16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 gauge 525 question
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I've got a chance to buy a new Browning 525, 26" barreled Field model. I have found several reviews on the 525 Sporting model and not very much information on the Field model. Is it built on a 16 or 20 gauge frame? If you own a Field model, what does yours weigh? I read about problems with the trigger on the 16's, and ONLY the 16 gauge 525. The asking price on the gun, which I've handled and given a cursory examination, is $2,599. It feels good. To those of you who own one, what has your experience been with the 525 Field?

Peake
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
I've got a chance to buy a new Browning 525, 26" barreled Field model. I have found several reviews on the 525 Sporting model and not very much information on the Field model. Is it built on a 16 or 20 gauge frame? If you own a Field model, what does yours weigh? I read about problems with the trigger on the 16's, and ONLY the 16 gauge 525. The asking price on the gun, which I've handled and given a cursory examination, is $2,599. It feels good. To those of you who own one, what has your experience been with the 525 Field?

I have a 26" field model from the latest run a couple of years ago. It's not my main shooter, but it's been in the field with me and killed birds. It has a nice feel, and good fit and finish. Haven't weighed it, but would guess around 6-6.5 lbs. Built on a 16 gauge frame. My only complaint is the annoying mid bead. I have not heard about any trigger issues with the latest run of 525s. That price sounds about right for a new one.
Bret
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 am  Reply with quote

I hunt with one quite a bit. Mine has 28-inch barrels. I think the weight above is about right. They are built on a 16 gauge frame. I actually like the mid-rib bead. I don't see it when shooting, but I like it for mounting practice. It's just personal preference, I guess.

I shoot a 12 gauge 525 feather quite a bit too. They are great guns I have had no issues at all.

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 am  Reply with quote

I've got a 525 32" I use basically for trap . I've had it I believe 6 years now. Probably 10,000 rounds through it and never the first problem.16 gauge frame. Of course I give it a good cleaning after every use.

I also have a 325 16 I purchased back in the 80's . 26" that I had brileys make a full length set of 28ga liners. I shot alot of skeet in thoes days.
Put the liners in for skeet and the 16 for sporting clays. Both guns have silver recivers. But the 325 has beautiful wood, prince of Wales stock.
I've pondered of selling the 325 cause I don't shoot much it any more. I do use it on doves and grouse in the UP. But don't get to the UP hardly anymore.
I never had one ff with either one. Bill
win7stw
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I am on my second 525 Sporting, like an idiot I sold the first one I had. I haven't had an issues with it. I do have a 28" 525 Field that has less than 10 rounds through it that I've been thinking about selling if you are interested.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief.
Didn't realize who you were at first. I remember you taught how to make campfires. Now you know what gun I'm talking about.
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

My 28” barreled 525 is just a hair over 7lbs. I’d expect a 26” gun to be right under 7lbs, but they are not lightweight guns. They handle well, point good for most shooters and are nice guns.

As for trigger issues, none here. All of the 16ga citori’s have a ftf issue with the lower pin. It’s well documented here. Mine will ftf Remington game loads at about a 2-5% rate. I have no noticeable issue with feds, wins, fiocchi factory loads or my reloads. Mostly use federal and Winchester primers.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
My 28” barreled 525 is just a hair over 7lbs. I’d expect a 26” gun to be right under 7lbs, but they are not lightweight guns. They handle well, point good for most shooters and are nice guns.

As for trigger issues, none here. All of the 16ga citori’s have a ftf issue with the lower pin. It’s well documented here. Mine will ftf Remington game loads at about a 2-5% rate. I have no noticeable issue with feds, wins, fiocchi factory loads or my reloads. Mostly use federal and Winchester primers.

Not all. Neither of mine never had the first ftf. Not saying it might happen some day. But till then no ftf.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 525 Field with 28" barrels, bought it new in 2010 for somewhere around $2200 I think, so for a new gun your price is not bad at all. It is a true 16 gauge from nose to tail, nothing remotely 12 gauge about it. Made by Miroku in Japan for Browning.

It weighs exactly 7 lbs. I did have the under barrel FTF issue especially with factory RGL's with somewhat deep set primers, which was fixed easily enough. You can find the info I shared in some threads on the Citori FTF subject here on the forum.

Great gun, I shoot it well and it's a very comfortable design to hold and shoot. I've killed a lot of birds with it, but I've preferred to use my Superlight Feather 16 gauge just because at 5 lbs 13 oz, it's more pleasant as a "carry more/shoot less" type of gun.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks NJ for the reply. I would probably have really enjoyed the 525, but as I'm rather conservative and was doing my diligence, someone came into the LGS that had the gun, and bought it. I've no one to blame but myself--but as we all know, there'll be another opportunity somewhere down the line....

win7stw
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I still have a 525 field I’d sell

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
Thanks NJ for the reply. I would probably have really enjoyed the 525, but as I'm rather conservative and was doing my diligence, someone came into the LGS that had the gun, and bought it. I've no one to blame but myself--but as we all know, there'll be another opportunity somewhere down the line....

You’d probably prefer 28” barrels anyway, so keep looking!