16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting 2022-2023
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Stupid? It does happen, but bear in mind that I hunt places where they flush at 50 yards far more often than anyone would expect and others where blues are every bit as hard to get a shot at as ruffed grouse back east. A little hunting pressure can wise them up of course, but I have found them difficult to approach miles into designated wilderness. I suppose if everybody knew they can be like that, popularity would bring swarms of hunters...

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

The ones I was used to seeing apparently didn't worry too much about people. They would just stand there while you shot at them, and patiently waited for you to shoot again if you missed.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Its the same old story of Canada Grouse and Pa Grouse. With the big pressure of Predators here in Pa, our birds are a lot more spooky and much more sporting to hunt.
The Canada Grouse is usually unpressured and the predators are usually the Ground Type and the Grouse simply take safety in the trees, rather than flying for any great distance. The birds are simply a product of their environment, not as spooky where less predator pressures exists. Canada is a great place to initially train a Grouse dog, Pa is were the dog becomes more refined on the same birds that have become moore spooky. My brother has done it for generations with his Grouse dogs, no matter the breed line.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

This one has been shadowing us this season. Their numbers have been up lately in Western WA. Neighbors bagged one last weekend. Gotta stay alert!
B.

salish
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
This one has been shadowing us this season. Their numbers have been up lately in Western WA. Neighbors bagged one last weekend. Gotta stay alert!
B.

Nothing quite like seeing a cougar in the wild. I used to see them occasionally in the Hancock Tree Farm, near North Bend.
BWW
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70376_600x400/] [/URL]

Nice day afield.

Bob
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 am  Reply with quote

BWW,

Congrats on a nice Rooster, good picture of you and your dog in the field also!

all the best,

Pine creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Went up to my sons Wednesday . Woodcock was closed but grouse was open. We had some nice cover to hunt and flew 5 grouse I had a shot at one and missed he went 2 for 4. We saw no woodcock which was surprising since they are still around my house in southern Vermont in numbers.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70381_600x400/] [/URL]
win7stw
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

A few pics from this season

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

My 19 mo. old setter Nigel had his first solo wild covey point Saturday. Chukars were 15 yds in front of him in this photo. I was so intent on watching him that I whiffed when they flushed. Oh well. He had been pointing planted birds no problem earlier this year, but it took him a while to figure out the wild bird situation after a bunch of hunts with no points, just running around and chasing tweetie birds. I let him do that, and just tried to be patient. The light is turning on now, and he's pointing more regularly. My last setter was a started dog, so I didn't know what to expect. So fun to watch him turn into a bird dog, and be so instrumental in his development. I feel like we're becoming a team:

Also re-worked my Husky 36 again, this time to put a portrait of Nigel on it. I raised the comb 1/4" and also added an antiqued [new] leather pad. I took it out for a duck hunt Friday, and will be chasing chukars with it soon:

These were flushed, rather than pointed birds from a few weeks ago. My Dickinson 16 is a great chukar gun, except for not having a sling.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Congrats to everybody who was out and got some birds, I was out again today, had about 5" of very heavy snow on the ground and in the trees, and it began raining again. A seriously messy day in the Grouse woods, most all the Grouse were in the trees, and no Woodcock on the mountain today. Moved 4 Grouse from the big Hemlock trees with absolutely no possibility for shots. Suppose to get some more of this heavy wet snow tomorrow, my legs are very sore, so I may not go out tomorrow. Getting old sucks.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:16 am  Reply with quote

My grouse season is pretty much done in the UP, with over a foot of snow on the ground now and another 10-24" coming in the next day or so. By the time the season opens again after deer season there could/likely be 3 feet on the ground...
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:47 am  Reply with quote

you KNOW you are a die hard when you try to turn and shoot a flushing Grouse on Modified Michigans !!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

I believe I qualify as a die hard Grouse hunter, had about 6" of snow here to hunt in, melting now. Usually when we get snow here in our Potter County, Pa mountains it does not melt away until spring. Beautiful in the Grouse woods today but very slippery.
Could not get with in gun range today, moved 6 Grouse and one Woodcock without getting a shot. Still no Grouse on the ground, every bird we saw was in the big Hemlock trees. The rainy/snowy weather has the birds in the trees, and the creeks are at flood stage, so no crossing them with normal upland hunting boots.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Emtymag
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Our group shot some deer in Montana. We went 4 outta 6 and 4 of the guys had never done a western hunt. Had some very muddy conditions making getting around almost impossible for the first 3 days.

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70408_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70409_600x400/] [/URL]

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70410_600x400/] [/URL]