16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Steel Target Ammo & Chokes
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Playing around with a couple steel recipes destined for target use. Reading on line about how shooting smaller steel pellets doesn't play by the same rules of thumb as larger sizes >#2 = no tighter than Mod & patterns tighter than lead. Reading that the smaller stuff (#8-#6) is being shot through tighter chokes and patterns similar to lead.

Curious to hear if anyone here is shooting smaller (#8 & #7) steel pellets and how they are performing on clay targets.

Any info appreciated, thanks

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:42 am  Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you. I am interested, and would like to know which 16 gauge shotguns can handle steel shot through a full choke? What clay target game are you shooting?

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I loaded steel for waterfowl a lot in the early 2000s, before commercial ammo became consistent, more affordable and equaled the performance of my home rolled loads.

I was shooting a Beretta A390 (notoriously small bores) and my go to choke was a Briley extended IC.

One thing I noted was that anything over 1500 fps did not pattern well, 1400 seemed the magic number.

Also, I loaded #3 steel for everything... smaller sizes patterned the best. But, #3 would take down even swans and geese effectively.

And, 35 yards was the conscious limit... longer shots could be taken, but generally produced cripples.

Good luck,
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you 3drahthaars, I also load for Waterfowl #3-#F but looking to fiddle with target ammo in the #8-#6 size range.

Not building to one specific game although prefer SC, 5 Stand both low gun, Trap pre-mount & Skeet low gun in that order. Shooting by and large O/U's, I generally load target ammo with short 15-30yrds and long 25-45yrds ranges in mind. In lead my go to is 23gr of reclaimed short and either 7/8oz #8 or 1oz #7.5 depending on season/temp for long.

Seeing online the popular load seems to be #7 steel in around the 1300-1350fps mark. The plan is to work toward 5/8oz #8 (BPI) ~360 pellets for the short stuff and 7/8oz #7 ~360pellets for long.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Mike , we have had a couple guys who shot skeet with the target loads - no worries - open chokes .... I would think trap is a little sketchier going with tighter chokes . If you are fast shooter , should be OK . If we can break traps with 1/2ozers , should be able to get enough out of steel . Say mods !!

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I think once the load is verified the 5/8oz short stuff should work well. There is a Lyman 7/8oz Ched steel load on the spread sheets that fits the FPS range and does load up great with no issues. I'll be sending both in testing soon. Aside, will also (finally have some time to) be sending in my version of your 1 3/8oz Bis load as well. Certainly will share results when available.

Regarding the steel stuff, I'm thinking all those very small pellets and extra thick wad walls should be able to work though chokes tighter than Mod. But may result in blown patterns...

Interesting #7 steel youtube demo. Although I can't see the birds or breaks in it, I think we can trust that they are telling the truth when he does hit them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl1DLfzOzk8