16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Counting down!
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Less than 60 days to go before grouse season opens. Screaming hot here today but... it won't be very long now. Got my Brummy 16 back from a fresh re-bend & organized all my proper 2 1/2-inch (stockpiled, thankfully) 16-bore loads for the season to come. This year, sadly, will not be like years past in that our property up there is still flooded. The neighbors on both sides are sandbagged and still pumping, and our home there has water lapping at the 2nd stairs on the deck. Not sure what we'll find when we get there (when the water finally does go down, which they're now saying won't be until late August/early September). I've little hope for the outbuildings and am quite concerned about the main house sitting in all that water for so-long (3-months now), but...it's long been out of our hands now. If it's moldy it will be a total loss. Sure hope that doesn't happen.

[url=https://imgur.com/fEV9V0u] [/url]

Last May

[url=https://imgur.com/d6a8ViT] [/url]

Last September (better times).

[url=https://imgur.com/WVqH2Tb] [/url]

Getting my truck to higher ground.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Where are you located and what’s causing the flooding?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy,

We had a lot of rain here in Potter County, Pa this last year and I can fully understand his water problem. I hope he is lucky and the water drys up and he has no real mold problem. I was lucky have none even though we had a heck of a lot of rain that seemed to keep on coming. Pine Creek was at flood stage for a very long time, now however it is low helping to dry everything out. I am hoping for a better Grouse and Woodcock season this year.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Lake of the Woods County, Minnesota. The Canadians control the level of the lake with dams in Kenora, Ontario. This wet and late Spring got away from them.

[url=https://imgur.com/JY9nKlW] [/url]
In better times there.

Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:41 am  Reply with quote

I am counting the days as well!

I have recently tried some new load recipes and have been doing a lot of patterning & chrony work. The area I hunt appears to have had a decent brood season so far, though last year the population was down, so fingers crossed. Trying out some new boots which will hopefully work well for both long hikes on logging roads as well as forays through the thicker covers like alders & newer cuts. My son will be joining me for the first time in 10+ years, we normally duck hunt together but he will actually be able to take some time for the grouse opener. Gave him my packing list to start checking off items he needs to buy. Very much looking forward to this season as the next two will probably be complicated by my work schedule.

I hope your flooding issues subside, or at least work in your favor by concentrating birds.

probie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Unfortunately.....been there, done that, so i know what you're talking about. Good luck....
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

I am counting the days till the opening of Grouse & Woodcock season here in Pa also. We do not get to hunt Grouse until mid October here, and now have a shortened Grouse season that ends just before Christmas, taking away the best part of our traditional Grouse hunting time.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave: I used to love hunting grouse over Christmas there, so that is indeed a big loss. I take every year as it comes anymore and accordingly... I try to be grateful for each opportunity to pick up a fine gun and get out into the woods. I've had years where I never even made it out once (mostly because of work) but it didn't mean I wasn't thinking about it. This year is a big unknown for several reasons, but I get excited thinking about it anyway. With apologies to Havilah Babcock, but my health is always better in September anymore, with October and November following right along behind it.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:57 am  Reply with quote

They finally moved the woodcock opener in Michigan back to September 15th to match the grouse opener. So I will be able to reward my young dogs hard work if he points a woodcock early in the year. Last year I had some tough surgery and I only spent a couple of weeks at the cottage vs the five weeks I typically spend. So I am looking forward to working the young dog for longer and more frequent hunts.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I definitely understand your thinking, I spend months at my log cabin Grouse & Woodcock hunting with pheasant mostly after Christmas. They left the Pheasant season run clear into February and shortened the Grouse season here in Pa.
I hope you get to spend some massive time at your camp and good luck training the new pup!

Lloyd3,
It does stink that the PGC cut the best part of Grouse season, hope you are able to get out in the early part of the season.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Dave: it now seems that it's likely that I will. Buying another home in Pennsylvania shortly will give me a base of operations there for all sorts of activities. Accordingly, I'll be hauling the "tools of the trade" back there with me, one being a custom-built lefty flintlock (that I've been trying to use for several years now) . Lots of challenges to deal with back there, but... lots of opportunities as well.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd -funny how things can turn around ! Our cabin , on a slight side hill , was water on top all fall and the drive was dry . No birds ! This yr looked to be the same and the water spigut turned off - now moderate drought and dry fields ! Didn't hear any woodcocks chirp or Grouse drumming - nada ! Deer everywhere though and apparently 3 Bears - just gonna need a bigger size shot !

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Let me know when you get settled in Pa, you can come and Grouse hunt with us in Potter County when you have time.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

We call it Gods country cause it is.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

A most gracious offer Dave, thank you. We'll have to see what the future has in store for us here (as well as there, in Pennsylvania).

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Would be glad to have you along, let me know what happens with your move.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man