16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Boss Shotshells for Waterfowl
salish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I just ordered a case of Boss non-toxic shells in #6 for upland birds, but I think I'd like to try 16ga for waterfowl, also. I have two old pumps in 16ga with full chokes. Boss sells #3 in 16ga. I guess this question is for you duck hunters out there, will #3 pellet size be large enough for ducks at moderate ranges? I'll either be jump shooting them or shooting over dekes in back eddies in the Columbia River and/or smaller ponds in Washington state.

Thank you,
Cliff
David Spear
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yes
ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Heck Yeah!

Anybody over 50 remembers killing ducks aplenty with lead 4's, 5's, 6's even 7.5's.

3's may not give the densest patterns but they should work just fine.
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

You should have no problems. I have used Boss the last few seasons, #3 & #5 in 16 ga. They pattern nicely and my last few duck hunts in January my son and I smacked some fat Black ducks for a couple days in a small swamp hole. The ones I hit with Boss dropped dead with #3’s @ 20 to 30 yds.

This year I’ll be trying the combo 3+5 load, and bought some 7’s for those woodcock alders that have woodies occasionally (close range only). That is in addition to some Bismuth spreader reloads I’ve come up with for pass-shooting woodies.

BWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I used #5's on a couple of green heads while pheasant hunting and jump shot a couple.

Bob
salish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all. Citori 16, I was looking at those #3/5's, also. Since I first posted this message I found some additional non-tox I bought from a guy last season, but I had forgotten about it because I didn't hunt ducks last year. That would be 2 boxes of Heavy Bismuth is #2 and 2 boxes of same in #4. so I'm pretty well set but I'll buy a couple of boxes of the Boss #3 just to have all bases covered. Appreciate everyone's help.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Were I you I would include a box of #7s for use on cripples.

I like the shot that Boss uses. I have used boss bismuth #7s in reloads on pheasants; they were very effective.

I have also used Boss #5s in reloads, but have not shot enough of them to know.

My unscientific examination of their pellets showed me they had good uniformity of shape, consistent hardness

Their shells are at the high end of SAMI standards. I have Boss Shot-shells in my truck box in case I need them for a non-toxic only area, but have not used their loadings much as I only have two guns I feel comfortable pushing that far.
salish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:

I like the shot that Boss uses. I have used boss bismuth #7s in reloads on pheasants; they were very effective.

My unscientific examination of their pellets showed me they had good uniformity of shape, consistent hardness

Their shells are at the high end of SAMI standards. I have Boss Shot-shells in my truck box in case I need them for a non-toxic only area, but have not used their loadings much as I only have two guns I feel comfortable pushing that far.

Thanks OC-2. When I traded emails with the guys at Boss about what size shot I should use for quail they suggested #6. I normally use lead #7.5 for valley quail here in Washington state, and lead #6 for chukar. I'm hoping I can use the Boss 6 for chukar, also. The shots will be a little longer. I may opt for some Boss #7 for cripples as you say, but at closer ranges it might be better for quail. Thanks.
1stgun
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have taken a few specklebelly geese with Boss #3's. Very Happy

That having been said, I have missed a few specklebelly geese with the same load. Embarassed

Regards,
Chuck

salish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

1stgun wrote:
I have taken a few specklebelly geese with Boss #3's. Very Happy

That having been said, I have missed a few specklebelly geese with the same load. Embarassed

Regards,
Chuck

Thanks Chuck.
silverbowff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:38 am  Reply with quote

BOSS 16 ga #5 @ 1350fps will kill ducks at 35-40 yds, pheasants too.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
salish
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:05 am  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:

silverbowff, thank you.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:

I wasn't aware Boss was selling loose shot. Nothing on their website that I can find. Is this something they offer only via phone?

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:

My go to load for ducks. Hits them like the hammer of Thor!
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Old colonel2 wrote:

I wasn't aware Boss was selling loose shot. Nothing on their website that I can find. Is this something they offer only via phone?

Normally they do not sell shot, I was able to purchase some from them several years ago in the spring after all hunting season demand for shells was done. I forget what I paid, but recall it was significantly higher than getting bismuth from precision or bpi