16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Super Crown Crimper
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Anyone using one of these from BPI or used them previously? Also has anyone tried to retrofit it to another press other than a MEC?

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I use one and it works very well. I’ve only used it on a Mec 600 Jr.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I had one and didn't care for it. The gaep pre crimp tool is much better and makes nicer folds. It will work but there is better.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Works best w/unskived(new) hulls.Don't forget to order the longer acc. if ordering for a MEC progressive.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I use mine on new hulls as well as reloads that were pre-crimped using it when new. One trick I found is to remove the spring and set your height with washers. I also found that you don’t need to close the hull mouth as much to get a good crimp, depending on the hull & load, etc.

It’s not my favorite, but in certain situations it outperforms the plastic spindex and/or the old metal MEC.

Eventually I want to get my hands on a Gaep.

fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry I meant to post in the reloading group, but that’s what happens with fat fingers and tiny phone screens.

New hulls is precisely why I asked the question, but I use a 366 & PW 800. I thought about modifying the precrimp to make it work, but if they didn’t work well I didn’t want to spend anytime on that. The plastic precrimp on the Hornady 366 does a terrible job on new hulls. The PW has a steel precrimp similar to BPI one and does better than the 366 but I think it could be better.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Just my opinion and experience.

The MEC Spindex Crimp starters have worked on new Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls as well as on Remington green once fired slug hulls.

I have used it on Sizemasters and 9000G machines. I have done well over 1000 loads in total, using hulls that have no fold crimp on them.

The critical part of crimping a new unfired hull is much more reliant on proper wad column heights and proper crimp adjustments, than what the crimp starter looks like.

Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:
I use mine on new hulls as well as reloads that were pre-crimped using it when new. One trick I found is to remove the spring and set your height with washers. I also found that you don’t need to close the hull mouth as much to get a good crimp, depending on the hull & load, etc.

It’s not my favorite, but in certain situations it outperforms the plastic spindex and/or the old metal MEC.

Eventually I want to get my hands on a Gaep.

I should have been clearer, I did not mean to imply that I use mine on all my new hulls. It really depends on the load, as I have gotten good crimps with all the pre-crimpers I have on new hulls, with the exception of Activ. I may have needed to fuss with the others more, but when the pile of discarded loads grows and you get success with a certain combination it tends to stick.

So, in summary, it works well in certain situations, but is not as user friendly as others I have. It’s an option that’s nice to have, but it’s no miracle worker.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:
[quote=" success with a certain combination it tends to stick.

miracle worker.

If you invest in gaep products it will be just that- miracle worker, you speak of then you won't have to have several different tools.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Somewhere I had seen a post that told how to get the 16 ga Gaep crimp-starter, but I can’t find it now. If anyone knows how to get one, please post.

RGuill, one & done would be nice, but I do enjoy testing out new equipment or techniques. It’s kind of in my DNA, being a former test tech (electrical, not ballistics). Plus, I like options.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

BP lists all gauges, $90+

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16 wrote:
Somewhere I had seen a post that told how to get the 16 ga Gaep crimp-starter, but I can’t find it now. If anyone knows how to get one, please post.

RGuill, one & done would be nice, but I do enjoy testing out new equipment or techniques. It’s kind of in my DNA, being a former test tech (electrical, not ballistics). Plus, I like options.

Charles at gaep: gaep61@gmail.com

Keep in mind his English is not his first language, but he will get you hooked up. If you have any problems let me know. Just seen the above post. You can do either if BP has. With shipping it might be a little cheaper from Charles. I haven't ordered anything in a couple months. Last was like 82 bucks. It takes about 3 days unless the carrier screws up.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I've always wondered if those BPI crimp starters poke your fingers every time you get a finger near them...

bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Much ado about nothing IMHO standard Mec works for me if the load is stacked correctly and the press is set up for the load.
Citori16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I've always wondered if those BPI crimp starters poke your fingers every time you get a finger near them...

Actually, they do. Another reason why they are not my favorite. You could seriously wound yourself when you pull the lever if your finger is not out of the way.