16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  why is the citori so good?
jig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

My brother and I both owned beretta whitewings for about 6 years (me) and 8 years (bro). I traded mine in on a Browning superposed Lightning 12GA and that gun was like night and day to the beretta. I killed the first 12 birds (pheasants) I shot at with it - some very difficult shots. In fact, I didnt miss a single rooster with it the first year I owned it. My brother and other hunting partners were as amazed as I was. I tolf them time and again that it was the gun - and that they should both run and get one. My bro poo-poo'd the notion and said his Beretta was just fine thank you. Well, after the 2nd season with the superposed I had to sell it to finance a custome mauser project I was working on. But replaced it this season (finally) with a brand new Browning XS Skeet. In the meantime, my bragging on the superposed and its eventual replacement with the XS Skeet finally got to my brother enough that he traded his Beretta in on a brand new 525 Field. Now this year he has not missed a Pheasant, or quail or chukar with that gun. I have watched him double up on all three species. He has been absolutely flabbergasted with the gun's performance and calls it "my magic wand". And I tell him see what I mean bro? Why did we suffer with those Beretta's for all those years. Its a wonder we didnt get an inferiority complex or something. We knew deep down we were good shots as we both have many years of shooting under our belts. But WOW! anyone that thinks a gun can't make a huge difference is just plain wrong. Hence, the title of this thread: Why is the citori so good? Why. why, why why,? It just seems to shoot where its pointed. Anyone else have similar experience with the citori line of guns? Initially we both went for Beretta's because we liked the looks and it was our dream to have one as soon as we could afford it. But now, probably due to the way the browning performs we think it's also better looking. Now if I can learn to shoot the Sterlingworth as good as the citori I'll be in business. Or maybe I should just bite the bullet, sell the Sterlingworth and buy a 16GA white lightning since I now I'm deadly with Browning spec's. Here is the final rub: My brother and I are not physically similar in any way. He's shorter and stockier than me. So its not cuz we are similar build. The citori/superposed design just flat out works. Guess I should also close by saying that neither my brother nor I have ever shot as well with the myriad of shotguns we have owned as we have the Browning. The only one I came close with it on was an Ithaca model 37 featherweight choked full - yes full, even for quail. Got my first 25/25 on trap with that gun. Shot the poor thing to death. Anyone ever shot a citori with an english stock?? I'm curious how it performed -and was it hard to get used to?
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

This one's got 16gauge guy's name all over it <SEG>

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

could be magic, could be you're thinking of shooting better, could be it just fits you (and most hooters) better and therefore lets you hit better...
quinletc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Beretta 686 (12ga) and a Browning Citori (20ga). The 686 has 26" barrels and the Citori 28". I find they both shoot very well, but I probably shoot the Citori a little better - I would love to have one in 16 or 12.

Length and ballance are part of it. John Browning is also a big part.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I started with Citori's simply because they fit me well, and at that time, the Berettas didn't. I also like Browning quality. I have 3 Citoris now, the 20 and 16 get regular workouts and the 12 (my first) sits in the safe most of the time. Two are Grans and the 12 is a White Lightning. I like the Grans (no longer produced) for the nice wood and under-done embellishment. To my eye, the Grans are one of the most aesthetically appealing O/U's made, and they shoot great!
chilly460
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

I think it's just one of those lucky, stumbled upon combinations that just works.

I've heard it said about Remington 870s quite often, that they just fit everybody. Hearing a lot of the same thing about Benelli semis too.

I have two Citoris, 12 and 16. A lot of people don't like the heft of my 12ga (it's an older Hunter model and quite heavy), but almost universally find that it does feel nice and shoot great for them. Same for the 16ga. Maybe it has to do with the "ugly" tall receiver, or relatively short LOP on most of them.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Listen to that Browning close---ahhhhhh-----like a well made watch/close that other b-gun--------what was that noise -----oh just another piece falling off Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ---hey where did that screw/spring/etc. roll to NOW Embarassed
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

hoa.....that was good......... Laughing
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

They're nice guns. And they don't fit me or handle for me worth a poop. And, yes, I have owned a couple. So, I go with "that other b-gun" and some other spaghetti guns. And I've yet to have any thing fall off (me or the gun). Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:25 am  Reply with quote

You all know my opinion of the Citori line of shotguns, so I won't rehash it other than to say, they are well made, rugged guns. However, I will repeat myself about gun fit. IMO, it is the most important aspect of what makes a good gun for the individual shooter.

A good functioning, dependable design is important to be sure. Nobody wants a gun the does not do what its supposed to do without a lot of problems.

Good quality is important also. The easiest way to ruin a perfectly good design is make it slipshod and from crappy materials. We've all seen this from the cheap copies of known dependable designs like the Asian 870 versions and the Model 37 copy. Even the cheap copy of the Superposed does not cut it. Those guns are junk, because the tolerances are not close and the steel and wood used is crap. They work for a while, then fall apart. The barrels are not well regulated on the double guns and shoot to their own individual points of impact. So the owners are lucky to have one barrel hit fairly close. the other is a good place to carry spare parts.

However, if the well made gun you are shooting does not naturally point where you look, all the quality, fine workmanship, beautiful wood, polished steel, and exquisite engraving won't help worth a damn. You will be the best dressed flounder on the line--period.

I shoot any small frame Citori Lightning or Superlight very well, because they fit me like they are custom made for me right out of the box. The LOP, the drop and cast off are perfect. Other Citori models with slightly different stock dimensions do not shoot nearly as well for me. I can't shoot their trap models for beans unless I have the stocks modified to suit me.

I recently bought a well used, somewhat cosmetically abused, but mechanically sound 325 sporting clays model for a bargain basement price. The stock was already shortened slightly and it fits me very well. The drop to comb from the rib where my cheek sits just happens to be exactly the same as that on my small frame guns. So is the cast. My eye is right smack where it should be for this gun. I was going to fix the gun up and trade it. Not any more. This one is pure shooter. I'm doing well with it, so I'm keeping it. I'd rather be lucky than smart. I might send it back to Browning for a face lift, or I might juist shoot it as is and let all the crushed targets speak for me. Pretty is as pretty does, but fine shootng is beautiful to see and so much fun to do.

If you find a gun that fits you to a tee, stay with it. You are a very, very lucky fellow. Few shotgunners are so fortunate. Most have to either squirm into the gun or finally smarten up and have the gun fitted to them. If you are dumb enough to sell or trade it for the next glittering toy without understanding why that gun shot so well for you, then you have missed an opportunity to understand what wingshooting is really all about--and shame on you for being so foolish.

To summerize it all, the three most important aspects of wingshooting are gun fit, gun fit, and gun fit. Now lets go shoot a few.
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:51 am  Reply with quote

16gg,

I thought you said confidence was the most important aspect of wingshooting (? Wink Laughing )

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Well, in one sense, you are correct my friend. If you shoot with doubt in your mind, you will miss. However, nothing brings confidence like success, and nothing brings success in wingshooting faster than a perfectly fitted shotgun that shoots exactly where you are looking. It makes hitting so much easier to do.
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
If you find a gun that fits you to a tee, stay with it. You are a very, very lucky fellow. Few shotgunners are so fortunate. Most have to either squirm into the gun or finally smarten up and have the gun fitted to them. If you are dumb enough to sell or trade it for the next glittering toy without understanding why that gun shot so well for you, then you have missed an opportunity to understand what wingshooting is really all about--and shame on you for being so foolish.

True that. Which is exactly why the 5 O/Us in my safe are still there and probably will be with me to the end. Doesn't mean I won't add to my modest little collection ... I intend to. But these aren't going anywhere. My 687 SP II Sporting with 30 inch barrrels looks and feels like a cannon compared to my four field guns. Makes a good trap gun for me, though. The other four, I can grab any one of them and shoot low-gun skeet or bird hunt and know if I'm not hitting ... it's me, not the gun. I've only been diddling around with guns for a couple decades, but I've learned this: When you find one that shoots well for you and is reliable, it's OK to be tempted by the next siren song, but dont even think about trading off or selling the sweet shooter. I feel very lucky to have found and had the sense to retain the bird guns I have. And, jeez, prices for good guns just keep going up.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've too often seen the damage done to a line of trap, skeet, or sporting clays targets, not to mention game birds killed, by folks with Beretta shotguns to be dumb enough to say something bad about the guns. Beretta makes one of the best Italian o/u guns on the market. Next to a Perazzi, they are very hard to beat IMO. It's too bad the company won't make a 16 ga gun for its loyal customers who want one. I think they'd sell very well.

I just do not shoot Beretta o/u guns well as they come stocked from the factory. I tend to shoot high with them. When I shoulder one, everything feels ok. My eye seems centered down the rib fine. nothing appears out of kilter. If I concentrate and shoot right at A trap target, I can hit straightaways easily enough. Same for a station 7 low house skeet target. No problem. However, give me a hard quartering shot or a crosser and I'll top it or miss over everytime. Not so with a Browning Citori Lightning. Be it bird or clay, I'm right in the middle with it where I should be.

I'm guessing it is more the dynamics of the way the two guns act under the forces of recoil in my hands more than anything. The Browning just shoots a bit flatter for me. I tend to shoot right at a target and don't float them unless they are dropping. The bead or barrel/bird relationship or sight picture that automatically triggers my brain to execute the shot works with the Browning and not the Beretta.

If I could stock a Beretta field gun to shoot well for me, I'd probably be almost burying the bead and rib. I like to see the slightest sliver of rib when I mount a gun. I find a totally flat rib annoying. I can't tell if its flat or buried. And, if its buried, is it buried too much? Will I shoot low? For me, its easier to make a low shooting gun shoot higher, than a high shooting gun shoot lower.

These problems are similar to the ones we all face when we shoot a gun that does not shoot well for us. Its just better and easier to be able to focus on the target and automatically shoot when the gun comes to the shoulder and cheek and all is right for the shot. No thought. No doubts. No worries. Just swing, bang, bingo--crushed target. It is that easy when the gun fits you and shoots right where you look. Once you experience that feeling, you will never forget it. Its as easy as tossing a rock. If you do, hold onto that gun for dear life; you've just found one that fits you to a tee.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Very true words about the fitting of a gun, shooting well or not, and confidence.

I recently bought a Ceasar Guerini SC in 12ga. I thought it was going to be just what the Dr. ordered. Figured I could shoot a little trap with it too. NOT.

I put 1100 rds through that gun and just could not shoot it well at all. Sold the gun and went back to my Citori Feather in 16ga. for both sports.