16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 11 48
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with them. Sixteen naturally. The ole bones and joints just don't get along with my Ithaca 37s like they used to.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have one. 16 bore and I had the FULL barrel shortened to 25" and now CYLINDER bore. Reasonably light weight, fast repeat shots. I shoot it pretty good as I find Remington factory shotgun stock dimensions fit me well. Super reliable and easy to takedown for cleaning. It just plain works, and they are not too expensive to purchase. I waited a LONG time for a factory IMP CYL model but alas I had the full cut down. I would say go for it.

Darryl

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:41 am  Reply with quote

I've had a bunch through the years but now down to a few, IMO, great field guns, agree with every word in madtrapper143's spot on reply. I ran a similar route when Grouse crazy before the Yote's took over all my favorite haunts shortening a barrel down to an "Upland Special" and call it my Brushhog. I enjoy their, what I refer to as, simplified A5 evolved M11 recoil actions, kinda fun experiencing the clickity clackity printing press'esque event that takes place after you pull the trigger.

Only drawback I know of is parts are getting scarce, but, if you're just using it for hunting and not grinding your way through flats of shells on clay fields it should last a long time with some TLC.

Of note* (assuming you have it or are going to acquire) take it down all the way and clean/oil the action spring and spring housing in the stock, it/they can collect a lot of crud and rust and sometimes make the gun a single shot auto. Also, after cleaning and oiling the gun as usual, the bronze mag tube friction ring usually only needs an occasional dab of light oil, I use sewing machine oil. They're sintered/compressed bronze so carry all the oil they need inside the pores between the grains of bronze. Look for (common) cracks in the wrist area of the butt stock and ends of the forearm, usually not deal kills if small and fixable with some glue and rubber bands.

Numrich is great for posting blow up schematics that aid in dis and reassembly

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/1148

Great guns, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Last edited by putz463 on Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:39 am; edited 2 times in total

jim18611865
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:25 am  Reply with quote

I just shot mine last weekend. I don't love it but I like it very much.
Easy takedown, easy to clean. Recoil not too bad. It is going to be way better than your 37 for sure.

Older club member brought it in because the shop he brought it to wouldn't even take it. They wanted nothing to do with a 16 gauge. $100 and it was mine. Original barrel was cut down because of a hunting accident. There was a second mod barrel 28" plain.
There was still cosmoline on it. It was never fired. Barrel looks new.
The original owner used the short barrel for deer.

Jim
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve owned 3 and currently have 2. I can’t say enough good about them. When my son and his buddies were first shooting we did grind flats of my 7/8 ounce reloads thru them. One of them was my son’s hunting gun for years.
I second the good cleaning recommendations, particularly a good cleaning of the chamber.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve owned 3 and currently have 2. I can’t say enough good about them. When my son and his buddies were first shooting we did grind flats of my 7/8 ounce reloads thru them. One of them was my son’s hunting gun for years.
I second the good cleaning recommendations, particularly a good cleaning of the chamber.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll come across one at a gunshow one day.
fourtrax57
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Was in MT last Month and had bad shooting slump. Finally put away the sxs and went to an old reliable.................. 16 ga 1148, 26" I.C.
It's beat to hell but man did it work well on the sharpies. I started hitting with it and did well.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Cd1RQ8nf] [/url]

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/url]
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:30 am  Reply with quote

Very nice hunt and a serious looking crew there! & a sweet machine to boot; care to share where you obtained that English stock for your 48? Maybe home brewed??

fourtrax57
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Putz
Yep home brewed grip. The remmy is far more
scratched up than pix shows. Due to my wrist configuration
or 7 to 8" wrists etc an english grip is more comfy for me.
It also gives me a quicker mount. Thick wrists / large bones
are not necessarily as flexible as some.
Cut the pistol grip off with a hacksaw. Sanded dkwn
with an or ital sander, followed by steel wool and several coats of tung oil.

It is a hack job but you cannot hurt that gun cosmetically
short of driving over it.

Last edited by fourtrax57 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Looks great! My stock ended up more of POW w/palm swell.

Pertinent thread....

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15375&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I have 2 16's . The Pink Panther and the Red Barron . The Panther is my bird gun . The Barron has shot p pile of skeet targets and keeps on ticking ! Will even chuck 5/8 little target loads . I like those - with the guns age , I just set the loads up to function the gun and not abuse it . That's not to say that I haven't shot a couple Super Mags thru it . Handled them OK , but not enough parts avail to repeat . I also would have no problem shooting , say , 1oz Bizz etc thru them a lot . I've gotten over the heavier stuff!... The gun has to be the same size as an LT20 1100 - even the sts shell catchers fit and work great !

fourtrax57
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have another 16 ga. 1148 purchased from a bbd. member here. It has a cutts compensator on it with two tubes. Tubes are skeet & mod. First shot ever fired bagged a nice Rooster with the skeet tube in. One shot one rooster. What a great break in for a shotgun.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Sportsman 48 which is pretty much the same gun. From the factory it was full choke with a 28” barrel, opened it up to Skeet 2 so I could shoot steel out of it. I haven’t shot it in years but I killed a lot of pheasants and ducks with it.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
The ole bones and joints just don't get along with my Ithaca 37s like they used to.

Probably should have asked at the beginning; is it the shucking of the gun or the recoil that's causing the conflict between your bones, joints and the M37's? I know my 37 is very light, #6.25'ish, compared to my other shotguns and kicks noticeably sharper for this.

Pertinent thread....

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/measured-difference-twixt-gas-and-pump-recoil.1090977/

If recoil, truth be told, the 48' inertia system isn't the softest shooting auto out there. Might have to look toward a modern Sweet16 (heard/read they are a joy to shoot recoil-wise) or other gas guns.