16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Precision Reloading Data
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I emailed Precision Reloading for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. reloading data.

I received 2 very nice documents with good looking loads on them.

I tried to attach them here but, I can't get it to work.

The hulls used are Fiocchi, Federal and Cheddite.

Primers used are, Fiocchi, Cheddite, Winchester and Federal.

Powders used are Green Dot, International, Unique, Universal, Herco, 800-X, Blue Dot and Longshot.

Wads used are, CB0078-16, Gualandi 1816 (SG16-S), Z2M16

No Winchester 572, but Hodgdon has plenty of data for that.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

I sure hope you can get that posted, Mark. Wow!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Just email Precsion Reloading: Orders@precisionreloading.com and ask them for 16 gauge load data, for whatever payload weight you want.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Just email Precsion Reloading: Orders@precisionreloading.com and ask them for 16 gauge load data, for whatever payload weight you want.

I will definitely do that. Thanks!
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 am  Reply with quote

Careful with their Bluedot loads. I made the mistake of loading 100 back when I first started loading. They went together nicely so I thought I had a winner. They have the worst recoil of any 16 round I’ve ever fired. They’re WAY TOO HOT. I heard this from other people regarding any of their data. That was the only load of theirs I ever tried. They’re still in my loading room. They’d be fine out of a heavier gun like a steel frame Citori but not my grouse guns.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:10 am  Reply with quote

So let's get this correct. Their loads are not "too hot". Their loads are going to recoil because they built loads that have some velocity to them. They actually have produced good loads with Blue Dot and Longshot. If you want lighter recoiling loads they have those using International, Unique and Universal.

They will fit, they will operate any auto loader and 0 degree temps won't bother the loads.

Blue Dot and Longshot have no business being used for 1,200 FPS 7/8, 1 or 1 1/8 oz. loads. There are powders more appropriately suited for that.

Someone finally developed loads that make sense.

I understand that some powders are tough to get right now but that doesn't make it a good idea to use powders for inappropriate loads.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Mark, what is their approximate turnaround time for getting loads tested?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:26 am  Reply with quote

I really don't know. I have used them 3 times now over a period of probably 4 years and each time I have had the results back in a week from the time they probably received the loads.

I send stuff to Tom Armbrust more often, just because I have known him since 1992.

During the cold months, when Tom doesn't test, loads go to Precision.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:31 am  Reply with quote

OK, thanks. Tom has always been my go-to and I'll stay the course.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Way back when, Tom and I used to have a reference load that we shot every time we setup. Monthly we would compare the numbers and we were always within 15 FPS and 400 PSI of each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if that still might be the case. When I look at what Precision does with loads, it reminds me a lot of that same mentality. Use the right components for the job. It probably will ruffle some feathers, but it is the correct way to develop loads......and you won't be standing there, with your hand on your *** watching a nice rooster fly away because the load went fffwwoooop!!

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:47 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
....and you won't be standing there, with your hand on your *** watching a nice rooster fly away because the load went fffwwoooop!!

Been there unfortunately. I have forgotten about many great shots I've made, but I can never seem to forget these.

Happened one time each on a pheasant and a grouse. Winchester wad in a Federal hull way back when I first started reloading the 16 gauge. The recipe came from a Hodgdon I believe because it involved Universal Clays. A perfect storm.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:42 am  Reply with quote

I had it happen a couple of times with the 20 gauge, Remington wad in a Federal hull using SR7625. It took me 2 missed opportunities before I realized what was going on. The first time I thought that the load didn't have enough powder in it. LOL it was ugly though and I can't forget those times either.

robp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Careful with their Bluedot loads. I made the mistake of loading 100 back when I first started loading. They went together nicely so I thought I had a winner. They have the worst recoil of any 16 round I’ve ever fired. They’re WAY TOO HOT. I heard this from other people regarding any of their data. That was the only load of theirs I ever tried. They’re still in my loading room. They’d be fine out of a heavier gun like a steel frame Citori but not my grouse guns.

Are you mixing up ballistic product data with data from precision reloading? I still use the blanks to supersonics book every load from in I've tried has worked well
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:46 am  Reply with quote

robp,

Blanks to Supersonics were the loads I developed back in the late 1990's to early 2,000's, when Precision was in CT.

The new loads were developed more recently, by completely different folks in SD.

I know what Swampy is talking about, but this isn't about hot loads (as in dangerous) it is about loads that recoil in the lighter shotguns. Precision isn't afraid to put a little velocity behind the loads (which they shouldn't be). Most folks don't understand that for a good load for all conditions you have to make the powder work hard, which tends to raise the velocity.

Light SxS's aren't the guns that most folks want 1300 FPS+ 1 1/8 oz. loads. They are going to kick. Many folks can't handle handicap loads in a 9 lb. trap gun.

The Precision data gives you a choice of light and heavy loads and they use the appropriate powders for each. If you are recoil sensitive and/or shoot light guns, the Herco, Blue Dot, Longshot loads are not the ones you should be looking at.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

robp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Good to know I'll have to take a look I would like some 1300 1 and 1 1/8oz loads come hunting season
I will have to give them an email to request some data