16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What is your absolute favorite 16 gauge gun for Grouse.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Do you own your ultimate 16 gauge Grouse gun? In my case I do and in reality the gun has 2 different sets of barrels and 2 for-ends also. Having an early 1800's 16 gauge J.P. Sauer Grouse Gun, manufactured on a 20 gauge frame, it was hard not choosing it as my ultimate Grouse gun. With Krupp 28" Barrels and DT with French Walnut Wood that is no longer available, the gun patterns beautifully for Grouse hunting, choked IC/M. The very conservative spinning clay, German engraving makes the gun look very be spoke. Unfortunately the gun has only one set of barrels.

My Grandfathers cousin Adam, a wise old Dutchman Special Ordered his 16 gauge L.C. Smith 00 gun in 1901, with #1 gun engraving, DT and 2 pre production fore-ends special made to his specifications. He chose very high Grade French Walnut Wood and 2 sets of 26" Barrels for Grouse, Pheasant & Duck hunting on his property in Lancaster county, Pa. Both sets of barrels choked differently for shooting different birds/Ducks. Upon Adams passing, his wife sold this particular gun to Walt Schiessl for his private collection. The gun remained in his collection for many years. Because Walt and I were close friends, Walt knew I had possession of most all our family L.C. Smith guns. Walt finally offered to let me have Adams gun at a reasonable price, that is a reasonable price to him. In reality this was a very big deal, Walt just did not sell guns from his private collection, and I knew it.
Walt advised me that the gun was definitely a one of a kind L.C. Smith Special Order gun, that I would never see another one like it. I still remember the UPS man waiting while I opened the package and inspected the double gun, what I saw was a pristine 16 gauge gun with 2 sets of barrels and French Walnut Wood, that had few equals. After using the gun in the Grouse woods, it became my favorite Grouse gun. Adam and I have the same LOP and the gun fits me like I special ordered it for myself. Later when Walt called to make sure I liked the gun, I actually offered to pay him more money, the pristine gun was definitely a made to order L.C. Smith 2 barrel set. To this day I have never seen another like it, and I have seen many many L.C. Smith guns. The gun will probably always be my favorite Grouse & Woodcock gun, and does one heck of a job as a Pheasant and Duck gun also, with the 2nd set of barrels.

tell me about your favorite 16 gauge Grouse & Woodcock gun!

ll the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
ROMAC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Currently it is my Custom upgrade Fox XE, double triggers, ejectors, 28 inch barrels, M/IM chokes, straight grip, neutral cast 15 inch LOP. Sometimes I use RST Spreaders. 16 gauge of course.

Since Fox only made about 79 XE's in 16 gauge according to McIntosh, I went this route. Ironically, and we all know how this goes, not long after I bought this one I was able to find an original. The only one I've ever had the chance to get that wasn't priced like a new car due to condition, but I still like to hunt with this one the best.

It's a great woodcock gun too!

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Not much of a traditionalist, I always use guns that I shoot the best. For me that is either my 16 ga. 1100 or 870.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

ROMAC,

Great Fox XE Grouse Gun, use it as much as you possibly can! Love to own one myself. Fantastic picture of you holding the gun & Grouse.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

[url=https://imgur.com/4KjSlhp] [/url]

[url=https://imgur.com/v3iIEIm] [/url]

An old Brummy boxlock 16. Just got it back from a re-bend (it had somehow lost it's cast-on). Opening day is now less than 90 days away for me, but only if the flooding up there subsides by then.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

My Flues has been my favorite Grouse getter, but it is retired, for now. It is nothing special to look at, just a Grade 1-1/2, choked open & full with 26” barrels. Someday I hope to find a sidelock (thinking about an Elsie) that handles the same or better, and I hope that I can return the Flues to the field to compare. I had to add about a 5/8” recoil pad to get it to fit me, which had the added benefit of reducing what recoil there was to nil. It flies to my shoulder and moves with me in a way that I have not yet found an equal. I’ve had to replace the springs after one snapped and I made a tang screw to replace a broken one. I also have had a new stock & splinter roughed out for it in beautiful figured wood. Something in the release lever is not right, and I’m worried that it will break apart if I keep using it. I intended to have it fixed but when I bought the Citori for a fast approaching grouse season, I decided to hold off. And then came new house bills, and college bills, etc so I stayed with the Citori.

The Citori is close, and I prefer the reliability as well as the ability to shoot modern loads. But nothing really fells as good in the hands as the Flues, not even other Flues’ I’ve tried. And somehow I’ve made some incredible shots with it. So it waits in the locker until I have the time & money to do it right.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:13 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Great old guns, and thanks for participating in the thread!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am  Reply with quote

Citori16,

Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:33 am  Reply with quote

I have not been able to get any of my preferred hosting sites to work, but I’m nursing a messed up shoulder today so maybe I’ll work on pics.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rattle-can camoed 12ga 870 Express tossing a 1 1/2oz load of 6s.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
waggo71
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

1952 Winchester model 12 (16G) 24" barrel cyl bore. Federal Hi-Power #6. Not surprisingly also my favorite rabbit gun.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have several "fair weather" guns, but the one I use pretty much exclusively is a 16 ga Citori Superlight Feather. It's taken a bit of a beating over the years and has it's share of dings and scratches in the wood from shoving brush out of the way, banging into trees, rocks, etc., but it gets used for everything except waterfowl.

I really need to take a safe tour and remind myself what I have in there...
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:

EWWWWW!
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Do NOT have one, no grouse in Texas

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

double vision wrote:
Upland Carpenter wrote:

EWWWWW!

Purty is as purty does. Perfect tool to hang out the truck window when limb-swatting or ground-sluicing the Forrest Gump of the uplands.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh