16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powders for 16 ga Bismuth loads.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Getting ready to start reloading 16 ga. What are some of the better powders for 16 ga 1 to 1 1/8 bismuth loads.
THANKS for any info!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:32 am  Reply with quote

For 1 oz. loads, Unique, Universal, 800-X, 572, Herco. Longshot.

For 1 1/8 oz. loads, 800-X, 572, Blue Dot, Longshot.

makintrax73
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I used Unique in some 7/8 oz bismuth loads I sent in for testing some time ago when I was in desperate need of loads for use on WPAs. These were roll crimped 2 1/2" shells. The pressures were quite low, and it wasn't the greatest load in the world.....like 20 fps SD, 50 ES....going off memory. If it would be helpful PM your email address and I can email you pictures of the test sheets on Monday.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Could you post the results for all of us?
makintrax73
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:16 am  Reply with quote

stevesavage wrote:
Could you post the results for all of us?

Sure thing. I'm away til Monday, but I'll post it up.

ETA forgot these were emailed by Precision

Fio hull cut to 65mm, Fio 616, SG16 wad, 390 grains No 6 Bismuth, 16 ga OSC, roll crimped

19.5 grains Unique: Avg 1234, SD 19, EV 46 - 5683 psi avg

20.5 grains Unique: Avg 1262, SD 21, EV 50 - 6022 psi avg

Seems like low pressure, but I suppose within reason when you look at old school 1 oz data with about the same charge of Unique (I'm 1/8 less), and I have a roll crimp which probably reduced pressure in this configuration (?).
stevesavage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is that bismuth greatly benefits from buffer, especially if you want to get any sort of extended range performance from the stuff. Without buffer, the patterns get weak by mid range and I don't feel it even works as good as steel. Buffering solves that. Considering the high cost of the stuff, I want all of the potential performance when I load it, not half. Truth be known, I only use it when I have to (damascus barrels).

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Wyochukar. I won't shoot a Bismuth load that isn't buffered.

makintrax73
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

That's an interesting insight I had not heard before. I wonder now if buffering my lighter load would have brought the pressure up into a more stable range. I expect the low pressure of my load caused the wide velocity swings. At the time I was under an extreme time crunch, and the shells were for Sept sharpies on WPAs not waterfowl so great performance wasn't needed as much as 3 pellets in the right place out to 30-35 yards ( and not getting arrested!). Never did pattern it.

My initial thought was try again with SG16S wads and add shot to bring it up to 15/16 or 1 oz, but 7/8 is a money saver with bismuth so perhaps buffer would be a better idea.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

makintrax73, expect buffer to raise pressures by 1,500-2,500 psi.

PatrickB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

I've used LS and now 572 for LP Bismuth loads with 15/16, 1 and 1 1/16 payloads.

No experience with buffer as that would increase PSI beyond low pressure requirements so I'll defer to its benefits to those who are familiar.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:36 am  Reply with quote

I’ve never used buffer. How does one go about getting mixed in with the shot charge?
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:55 am  Reply with quote

It gets poured on top of the shot after the drop. I'm currently using the PR stuff, it sifts/runs down around the pellets like water but I'm using #4 and larger = large spaces. Not sure how it would work with smaller sizes. Some use some sort of vibration to get it to sift in or tap the shell on the bench. Key is to use just enough to fill the spaces and not displace the shot/column much.

I find inexpensive plastic measuring spoons to be the best way to manage metering and dispensing. All in all, a fastidious added step but IMO worth it for the best long haul Bis ammo.

FWIW; my experience shows it doesn't help steel patterns much at all.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=PR&i=PSB22

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Buffering can't help steel patterns because steel shot doesn't deform. The ONLY reason for buffer in a steel shot load is to cover up the inadequacies of a steel shot wad i.e. being too thin and allowing pellet rub through.

Using the PSB from Precision Reloading, should be done with tested data as there is usually a 2,500 PSI gain when it is added.

putz463, has it correct. It must be slowly sifted into the shot using vibration. Enough vibration that you see the shot rotating, but not enough that the shot is bouncing up and down. Using only enough buffer that as soon as you start to see the top of the shot you stop the vibration. When you cut the load apart the buffer should be evenly distributed top to bottom. There should not be a layer of buffer under the shot, as this only raises the wad column height and does not help the pattern.

Buffer is added to fill in the space between the pellets and not providing space for the pellets to deform into, it is not there to be used as a cushion.

PSB will effectively buffer down to #7's and maybe #7.5 shot if you are really patient with the vibration process. #6 shot and larger is a breeze to buffer with PSB.

I use the Lee Powder Measure scoops to measure the buffer and pour it onto the top of the shot. I also use the Precision Reloading Tight Seal to keep the buffer in the shell as any little void in the crimp will allow PSB to leak out. It is basically a piece of tyvec which offers no resistance and will not disrupt the pattern. I don't recommend over shot cards.

I haven't ever bothered to buffer anything less than a 1 1/8 oz. load. Mostly because I use #5 shot and I am looking for pellet count and the loads are used primarily for pheasants and to a much lesser extent ducks and sharptails.

I don't have any 1 oz. or 7/8 oz. buffered bismuth loads.

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:15 am  Reply with quote

And makes one wonder why BP on well more than a handful of their 10ga steel data suggests to add a paltry amount (usually 12gr) of buffer to the load.

Not trying to hijack or argue, simply sharing my experience for the sake of truth; in my experience, the steel shot I use (PR, RSI & BP) 1, B, T, TT (NOS from a retired Goose hunter) & F do deform, certainly not as much as bis or lead, but every pellet I've ever retrieved from harvested birds are/were pock marked.