16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New presses
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:39 am  Reply with quote

I have been searching for a Pacific DL266 in 16 gauge for a good long while and one has finally come in great condition and almost as new so am a very happy man…. As is often the case another reloader in 16ga came up at the same time so I have also ended up with a new (old stock) Ponsness Warren 375c. It has never been out the box and the bottles etc were still in the original packaging with leaflets inside. There is only one shell holder so the question is will this do for all case lengths? I have cases in 2 1/2”, 2 5/8” and 2 3/4” (for metric readers this equates to 65mm, 67mm and 70mm).
Also the metal crimp starter is 8 point. Are 6 point available? I have a PW metal 6 point in 12ga so can that be used?
Regards
Graham
win7stw
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Parts are still available. Give them a call, they are great to work with. I had to order an extra sizing die and I had a machinist shorten it for me. I believe they will shorten the dies for you if you request it

grahamshewell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks
I will get the machine out the box today and mount it to the bench.
I guess the sizing die will be 2 3/4” and looking on Ponsness site it seems they are selling the 6 point precrimp as a 12/16 so the 12ga one I have should work fine
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Investigated the 266 online and looks intriguing. It might be well suited for my 16 ga reloading production line process, currently with the 600 JR.

I hit each station repetitively maybe 100-200 times then move to the next station, kind of a ‘least mental effort’ approach. I first size and prime all the fired hulls in bulk, then load the processed hulls later as needed for whatever event or outing is happening next.

Question: Will the 266 allow repetitive priming on the primer station alone? That would be nice, as that is a very tedious step with the 600JR.

TIA
B.
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Yes you can continually deprive or reprime to suit yourself
lowgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

This won't work with a PW 375. Once the shell is in the sizing die, you are in for the duration.
lowgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

This won't work with a PW 375. Once the shell is in the sizing die, you are in for the duration.
R J Talley
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience with the PW 375. First, to load 2.5" you will need the special order die. Second, the machine is most likely made for 2.75. I found that purchasing the upgrade to the new taper crimp conversion was way worth it. Shells load far better and eject much smoother. Another hack is to swap the pre crimp die for their adjustable pre crimp. Makes life easier.

as to the 266. I have one of those too and use it for all roll crimped hulls. 2.5 or 2.75 doesn't matter. I find the auto primer feed to be iffy. So, I keep a magnetic bowl next to the crimp station and hand set them. Which is the better machine? I'm not sure. The PW 375 is more consistent thats for sure. Which is faster? The 266.