16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Westley Richards - Hand-Detachable-Lock gun in Shotgun Life.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have always wanted a Westley Richards Best 16 or 20 gauge Drop Lock SXS double gun, unfortunately it has never happened. Recently in the Shotgun Life, shotguns for sale web page, a beautiful 20 gauge Best Westley Richards Drop Lock was advertised for sale, by Steve Burnett. Fantastic engraving of Dogs and birds on the breech work of the gun, just outstanding work. I am now realizing that the cost of these guns is now out of my reach, unless I give up one of my L.C. Smith #5 guns. This is never going to happen,
so I will not be able to afford the 20 gauge best Westley Richards Drop Lock, the asking price being $37,500. Just a few years ago I could have purchased this same gun, in 16 gauge from a vendor in the SSM, for about $8,900. Looks like I should have purchased that 16 gauge Drop Lock at that time. Prices on Best guns have increased severely.

A man can dream!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

20 Gauge Westley Richards Best, Drop Lock, SXS engineering perfection.

My good Friend Galens 16 gauge Drop Lock double gun, broken down to take pictures of the incredible SST Drop Lock engineering, and the Damascened polished drop Locks, similar to my Side Lock L.C. Smith #5 gun. Just incredible engineering.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I would gauge the going price of any gun off Barrett’s site. Most of their guns are consignment and many times prices much higher than actual value. Keep looking and you may find one that’s reasonable.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

There are a few on Guns International priced for less than what Barnett wants.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Thanks for the good advise, I never give up looking. I do like the advertised Westley Richards Drop Lock 20 gauge, real sweet gun. Although we are pretty well set with our retirement investment package, I do not want take over $13,000 out of it to purchase the gun. I will definitely continue to look for one I can afford, with some luck it might just happen.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I keep looking at a real nice 16 gauge LeFever on GI, would have purchased this gun long ago, if it did not have Damascus barrels. Asking price $2,550. Beautiful old gun.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I've eyeballed that Lefever a few times myself. Unfortunately, Russ isn't willing to send any decent photos of his guns when asked to, and his "dreamy jewelry store" photos on GI are terrible. He claims that sending better photos to perspective buyers never pans out and is a waste of his effort. It cost him a sale when I got frustrated and bought the William Cashmore at Van's instead. I haven't bought a gun from him since he started posting the lousy black fuzzy photos.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Garhart,

I agree with you 100%, nicer pictures are definitely need for me to go forward and the Damascus barrels were a no go for me also.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man