16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  One more time please: Citori light strikes
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Apologies all, I know it’s been discussed to death here, but someone please summarize the fixes for Citori lower barrel light strikes. Or point me to posts thereof.

Had 4 lower barrel FTFs today in a registered skeet shoot…what a distraction! Never had any before so I wasn’t paying attention to the discussions here. The Citori is a very sweet shooting gun with the 7/8 oz loads so would like to see it set back to rights.

TIA
B.
df
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I had a 16 ga that had that problem. Browning fixed it. I believe the fix was a slightly longer firing pin.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING-CITORI-16-20-28-OR-410-GAUGE-FIRING-PIN-AND-SPRING-KIT-p72200050

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/BROWNING-CITORI-12-GAUGE-FIRING-PIN-AND-SPRING-KIT-p72200004

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I preemptively bought a J&P spring and firing pin set for my 525 Citori after reading about all the light strike issues people are having. That was 5 years ago and the purchased parts have worked perfectly, they sit on the shelf where I put them and the original spring and pins continue to work flawlessly. Go figure!

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I preemptively bought a J&P spring and firing pin set for my 525 Citori after reading about all the light strike issues people are having. That was 5 years ago and the purchased parts have worked perfectly, they sit on the shelf where I put them and the original spring and pins continue to work flawlessly. Go figure!

Lose the spare springs and you'll soon have FTF's. It's amazing how reliable anything is when you have spare parts and how unreliable they are when you don't.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Here is my experience with the "issue".

My 16 gauge Citori Grade 1, was selective about which loads it liked and which ones it didn't like.....lower barrel only. No issue with the top barrel.

I bought the JP springs and pins for both barrels. Cleaned everything up, including the firing pin cavities and installed the parts. The lower barrel pin was too long and pierced every primer in every load I fed it. The lower pin on some loads was actually not retracting and hanging in the primer and not allowing the action to open. The upper pin was piercing some primers but not all. I hesitated taking out the pins, so I put in the Browning springs, no help still the same stuff.

I bought an original Browning lower pin, and cleaned up the pin cavities again, installed the new Browning lower pin, reinstalled the original upper pin and springs and haven't had a problem since.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Detailed information, including firing pin part numbers, cleaning, disassembly, reassembly tips, and much discussion on the subject here:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have two Citoris, and have pulled them apart numerous times and now clean them much more often than I used to.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks all for the very informative responses. Looks like I need to get busy on it before our next registered shoot in June.

B.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:36 am  Reply with quote

The Browning Citori is one of the best SINGLE shots on the matket
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:19 am  Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with my 2 citoris. 26" 325 and 32" 525. 525 is my trap gun . Both are 16's. I clean at end of season on trap. Several thousand rds and never a ftf. I use a sonic clean tank and never take it apart. Whole receiver goes in. Sonic removes everything if yo know how to use one. Bill
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Update: cleaned firing pins with moderate fouling found on lower pin but clean upper pin. Considerable pitting observed on lower pin. Reinstalled lower pin after cleaning and used gun in registered regional skeet shoot.

A lower barrel FTF on station 1 set the tone for rest of meet. Upper barrel used exclusively on remaining singles, and no further FTFs on doubles thankfully.

Ordered new lower pin immediately after the 12 ga event and continued on with 20 ga event.

As an aside, the 7/8 oz Red Dot load is undoubtedly the best combination for the Citori we’ve found yet. Crisp ignition, clean burning, generous but authoritative breaks with no barrel jump or shoulder pounding, a joy to shoot. In stark contrast, a lovely little Beretta O/U left my cheek, shoulder, and ego badly bruised after the 20 ga event, a complete fiasco by any reckoning.

v/r
B.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I don’t like my Beretta much either, and would rather have a Citori for trap. I hate the barrel selector, and sometimes switch it to the top barrel when breaking the gun. Then my next shot is “click” which makes me overthink and miss the follow up shot every time. It’s annoying and breaks my focus.
AKDan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:03 am  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4957
29JAN08 Rabbitdog traced this problem to a different root. His solution may not be best practices but a gunsmith could probably come up with a more robust solution.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Update 2: Received new lower pin from MGW, standard Browning issue. Measured three thou SHORTER than original!

Proceeded with installation anyway. Protrusion is .037 with hammer bottomed out, well short of standard .045, very concerning.

Took gun to registered skeet shoot and experienced two lower barrel FTFs early. Scorer started counting instances, uh oh. Managed to finish the shoot but the scores were dismal in high winds. The Citori is probably more suitable for trap as POI is high and misses were on crossing targets. Still a wonderful gun to shoot with 7/8 oz.

All that aside, has anyone measured the JP lower pin? I’m still willing to try to get this right, notwithstanding the other shooters telling me Citoris all have the same problem.

TIA
B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:01 am  Reply with quote

As I said earlier. I've never had that problem with my lower barrel on my 32".
When I first acquired the gun I started shooting the bottom barrel right out of the box. Used that barrel for about 2 yrs before switching to the top barrel still the same pins as when I bought it. With some of my other 16's I had ftf with certain primers. Switch primers and problem went away. Many primers have a thicker material over the anvil. I guess depends what day, who's the operator and what shift. Who knows. Guess my purchase was one of the lucky ones. But I do have a 325 citori 26" barrels and never had problems.

Last edited by Hammer bill on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total