16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  NorthEast SXS at Hausmann's
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Northeast SXS is June 2-5 at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow in Pa. Any of you going? It has always been my favorite sxs venue. I typically camp out in the back with a few other campers. Was cancelled 2 yrs ago due to Covid , and last year, wife's mother died that week. Really looking forward to it , taking my Ithaca 4E 16 and Parker hammer 16, along with a few other 20's and 12's.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

That’s a great event and Earnie is a great guy. I went every year but they bumped up a week and can’t make it due to another commitment but this year that’s off. Unfortunately we’re in the middle of a relocation so I likely can’t make it. I have no time to load ammo right now either.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm going but can only be there Thursday due to work commitments and then my 40th college reunion on Saturday. Last year I missed due to my daughters wedding, the year before it was covid.

I'm Looking forward to having a great day and maybe doing a little wheeling and dealing with the Fox guys.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I just looked up Hausmann's Hidden Hollow and that is simply a part of Pennsylvania I've never been to. It sounds like it would be a neat experience, but unless you live somewhat nearby there would be no easy way to get there. Binghamton, NY is the closest town of any size (assuming they are served by an airline?) and even then it would be a significant drive down to the site. I assume that's all part of it's charm? I'm not even seeing towns of any size nearby where you might stay in a motel? Sounds wonderful! I'd be afraid I'd get there, go native, and never be able to go back to any city.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
I just looked up Hausmann's Hidden Hollow and that is simply a part of Pennsylvania I've never been to. It sounds like it would be a neat experience, but unless you live somewhat nearby there would be no easy way to get there. Binghamton, NY is the closest town of any size (assuming they are served by an airline?) and even then it would be a significant drive down to the site. I assume that's all part of it's charm? I'm not even seeing towns of any size nearby where you might stay in a motel? Sounds wonderful! I'd be afraid I'd get there, go native, and never be able to go back to any city.

You'd fit right in "back home" and yes cities are still hard to handle. And yes Bingo Town to the NE would be a city. The "Valley" to the NW (Waverly, Athens and Sayre) is a lot smaller but has hotels well a couple anyhow. And I gots family still around there.

There is even manufacturing in the area RST Shells is all of 12 minutes from Hausmann's Hidden Hollow.

Grouse and phez shot at a SGL close to Hausmann's Hidden Hollow

That is about the furthest East for me though. Bradford, Tioga and Potter Counties are more my old stomping grounds.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:07 am  Reply with quote

CI: Ahhh...the "old country". As far east as I ever got in that part of it was Pine Creek in the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" and Slate Run. It looked beautiful to me then (and the trout streams were wonderful). I'm sure the Friendsville area is charming as well and the fact that RST is part of the local scene doesn't hurt it either. If I were unencumbered...

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Mon May 23, 2022 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Go and have fun at the Hausmanns shoot, my Grouse hunting partner Ken Graft usually goes every year, they have a great time. Meet the owner of RST and maybe shoot a round with him. I have only been one time due to my work schedule teaching Fly Fishing here on Pine Creek. I am trying to get over for at least one day, never seems to happen however.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:11 am  Reply with quote

We golfed a year or 2 at Tioga - maybe 10yrs ago . The lady manager of the Penn Wells where we stayed said we'd NEVER be allowed in PA again ! EVER ! Have to find some sources and see if she's gotten over it yet !

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Good heavens man what did you guys do to up set the lady at the Penn Wells in
Wellsboro, Pa. She is usually an easy going lady!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I will be camping next to Kenny. Vestal, New york is where most people stay at motels. Some in Montrose, Pa. Many refuse to stay in New York due to their strict gun laws. I'll be packing up tomorrow and leaving early Wed. morning. Even though I live only 5 miles from the Western Pa border, it still takes 6 1/2 hrs to get there.
Sacrilege here, I know, but I have a beautiful Parker O Quality 16 ga O frame hammer gun with original 26" barrels, and found a set of 20 ga O frame 28" barrels that were easily fitted to it--I shoot it much better now.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:41 am  Reply with quote

PC Dave ...we MAY have disrupted the 5 star dinners all weekend - ALL WKEND !! . We stayed at the motor lodge and we MAY have partied all nite there , a little booze and barbecue at 4 AM on the balcony , LOUD . We may have even had the PA troopers playing cards and a beer AFTER she had called them to break up the shebang . On and on , you get the picture !!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:27 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Not good, the Penn Wells is known far and wide for their low key privacy, at 4 in the morning I can see why you guys making a lot of noise could get into big trouble with the management. I doubt you guys will ever be welcome at the Penn Wells again,

hope all works out for you,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:34 am  Reply with quote

3Birddogs,

Have a great time with Ken & Kim, at the Hausmanns shoot they are fantastic people. It looks like I will not becoming North to Potter County any time soon, my new Ryman Setter pup is having medical problems, never seen anything like it in 50 year of training gun dogs. I am hoping it is not Cancer. Have a Vet appointment tomorrow at 11:30 AM for her.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

3birddogs,

Just so you know I lost my new Ryman Setter pup Maggie Mae to stomach cancer on Wednesday after Memorial Day, things here are in a turmoil, the loss of this new Ryman Setter pup has greatly effected me and my wife. Being in my mid 70's Maggie was to be my retirement Grouse dog, if she had lived the usual 10-15 years here in our home.

Never had a Ryman Setter Grouse dog taken from us so early, most of my Ryman dogs live to be 12 -15 years old, I sure was not ready for God to take her at such a young age. My home is pretty much devastated.

We have talked quite a bit about Setter dogs, I thought I should let you know what happened.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave

My beautuful Maggie Mae asleep in my memories for ever, at my feet.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Dave: That's simply awful. They aren't supposed to break our hearts, but they always do. Mourn appropriately... and then get on with it. Another pup will be the only cure. Come Fall you'll be glad you did just that.