in Long Island. Almost too warm to hunt. (I said almost)

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Gorgeous pics jig. I have always wanted to hunt Chukar... even more so after seeing your pics.

Oh, and some pretty guns too.

Thanks again,

KB