16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  One more time please: Citori light strikes
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:56 am  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
The Browning Citori is one of the best SINGLE shots on the matket

Laughing

I was biting my tongue, but this sums up my thoughts exactly. I have a friend who had one and sold it for this reason. He loved it, and shot lights out with it, but it just wasn't dependable.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:24 am  Reply with quote

This post made me paranoid Very Happy

So I took both of mine apart & cleaned the firing pins & holes. Used a muzzleloading pipe cleaner on the holes, then sprayed down the receiver with Hornady One-shot. Lower pin on the WL was definitely pitted, so it will be replaced. Lots of junk in there, good idea to clean it even if you’ve never had a FTF, or as my son would call it, a dead man’s gun.

Also bought a couple of Browning spare parts kits for our grouse trip this fall, hopefully they just stay in the cleaning kit.

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:52 am  Reply with quote

were these problems ever an issue with the Superposed models?

pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 16g white lightning, and a 20g CXS, both new. Both started having lower barrel FTFs in 4-5 months. Cleaned and swapped the lower pins/springs with jnp. FWIW I cut a couple coils off the jnp hammer springs; they were so stiff I couldn't get them in! I wouldn't bother swapping the top barrel pin/spring, that doesn't seem to have issues.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:09 am  Reply with quote

I inquired about the length of their lower pins and JNP advised me that they were factory length. The protrusion of the lower pin is .036 which seems a bit short. I would like .045.

Had 1 lower barrel FTF at the skeet event past weekend. Light strike, barely marked the primer.

Have not yet ordered the JNP kit, maybe the stronger spring would help.

B.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully the final chapter in this almost endless saga has now been written: After a installing new pin and replacing the lower hammer spring in the Citori with a J & P 12/16 lower hammer spring, the lower barrel FTF problem has ceased. This is after a 100 target registered skeet shoot and two 50 target practice sessions, with zero FTF occurrences. Previous lower barrel FTF rate had been approaching 5 percent.

My confidence is great because the new hammer spring is about 3/8” longer (and correspondingly stronger) than the original spring, and not easy to install, but ultimately a perfect fit.

Our seasoned club experts tell me this should be an annual maintenance item for all Citori’s. I am resolved to perform it as advised.

B.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am  Reply with quote

I posted this in the Cheddite primer thread in the ammo section but think it adds to this one as well.

For what it’s worth I have a 20 gauge Miroku o/u that was giving me light strikes in the bottom barrel. This gun is mechanically identical to the Citori which, as you know, can also cause pierced Cheddite primers. I replaced the firing pins and hammer springs with new ones from J&P. The new pins are a bit longer and the springs are significantly stronger. The gun is now 100% reliable and I am not getting any pierced primers and I’m using CX2000s in my AAHS reloads. I’ve shot up several thousand CX2000 primers in a number of guns in the last 2 years with no pierced primers from any guns and I’ve looked with magnification. I do know that others are still reporting pierced Cheddites with K80s, Brownings and Kolar being the main problem guns. But, I think the issue has improved. I have 2 guns that in the past have pierced every Cheddite primer put in them and I’m going to reload for them soon and I’ll shoot some new Cheds in them.
last dollar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:47 am  Reply with quote

The Browning Citori is the best single shot ever made..Should maybe be half price tho.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:58 am  Reply with quote

I don't get it. I have a 325 26" * for over 30 years. A 525 32" for 7 years. Thousands of 16s over the years if add both together. Factories, reloads and you name it for brands I've shot. Clean once every spring before my regular shooting season. Competive shooting. Never had I one damn problem of failure to fire with either gun. Hum.
I've never taken the receiver apart. I just suspended the receiver in a sonic tank with some citrus cleaning solution for about 15 minutes. Take out and rinse with running hot water. Blow off with airbase real good.then give a light shot of hornady #1. THATS IT. Just lucky I guess.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I have had 2 Citoris and never a FTF or primer piercing problem.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Fn16ga and Hammerbill, I don’t understand it either but as it was explained to me, it has something to do with the angle which the lower pin strikes the primer. On some of the FTFs that happened to me, the primer was barely marked and certainly not dented. And this was after a thorough cleaning and lube. The new parts fixed all that, hopefully case closed.

B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Just an idea for you guys having ff problems. If it were I. I would take the lower pin out. Clean the inside . Then get a piece of 400 or 600 metal finish sand paper. Get the J- flex weight. It's not stiff . Very plyable is what you want. Get a small wood doll that slides in the hole very easily
Cut slot in end of doll to put a piece of sand paper in. Put other end in drill . Once the paper is in add some spray gun oil lightly to the paper then spin in the channel on medium. Make sure you get all way to the pin hole but don't force pressure on it. Run about 30 seconds then check paper too look for slight metal. You are not going to remove enough material to hurt anything. All your doing is smoothing the rough metal service. Many times the tooling gets very dull and leaves a slight rough surface. After polishing internally flush the hole out good with some spray oil. Don't use WD 40.. REALLY NOT INTENDED for that type of long use. Blow out with air hose vert good. Then spray with a good oil like hornady 1. If it don't help you didn't loose anything except a little time. Bill
df
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve had half dozen various gauges of Citoris, including three 16 ga. One 16 ga that I bought new had a severe ftf in the lower barrel. Took it to Ahlmans in Mn. They replaced the firing pin, and the issue disappeared. Have had zero issues with the other citoris.