16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1939 M37 value?
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I find myself wanting to mix up my possession-list just a bit and in order to do that, a few old-soldiers need to move-on to new homes. That process will be me moving out several older "toys' (for lack of a better description) including a number of bamboo fly rods and old reels as well. It all boils down to use, or opportunity to use in this case, and as I roll into my mid-60s my use-habits are clearly changing. Part of that is all the growth here on the Colorado Front Range, and some of that is my own needs & tastes (which are clearly changing as well). When I cast my eyes over the offerings available locally for these things (in the local sporting goods shops), they are practically non-existent. That tells me that somebody must be rat-holing these items much like I have-been over the years. Half the fun of this is re-learning the subject-matter when you dig them out of storage for the first time in several years. Be it Goodwin Granger or W.E. (Bill) Edwards flyrods, old Meeks & Pflueger reels, or even old Ithaca or Winchester pump-guns.

This particular one (a 16!) has a 26-inch tube and is choked Improved Cylinder. It has it's original finishes and functions flawlessly. Because it is the pre-WWII version, it looks surprisingly like the the Remington M17 models it so famously copied (bluing and wood on the pre-war guns are visibly different than the post-war guns {and better IMHO}). It came to me out of Tucumcari New Mexico, from the son of the preacher who owned it originally, when he was tending to his flock near to Olean, NY in the 1940s and 1950s. The gun is famously light for it's gauge and handles like a lightening bolt. I have used it for years in the Alleghany National Forrest for ruffed grouse when I'm back there visiting friends & family.

[url=https://imgur.com/qX8XNay] [/url]

How does one value a gun such as this? There are no comparables to it on any gun list or internet retail site.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total

kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 am  Reply with quote

I paid $400 for my 1946 M37 with prewar wood, mod choke, about 4 years ago at national gun day in Louisville. only gun I have owned that fits me like a part of my body, retired it after wearing it out shooting trap.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
kgb
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

I paid $400 for a 1951 20ga in excellent shape, Full choke 28", and set aside nearly all of my 16's for a couple years. Asking prices on all guns have jumped, I'd expect it to go for $500-$600 now. To many people they're still just pump shotguns and worth maybe $500, to someone who believes they have to have a light 16 and it has to have an IC choke, it might bring $700 or a little more. The right pair of buyers looking at it on an auction site could get a couple hundred more.

Anymore, what sellers I know are doing is watching auctions on Gunbroker and Gunauction. Listings on Gunsamerica and Gunsinternational help, to see what sits for a long time at the prices given. Those are just listings, some are bound to sell for offers made to sellers that you'll never see.

Good luck with your sales and any future purchases.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Are you looking for trades?
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy: No, I'm looking to raise some funds for another old English gun. A bit frivolous but...still fun and something I've been considering for a long time.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:23 am  Reply with quote

Ok thanks Lloyd.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:

This particular one (a 16!) has a 26-inch tube and is choked Improved Cylinder. It has it's original finishes and functions flawlessly. Because it is the pre-WWII version, it looks surprisingly like the the Remington M17 models it so famously copied (bluing and wood on the pre-war guns are visibly different than the post-war guns {and better IMHO}). It came to me out of Tucumcari New Mexico, from the son of the preacher who owned it originally, when he was tending to his flock near to Olean, NY in the 1940s and 1950s. The gun is famously light for it's gauge and handles like a lightening bolt. I have used it for years in the Alleghany National Forrest for ruffed grouse when I'm back there visiting friends & family.

How does one value a gun such as this? There are no comparables to it on any gun list or internet retail site.

One of my sisters lived in Cuba near Olean for many years. Her only job at family reunions is to make the Olean Pasta Louie. I never hunted ANF much but in the 70's and 80's hunted both sides of the Twin Tiers. Back then NY side was better grouse hunting then Pa. Plus Sunday hunting. Plus better bag limits. Most farmers would let you hunt grouse in the hills if you asked, as long as it was just a guy and a dog. Without any mention of the sacred deer.

kgb estimate of $700-$750 is pretty spot on in todays market. The ones selling are double what they were only a couple of years ago. There are many including me that believe the 16 ga. 26" IC 37 is the best grouse gun ever made. And the 26" IC is a rare 37 in any gauge. Seen enough 28" and 30" Full choked 37's I don't care if I ever see another one.

Although there is something to be said about a 30" prewar 37 Trap Full choke

A prewar brings it up even higher in price, not like they are making any more of them. And if it has hand chased engraving then add some more to the asking price.

Three 16 ga. 37's top 2 are 26" one IC the other Mod but measures between IC and Mod, why I got it. The bottom is a prewar that bbl. measures 25" long. Got it from a guy in Mi. that was getting too old to hunt grouse anymore. It had a poly choke on it at one time and he cut it off leaving ~.004 choke on it. Had an Ithaca Sunburst pad I bought for it but the pup managed to get ahold of it and chewed it up. I need to get another Sunburst from CSMC and put it on one of these days.

I paid $500 for the 1962 16 ga. 37RVD back 7-8 years ago. Hardly anyone knew what it was, it is the precursor to the 37 Supreme. If I was to let it go today it wouldn't be for less than $1.5K. The 16 ga. Supremes if you can find one go for $3-$4K.

Good luck if that prewar 16 ga. of yours was mine I would list it at $750.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron:

Thank you for that. If I wasn't a south paw, I'd never sell this gun. It is arguably the best upland pumper I've ever used. I have an emotional connection to my M12 in 16 (purely nostalgia) but the Ithaca is the better grouse gun. Still... a double works best for me. I'm having the gun shipped to me here so I can look it over first (haven't seen it for quite a few years now, maybe 5?).

Waylon1979
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 I sent u a pm. Thanks
nwmac
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3

I sent you a pm. Let me know what your plans are for this gun.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

If you look at the previous picture attached to my post, you'll see my pre-war M37 next to a M31L, followed by a somewhat-modified M12. These were the only three 16-guage pump guns (at least to my knowledge) ever built to a proper-weight for the gauge. I did the same thing with 3 or 4 20-gauge pump guns as well (because after 12-plus years working in a fine-gun shop, I wanted to see if a fellow could acquire a truly- great bird gun w/o spending all that money for a decent double). If I had been right-eye dominant and accordingly right-handed I believe that I would have succeeded. Between the pre-war M37 and the possibly-rarer post-war M31L, I'm now convinced that the average Joe could indeed do exactly that. Both guns were and are truly magnificent bird guns but...I'd probably give the nod to the pre-war Ithaca in terms of build-quality and maybe balance (which I know is very subjective).

In the 20-gauge pumpers, while I have immense-respect (& strong nostalgia) for the early M12s, the Remington M17 really won me over as well (John Browning really knew what he was doing, eh?). The only gun I never was able to secure was a Stevens M520-30 (yet another Browning design) in the also very-briefly produced flattop-version to try alongside the rest, which was a darn shame because the much earlier-version (the double-hump gun) in 20 was pretty impressive as well.

My 20s (w/o my circa 1913 M12)...
[url=https://imgur.com/FwWL1Y2] [/url]
Darn fun research, if nothing else.

Well anyway... long live the ubiquitous American pump-gun! But...as a true Southpaw (w/both left-eye & hand dominance), I pretty-much have to use a properly-fitted double to find that rather-exacting combination of all the subtle (little & big) things needed to allow me to properly chase ruffed grouse (with any hope of regular success).

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Sat May 21, 2022 3:11 pm; edited 6 times in total

double vision
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd, what sort of English gun are you seeking? 16?
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

DV: Thankfully, I already have my grouse gun (& in 16)...

[url=https://imgur.com/30Hz3aK] [/url]

I'm now looking for a fairly early Damascus hammer-gun (in 12 this time). I've owned one other (& tried it on grouse too) but this later edition is more for fun. Clays and possibly a few doves (on occasion).

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

[url=https://imgur.com/nSXEmjk] [/url]

Where are the serial numbers on these pre-war guns? All I have found so-far is the number under the barrel.

[url=https://imgur.com/i7Cxha4] [/url]

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mines has it underside of the barrel down by the receiver and also on the right side face of the receiver. Thats the two I can see without breaking it down.