16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Club Activity
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Our club threw just shy of a million targets in the past year. Maybe this partly explains the ammo shortage.

How has your club done this year?

B.
probie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:05 am  Reply with quote

For whatever reason, we didn't have our annual pig roast....
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11, is 1m targets up or down from the last several years?

I will be at my club in the next couple days so will ask about this. Similar to probie, some annual events get or have been canceled.

I do know I've been shooting far less due to the primer shortage and working in the shop a far more due to covid induced short handedness and covid's spin off supply chain challenges.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:44 am  Reply with quote

I don't know how many targets the club I go to throws each year, but all the leagues (5 Stand, Sporting Clays, Trap & Skeet) are well attended as well as the events. The owner does a good job of having enough ammo for everyone.

The Sporting Clays League started yesterday, I will be there tonight to shoot my first 50 targets.

I really want to shoot my 16 ga. 1100 and that new 1 oz. load using 572......but I shot my Benelli SS very well last Saturday.........decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

probie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:07 am  Reply with quote

"cuse me", "cuse me'... was just tying to be funny w/post above, not trying to demean the intent of the OP. My "club" isn't as "dynamic" as what many of you have. Right in the middle of farmland, the participation of club members often leaves something to be desired. The old buffaloes who are left were the ones that organized pig roasts, family days, youth days, fishing days, pheasant releases, and archery events etc. But with little help from the newcomers many of these events have been cut back & the usual guys who did it are gone or burnt out. Covid knocked the hell out of activities also, as is the present situation of lack of ammo & components. Guys are just NOT coming out to shoot, whether it be for lack of funds to buy or even find the ammo. Only ones shooting now are the reloaders. There's more of the oldtimers in the club house playing cards & drinking beer than involved in anything else. But @ $30/yr with your own key one can shoot, hunt, fish, eat your dues up at 1-2 meetings/yr and go into the range anytime you want, it can't be beat. At every meeting, 10-15 new applicants is common and now we mandate "work" hours for all new members.
Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:24 am  Reply with quote

School district bought our land and built a new high school. Bought a new piece of land and was all set to begin building when a little old country cemetery across the road took us to court about noise and won.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Are they afraid you'll wake the dead?

We haven't had a clay shooting club in my area for a long time. Nearest is a skeet field nearly 150 miles away. No wonder I can't buy shot here anymore.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:16 am  Reply with quote

All I know is my club is raising the cost of a round of trap or skeet by 40%. Seems the last load of targets purchased was $2000+ higher than previous, and they already know that the next load will go up another $2100.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:42 am  Reply with quote

To bad many clubs couldn't get together within a hundred mile radius and fund a small operation to manufacture their own targets.
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Last year Amarillo Gun Club threw 2.2 Million targets

I HELPED

https://www.amarillogunclub.org/index.htm

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I run the local skeet club (small club,10 shooters or less)Still throw 50,000 +/- targets a year ---no current plans to raise costs.
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure of the count, but they raised prices to $3 a round from $2.75.

2 skeet fields & a trap field, though one skeet field is more lightly used while there are no inter -club competitions for the summer. We have a summer skeet league for the members, but I just shoot for hunting practice.

Most of our competition right now is on the pistol fields.

BWW
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Not a club or private , but our local clay shooting range which has been here for 19 years, is closing down for good on the 25th of this month.
Great place, good guys and close to Boise.
Not sure of the cause but I would guess high ammo prices, etc. have definitely had an effect.

Bob
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Have not been back to the Nemacolin Shooting Academy for quite a while.
After I had my open heart surgery I gave up my Corp Membership, my understanding is the new management is doing fairly well, but nothing like when my sister in law was the assistant manager. I believe it was further toned down, when Covid hit. At any rate it is till a popular place to shoot clays, my understanding is that the memberships have gone up, and a walk on shoot is very expensive now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:40 am  Reply with quote

B11 - our monthly mtg last nite , we had 400 rds(10,000) , plus the kids trap league (55kiDs X2 rds) plus the trap league (130) , plus the skeet league (90) . So we may not be in the major league category (smaller club), but it's sure keeping me out of trouble !!