16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What else are you folks doing ?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Nice car Lloyd3!!

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
[url=https://imgur.com/Ux6GVKF] [/url]

Out driving my old car...

Stunning! I miss my 1974 400 Magnum Plymouth Roadrunner, wish I'd kept it...
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:39 am  Reply with quote

If I had been smart, I'd have sold this one several years ago now. My son is pretty enamored of it and I've told him he can have it some day, so...here it sits. Old cars are very much like old guns (or even old airplanes?) in many ways, inanimate objects that strike us as either "pretty" or "useful" and that we get to use on occasion. This one is more nostalgia for me than maybe my guns, but both can be very useful at times. Perhaps our possessions do define us just a little bit, eh?

[url=https://imgur.com/AYetKtg] [/url]

This one mostly sits in my garage under a cover, taking-up precious space and waiting for the right moments. But, even after all these years, I still get a charge out of it when I walk up on it in a parking lot. Silly, I know, but still fun and... a little fun is a good thing these days.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Real nice car buddy, use it as much as you can! Had a 69 Z28 myself, wish I still had it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, too many and regret selling them all now.
68 Z28
63 Vette convertible
56 Nomad
68 Vette

Good memories all

Bob
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

When I was growing up my Dad started in 1960 with a 1940 Chevy, than a '56 Belair, 2 - '56 Nomads all of which he restored, sold each and in 1967 bought a 1962 Vette, all matching serial numbers, restored it, he did all the work except for the interior. Kept it and bought a 1969 Vette, sometime early '80's. Completely restored that one but the numbers didn't match. Then ln 1998 he bought a brand new 1998 which, at 88, he still has and drives!!

Somewhere I have a picture of the cars.

I grew up around cars, car racing and racing motocross. From 1997 -2007 worked on a pavement modified, what a great time. I still watch Supercross, AMA Motocross, MotoGP, Moto 2, Moto 3, Formula 1 and NASCAR and I don't miss any races. Thank goodness for DVR's. My neighbor is trying to get me going to the dirt races up here........probably won't take much!!

BWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, go to dirt races!
My favorite racing is half mile sprint cars and motorcycles!

Bob
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Motorcycle racing?? This is me in 1978 -- taken at old Mid America Raceway near Wentzville, Missouri. This great track is long gone -- now a housing development. Google it or see it on Google Earth. It takes a little imagination to see what it once was. Lots of elevation changes and trees -- like a small Nurburgring.

My bike in those pictures is a 1974 Yamaha TZ250 roadracer -- not a street bike, but a purpose-built racebike, available to the public at certain Yamaha dealerships. It's a 250cc water-cooled two-stroke twin of about 47 horsepower. A previous owner was clocked at 156mph down the back straight at Daytona on this bike in '74 or '75 -- it had 350cc then -- easy, take off the cylinders, heads and pistons and carb jets from the TZ250, and put on those from the TZ350 of those days.

All motoring is good. If it runs on fossil fuels, or goes bang, it's for me.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I just heard that an inherited rifle is on it's way here to me and should be arriving Thursday. Something a little different, a Savage Model 99 EG in .250-3000. These rifles used-to be plentiful and inexpensive in the world I grew-up in, but that seems to have changed. My dear friend passed a few years ago now, but before his passing he got into these guns in a big way. His widow gave me this one (along with a few boxes of shells) on my recent trip back there. My family was into Winchesters, so I shot mostly inherited stuff on whitetails and know almost nothing about these 99s except for what I've read about them recently. This one's pretty clean (unfired?) so....I'll need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with it. Should be fun.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
I just heard that an inherited rifle is on it's way here to me and should be arriving Thursday. Something a little different, a Savage Model 99 EG in .250-3000. These rifles used-to be plentiful and inexpensive in the world I grew-up in, but that seems to have changed. My dear friend passed a few years ago now, but before his passing he got into these guns in a big way. His widow gave me this one (along with a few boxes of shells) on my recent trip back there. My family was into Winchesters, so I shot mostly inherited stuff on whitetails and know almost nothing about these 99s except for what I've read about them recently. This one's pretty clean (unfired?) so....I'll need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with it. Should be fun.

You dog! My first centerfire that my grandfather let me shoot chucks with was a 99 250-3000. Big step up from the 22's but still am a fan of the 22.

Not an expert on the 99 but mine had a round counter on the side. And the shells were in old paper boxes. Sometimes would pull the trigger and nothing would happen then all of a sudden they would go off. My first experience with hangfires. And that was a half century ago. The 3000 was for the fps it was a screamer at the time. And I am still a fan of the quarter bore. Have a custom 25-06 in the safe before it became mainstream because of the 250-3000.

Just broke another 16 ga. SxS tonight ugh, shot a screw loose and no where in sight. And right before the Duluth double gun shoot darn it.

But shooting a lot of 22 when no one has been throwing birds. Have a lot of bricks of different lots and makes to keep trying yet.

Hopefully my silencer will be coming out of BATF jail by the end of the month.

Also got into PCP air rifles finally and shooting off my deck after supper. First seen them at the Olympics in 96 at Atlanta and wanted one ever since. Finally broke down and got a compressor and rifle. I should have done it a lot sooner.

Life is good. Nah... it is great!

But a 250-3000 Savage 99 would be icing on the cake.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron: Thank you! In theory, that rifle gets here today. The surprising challenge has been getting the 3 old boxes of ammo I got with it here too. My buddy back there hasn't been able to ship them at all, being turned away at every location. Yet another problem to overcome, I suppose.

Edit: It's here...

[url=https://imgur.com/qgwSh4U] [/url]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

What else am I doing? Oh, just hanging around with friends...
[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70049_1000x667/] [/URL]][/img]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Catching a fish or two while Rusty and I wait for bird season...
[[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70050_512x768/] [/URL]][/img]

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Yellowstone cutt?

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

What? No grayling?

Love the grayling article, Wyo. I have caught exactly one grayling in my life, in Yellowstone's Gibbon River in the meadows above the falls. About 11 inches, rising freely under a sweeper, I left probably a half-dozen flies in the tree branches before I caught it.
I can still play the tape ... the fish ran with the current a ways, then turned and raised its dorsal. At that point, I knew it was a grayling - no mistake.
Landed it, admired it - purple, pink, bronze, silver and black. Turned it loose.
That was the summer of 93.
Been itching to catch more ever since.