16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #8 Steel
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:53 am  Reply with quote

Had some time to mess around with an idea for loading some #8 steel for targets, BPI has it. Thought it might come in handy some day. IMO 350 pellets is all I ever need for targets so 265gn ~5/8oz (265gn = Lyman shot dipper set on 7/8oz) of #8 steel was the goal.

Loaded an RGL Rem209 7/8oz Bluedot SP16 Lyman lead recipe but subbed in a Ched209, inserted a shot cup from a CB28 in the SP16 and 265gn of #8 steel shot, fit/crimped perfectly. Patterned it and for comparison also a 7/8oz #8 lead load through an 870 fixed full at 20 paces and the steel shot soft and on paper looked just like the lead load ~18" core dense swarm of tiny little holes. Went out to the sporting field broke targets fine but a lot of un-burned powder in the barrel. Retrieved a couple wads and no scrub through.

So, thought this might be able to take some faster powder. so, right out of Lymans chose a Universal and Greendot 7/8oz lead load.

RGL, R209P, 18gn GD, SP16, 7/8 lead, fold, 1266 9800
RGL, R209P, 21gn Universal, SP16, 7/8lead, fold, 1322, 9800

In both subbed in Ched209/cx2000, inserted CB28 cups in the SP16's & 265gn #8 steel.

PR tested...

GD load, 1455fps sd10 ev24 9185psi sd640 ev1370
Uni load, 1384fps sd9 ev20 7520psi sd209 ev430

Now to load a bunch up and do some more filed testing.

Fun messing with this stuff, thought I'd share & might be useful someday.

Last edited by putz463 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total

John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I have been working on the same concept. I am about 20 minutes drive from Bucks Run/RSI.

Last year about this time, ammunition was tough to come by. I wanted to go dove hunting in Iowa on public land where nontoxic shot is required.

I picked up 20 lbs of #7 steel and spent about 3 weeks working on a load for dove and targets.

I ended up with Winchester AA hull, 16.0 grains of 700-X powder, Cheddite 209 primer, 310 grains (about 3/4 oz) of #7 steel shot in a CB 8118-12 wad which I lined with an insert made from clear vinyl that I purchased from the fabric department at Walmart.

This load chronographs at 1325 fps. It patterns beautifully. The shot does not scrub through the wad/vinyl insert. My skeet scores with it match my lead shot scores. On the dove field, this load killed my first limit of doves through a cylinder choke at ranges from 15 to 38+ yards. On Thursday, I shot my highest score of this summer at sporting clays with this load.

I also worked out a load of about 5/8 oz (285 grains) for my 16 gauge. It uses 14.0 grains 700X powder and the CB 0100-16 wad/vinyl liner. It chronographs at about 1300 fps and I use it for skeet. I do think it would be more effective with #8 steel.

I picked up 70 lbs of #7 steel recently. I really like how these loads pattern and perform.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Good job here , too , Mike ..... I likey the GD load, more in the realm of useable pressure to me . I even did a few experiments with the Herters wads doing the same thing you are with Hevi shot . Didn't have too many sacrificial 28's at the time , but same structure . 1st load went OK , then the 2nd , the wad just confettied and stuff dropped from the sky everywhere !! Decided the H wads wouldn't hold muster and end of that story . Think you may be on to something here with your load .

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Let's hear more guys. Very interesting. I got a shxx pot load of 700x to spare on this kind of stuff. Bill
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 am  Reply with quote

Neat stuff, I considered the liner idea, reminiscent of a teflon or mylar wrapper in some bis loads. But was looking for more of a "faster" way since the goal was somewhat "high" volume target loads. Some of my hunting loads are somewhat slow, complex and fastidious to make and would probably drive most nuts but the performance is well worth their effort.

Notes; Snipped the CB28 with PVC cutters a Case 16ga Trapper knife would work just as well maybe faster. CB28 cup slits are 45* (1/8 turn) out of phase with the SP16. the 4 spines molded into the SP16 petals allow easy line up of the 4 CB28 petal slits and knida hold it in place while the load is being assembled. See no reason why this technique wouldn't work in CB100-16/WAA-16 loads, re; full length wad petals. Not certain about shorter wad/cups. SP16 & CB28 = the weight of a VP80, their combined wall/petal thickness is also ~= to a VP80 wall/petal. VP80 ~=$ to the combined SP16 & CB28. CB100-16 & CB28 would be less $.

Edit; I mis typed the pattern results, after reviewing the pattern sheets last night, it was the Zoli lower barrel fixed Mod that produced the ~18" at 20 paces, the 870 Full ~15"@20, but not mistyped was the results, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the steel and lead patterns. Splitting hairs; the steel patterns had less flyers.

Last edited by putz463 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:17 am  Reply with quote

I am intrigued by the idea of a wad within a wad for 16 gauge. With the shot wrap, the wad petals of the CB 0100-16 wad are often torn off.

I suspect the floor of the shot cup is flexing too much upon firing/setback. The additional shot cup should alleviate this issue.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:04 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
suspect the floor of the shot cup is flexing too much upon firing/setback. The additional shot cup should alleviate this issue.

Could be since the WAA & CB 16 wads have those skinny crush legs, I can see them piling up in the middle of the cup floor during firing sequence putting a bunch of force on the OD of the cup, maybe even poking through. After messing with some wildcat 10ga steel loads, its amazing to see how much this steel shot beats these plastic wads up compared to lead.

Worth a shot, let me know if you need a handful of CB28's to play with. not sure I have your new address, PM if wanting some.

John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:40 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

Worth a shot, let me know if you need a handful of CB28's to play with. not sure I have your new address, PM if wanting some.

I appreciate that. However, it would cost more to ship than for me to purchase locally.

I am shooting skeet this afternoon with my 16 gauge steel loads.

I will definitely load up and try your system of a wad within a wad.

John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:50 am  Reply with quote

I have not loaded any yet, but I purchased a partial bag of 7/8 oz 20 gauge wads at a used Sportsman Rack (used sporting goods store in Rochester).
The shot cup fits perfectly in the CB 0100-16 wad.

It should work well with a 5/8 oz steel shot load in the 16 gauge and prevent the wad collapse.

Thanks for the inspiration.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Great, hope it works for you. Please share results when you get a chance.