16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Looking to Purchase 16 gauge 2 3/4" SpredR shells
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

After measuring the Chambers of the 00 Grade L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun that I purchased a few months ago, I find the old Texas gentlemen Special Ordered his 16 gauge 00 gun with 2 3/4" chambers, for his Duck & Pheasant hunting. Most all pre 1913 00 Grade 16 gauge guns were made with 2 9/16" Chambers for 2 1/2" shells, the old gentlemen knew what he wanted for shooting his Texas Pheasant and Ducks and Special Ordered his gun with 2 3/4" Chambers and full & extra full chokes.

I have used the 2 1/2" RST SpredR shells in the old gun and they work exceedingly well. I now want to purchase some 2 3/4" 16 gauge SpredR shells and start using them in the old gun also. I have found all the regular 16 gauge shells I need but the 2 3/4" SpredR shells are a problem to purchase right now.

If you happen to know where I can purchase some 2 3/4" 16 gauge SpredR shells, right now, I would appreciate the info.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Shells for my beautiful old L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

They will be pricey to import (about $40 p/box) but they will fit the bill for you. I think they have spreader loads, not sure.

https://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/game/cartridges/high-pheasant-16

Good Hunting,
Mike
stevesavage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Polywad spreaders have one ounce loads in 2&1/2 inch shells. 2&3/4 shells likely have the same load. I prefer Polywad spreaders for that reason. A good local reloader could most likely load some spreaders for you. BP sells the spreader inserts.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Steve,
I still have a couple cases of 2 1/2" Polywad SpredR's, wish they were still making shells! I am now looking to purchase the 2 3/4" 16 gauge SpredR shells, was hoping not to go back into rolling my own 16 gauge shells.

Chicago,
Your idea is something to consider if I can not purchase the SpredR's at a reasonable cost, here in the states.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

stevesavage wrote:
Polywad spreaders have one ounce loads in 2&1/2 inch shells. 2&3/4 shells likely have the same load. I prefer Polywad spreaders for that reason. A good local reloader could most likely load some spreaders for you. BP sells the spreader inserts.

For 16ga the 2 1/2 polywad spreaders were 7/8 oz and the 2 3/4 polywad spreaders were 1 oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel2,

Correct, Polywad seems not to be making shells any more after the original owners were bought out. Would love to have some more of the the Polywad 16 gauge 2 3/4" SpredR's. Very hard to find now. When available thru Lion Country I payed less money for them than for the RST 2 1/2" 16 gauge SpredR shells. I would purchase a couple cases at a time and get free shipping right to my log cabin front door in the Potter County back woods. I really miss both the availability of the RST & Polywad SpredR shells.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man