16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bunker Trap.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Was invited to shoot some bunker trap Tuesday eveninIg. I heard it will humble a shooter.
Well I loaded some 7/8's . 7.5 shot bottom barrel 8.5 top. First round was 16. Felt pretty good about that. 2nd round got 19. Missed last shot or would had 20.
I really wouldn't call it bunker trap . They had the trap set at ground level but from their I would call it wobble trap. They just had one trap instead of the five traps under ground level. To my understanding bunker trap has 5 traps under ground level.
Now I don't know much about bunker but I thought the targets was like regular trap and not all different levels. Such as straight aways or fast rising.
I didn't as questions because the club was proud of their added achievement. I'll probably go back couple more times this year but I don't like shooting just to break birds. I like more competitiveness.
Maybe some of you fellows here could enlighten me as to the rules and set--up. Thanks.
top_cat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:56 am  Reply with quote

It's hard to determine from your post what exactly you were shooting. You're right in saying ISSF Trap (bunker or Olympic Trap) is shot from 3 fixed machines in front of each of 5 shooting posts. There are some good descriptions available online.

There was a definition if International Automatic Trap at one time in deference to American trap fields. The machine was set at below ground level just as in a bunker. It was a wobble trap with some major differences. The traverse is 90 degrees as opposed to 45 degrees in Continintal trap. The distance thrown is 68 meters (74 yards) as opposed to 55 yards. The max elevation is 45 degrees.

As it is a wobble trap rather than fixed, the shooter does not get the proper number of lefts, rights and straightaways as defined in the standard bunker programs. Experienced bunker shooters felt they go too many high target compared to the regular bunker programs in addition to random lefts and rights.

I don't think that the Auto Trap program is part of ISSF definition any more.

I suspect that you were shooting a regular Continintal trap set at below ground level.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

I agree that it was a wobble set at ground level . It didn't take long to realize that the highflyers could be achieved easily by quickly jump ahead of the target. The low straight low flying even the angles by staying below and 6 to 8 ft. ahead.
Purple16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot Bunker Trap several different years at Ben Avery Complex north of Phoenix.

It's fast, challenging and fun.

The computer throws targets so that each shooter receives the same targets to shoot at out of 25 targets per round per competitor.

You get two shots at each target if needed. The US Olympic team was practicing while I was there. They always shot two shots. They broke the target then broke a chip. Muscle memory so second shot was instinctual.

I can't remember off hand what speed the targets are thrown but it's in the low 70mph.

They use 28 gram 12ga shells which is just under one ounce.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded 7/8's oz and broke them fine with my 16. The ones I took a second shot and hit I was asked what load I was using. They were very surprised when they seen I was shooting a 16. Then one of the guys said, hey are you the guy I heard about that shoots a 16. That's all I shoot. 2 of the guys their I've met couples years ago that remembered me. Most of the shooters their shoot Coles, Kolars. Kreigoff, kinda high-end shooters.