16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington SP-16
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

What are these going for a bag of 250 if you can find them?

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
jim18611865
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Someone on this board sold me a bag for $5.
I just used them for testing, I doubt I will ever use them.
1 1/8 oz. is too much for me.

Jim
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:47 am  Reply with quote

I almost use them exclusively with Winchester CF 1 oz loads. The claybuster clones require to much prep work.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Mark Twain
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:52 am  Reply with quote

fourtimes,

The Claybuster 16 gauge clones (CB0078-16 & CB0100-16) are almost perfect clones of the original Winchester WAA-16 wad. They are a perfect match for the Winchester CF hull. I burned a bunch of WSF powder in Winchester CF hulls and those wads for blackbird, pigeon and crows when Winchester first introduced that wad.

The Claybuster 16 ga. clones are also a perfect match for the current Remington 16 gauge hulls, sometimes called RGL on this forum.

All that obturating cup flaring stuff that you are reading/have read is for the Federal, current Winchester/Cheddite, RIO and other straight wall/euro hulls.

fourtimes4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I’ll give them a try. Appreciate the insight!

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Mark Twain
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

They are impossible to find.Current market puts them at $25 a bag.Same thing happened when Winny quit producing AA16 wads.
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Not affiliated with the seller, but check this out.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/945648008

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Mark Twain
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I think I may be rich 😳

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

@ fourtimes4 -- I think some folks get confused hearing about wad fit in straight-walled hulls (uniform wall thickness along their length) vs. tapered-wall hulls (increasing wall thickness down toward the base) and think that all straight-walled hulls are the same, regarding wad diameter fit. Remington SP and RGL hulls, though they are straight-walled, are quite a bit thicker-walled than all the rest of the straight-walled hulls out there (predominantly the so-called Euro hulls). Because the walls are thick, the wads designed to fit the tapered-wall hulls (in 16, particularly the Win-West compression formed hull sometimes called CF hulls, and apparently the Active), work very well in the Remington hulls with their thick walls, and the larger diameter Euro wads fit too tightly for the most part. Hell, some of the loads published in the 16 Ga. Low Pressure Group use the Euro-size 20 gauge wads in Remington hulls!! With some care, that works just fine. Also, the Remington Power Piston family of wads, designed expressly for those thick Remingtons,(if you're going to talk "Remington" you have to work in an "Express" word now and then Cool), work very well in WW-CF hulls -- they are practically interchangable in fit, though one should be a bit circumspect about any direct substitutes of Power Pistons of one type or another with the AA wads. Though a myriad of Power Piston designs were made for 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28, in 16 the only Power Piston wads ever made were the SP16 (more shot capacity) and the R16 (less shot capacity). Both are about the same length overall, but I digress.

By the way, all the straight walled plastic hulls are more correctly referred to as the Reifenhauser type. I think it was a fellow named Reifenhauser who developed the production of shotshell hulls from cut off lengths of extruded plastic tubing in which a basewad of various materials is inserted, (wound paper (Federal), layered paper (old Win-West polyformed), compressed fibre (Remingtion SP) or plastic (all the current Euro-hulls and many Federals and Remingtons of today), over which a thin, drawn sheet metal "head" is rolled and crimped into place to hold the whole works together. The devices that do this are known as Reifenhauser machines. This design is also known as the 3-piece hull -- the most common hulls of today -- practically all current 16 gauge hulls are the Reifenhauser type.

Cheers!
jim18611865
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:55 am  Reply with quote

fourtimes4,

If you want my bag of SP and WAA wads, send me a PM.
I have one bag of each both missing about 10 wads.
I like the Claybuster 7/8 oz. wads.

Jim
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:27 am  Reply with quote

fourtimes4 wrote:
Not affiliated with the seller, but check this out.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/945648008

3500 wads with a starting bid of $84. Potentially a good deal for someone in need of SP16s.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:48 am  Reply with quote

This site is such a wealth of knowledge pertaining to 16 gauge. I reloaded metallic rounds long before Shotshell. My perception of Shotshell reloading was skewed due to my teenage experience. Had a buddy who’s dad had set up a MEC to pump out as many 20 ga. as we needed for that days dove hunt. As the variety of 16 ga dwindled I began collecting data and equipment. First hurdle the hull identification and I was shocked at how quick things became complicated. I soon joined this site and began a series of newbie questions. The first lesson was about the infamous Winchester CF hulls and I am thankful I did. Soon after that I walked into a LGS that had purchased some discontinued 16 ga ammo. I purchased all 7 flats 4 of the CF and 3 of a winchester shell with a silver 8 mm head. These I knew nothing about but after some research they were referred to as Reifenhauser hulls. I thought it was the type of plastic used because it was different from the CF hulls by having ribs. They were also different from the SuperX that were currently being sold.

As far as wads fitting hulls properly and all the conversations and the possibilities of misidentified hulls. I took the approach of cross cutting said hull in the area of where the wad cup would rest on the powder. I then placed the wad in the hull to see if the
fit was going to seal or not. Any and all information on this site has been a blessing. Friends that reload 12, 20 gauge fine tune their loads with ease. Reloading 16 gauge feels like the wrecking yard of reloading. Putting loads together with what parts are available and not with what you would like to use.
Hat Tip

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Mark Twain
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:11 am  Reply with quote

IF we can ever get all the components again, there are plenty of options for the 16 gauge. It really isn't any more complicated than any other gauge.

Hull, primer, powder, wad, shot, crimp.

There are 3 basic hulls currently available. The Remington RGL, Federal w/paper basewad and all the rest. I don't include the Winchester CF hulls, because that design was discontinuesd in the late 1990's. Same with the Activ hulls.

Wads, 2 Claybusters, 1 Remington, 2 Gualandi, 3 Bascheri & Pellagri and various card and fiber wads. And maybe if DownRange can get their crap together the DR-16.

More than enough stuff to get the job done, from 1/2 oz. up through 1 3/8 oz. lead. Then there are Bismuth, steel and TSS loads.

fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Components are tough right now. That gunbroker ad I sent link on I purchased 14 bags of the SP-16 for less than 10 bucks a bag. Then they posted another ad right after that. They are a skeet and trap business that apparently getting rid of their inventory.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Mark Twain
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Reloading 16 gauge feels like the wrecking yard of reloading. Putting loads together with what parts are available and not with what you would like to use.

Great analogy and so true. But wrecking yards can be invaluable when you need something urgently. We got our Lab Chester from one! Incredible hunting dog / family dog / watch dog & loyal companion, as all Lab owners would appreciate.

B.