Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
16 ga.

1/2 oz #9 bismuth
1600 fps

Remarkable performance on everything.

Best regards , Nick

Get the velocity north of the magic 1400 fps mark and prepare to be impressed.

Would love to get some examples to load and try!

harkom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:12 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
16 ga.

1/2 oz #9 bismuth
1600 fps

Remarkable performance on everything.

Best regards , Nick

Hmmm. ... ?? Exactly what range are you pass shooting geese with this load?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:35 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
16 ga.
1/2 oz #9 bismuth
1600 fps

Nick has shared this tantalizing idea before....at ~350pellets hits my "in the ballpark" pellet count for a hunting load. If the rule of thumb of ~600fps terminal velocity means anything for such small bismuth pellets, the calculator I use suggests at their #9bis default pellet weight of 0.68g/pellet @1600 muzzle makes it a decent 35y load. Inputting Rotometals #9 pellet weight of 437.5(g/oz) / 558/oz = 0.78g/pellet and stretches lethality to just past 40y.

Again, tantalizing idea....

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/shot-ballistics/shotgunning.html

Pass shooting Honkers might be stretching these shells/pellets limits though, I think it would be a challenge to get a head shot at a bird going 40mph in a 15mph wind at 40+y away with them.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:32 am  Reply with quote

you just have to see Nick DO IT B4 you will believe it . I was lucky enough to spend 8yrs or so Dakota'ing with him and saw it up front . He actually was using 9 lead at the time , and we discovered the RotoMetals thing right at the end . We both got a batch at the low cost end and is mainly what we use now .

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

If I could not hit a goose in a 30 mph wind at a measley 40 yards , I would hang my head in shame and become a School Teacher or the such.

Perhaps take up Opera as a hobby.

Enough said back to my new Fiest puppies and my Air Rifles.

Suppose folks are going to say that I can't kill a limit of squirrels with airguns all shot through the head at 50 yards.

Brother I simply wonder sometimes.

Hello Bill , you should know by now that your not a credible witness , wait a minute all those pictures of deads birds were PHOTOSHOPPED .

Just because you Jane and Mike Campbell retired from Eastman Kodak , hmm , shame on you for deceiving everyone.

Regards, Nick
brent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta admit, I love the internet... Smile
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta check in here.

Nick is the REAL THING
No brag, just performance.

Mike

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Brent,

You might have just opened Pandora's Box.

One small piece of info that no one is telling you, from all accounts, Nick doesn't miss no matter what load is in the shotgun.

You're a new guy here with only 65 posts, you are probably going to be forgiven!!

I hope.

brent
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Brent,

You might have just opened Pandora's Box.

One small piece of info that no one is telling you, from all accounts, Nick doesn't miss no matter what load is in the shotgun.

You're a new guy here with only 65 posts, you are probably going to be forgiven!!

I hope.

I have no clue that there is a human, anywhere on the planet, that never misses.

I'm wondering if such a person wouldn't just settle for a Daisy Red Ryder. Seems like it would be plenty.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Brent do not let anyone kid you , everyone misses , the key is to shoot a little closer to the target.

That said Mike Tyson loads are great for those that can stand a wee bit more of the ole 2"x4" administered at the base of the brain pan.

How many times has it been heard over the years about complaints about recoil ? How many dollars has been spent attempting to tame recoiling shotguns , rifles and handguns ??

Shot that doesn't connect with the target is lost resources and serves little purpose.

Shooting closer to the target wins everytime , shooting a pleasant load that does the job helps facilitate being able to do this sport when one gets old.

Bruised shoulder, face , cheekbone , fingers , knuckles and flinching has no place other than a boxing ring.

I am done.

Back to the squirrel girls and my airguns.

Best regards.

Nick
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Nick,
We can sit down for a friendly chat after you bag a Ruffed Grouse with .22 birdshot. Not that I recommend it, the little stuff gets stuck in your teeth.

Just Sayin’ Wink
B.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Brent do not let anyone kid you , everyone misses , the key is to shoot a little closer to the target.

That said Mike Tyson loads are great for those that can stand a wee bit more of the ole 2"x4" administered at the base of the brain pan.

How many times has it been heard over the years about complaints about recoil ? How many dollars has been spent attempting to tame recoiling shotguns , rifles and handguns ??

Shot that doesn't connect with the target is lost resources and serves little purpose.

Shooting closer to the target wins everytime , shooting a pleasant load that does the job helps facilitate being able to do this sport when one gets old.

Bruised shoulder, face , cheekbone , fingers , knuckles and flinching has no place other than a boxing ring.

I am done.

Back to the squirrel girls and my airguns.

Best regards.

Nick

Hear hear!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:47 am  Reply with quote

B - if there were more Grouse in Missouri , it may be that you just planted an idea in someone's head ! I don't think 22 Bshot has the required velocity ! BUT , if it did ! .... really , you have to be brave enough to try some small stuff , and you'd have to get the load from Nick . ( not many super-sonic loads out there !)The recoil thing is what drove all of this . He got clobbered , I got clobbered - I went to 3/4 lead 25/30yrs ago after blowing my right eye out for the 3rd time . Use it in 12 , 16 , 20 and 5/8 in 28ga . Just watched Parsons go 50 straight Weds and 125 straight Fri with his 28ga . I need to get Craig to try some trap with his 28ga tubes - not sure what chokes he has , but his G-kid is in the kids trap league , so he is somewhat interested . Would be a great trial , but i think the gun/loads would hold up . (he's a pretty good trap shooter too , but just plays for a couple rounds a yr .)

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Nick , only photo cropping I did back in the day was Nancy Lopez and Ray Knight at the Rochester International - even got me some notoriety with the local news ! lasted a couple yrs ! Never really did any bird tricks , I'll have to talk to Mikey C about that though !! (Jane won't say !)

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Brewster:

#12 shot I have no doubt will kill grouse , having kill two spring gobblers with it a few years back ( pictures were posted on this site )

#9's I will stick with simply because they work.

Long list of critters have not complained about it.

Never shot a ruff grouse , always wanted to .

Can't say never shooting one but I would think a turkey or goose would be a bit harder to kill than a grouse , but who knows ??

Few coyotes took dirt naps with those little loads.

Nice thread , too bad can't chat more but two little squirrel terrorist are begging for attention.

Regards , Nick