16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Getting closer always works. Truth be known, out to 35 yards almost any reasonable load and choke combo gets the job done. It all depends on what your circumstances are.

With late season sharptail grouse or Himalayan snowcock I know I am often looking at long shots or nothing. Same for late season huns once the snow gets crunchy and noisy.

However, there are a lot of situations with game birds where mere patience and persistence will cough up a few closer shots. On days I choose my open choked 16 I know I am going to do a little bird watching as wild flushers escape, I don't mind as long as there are enough birds that I can play "cat and mouse" until I get the shots I want. Other days...well other days I play by the rules the birds hand me and go "bigger".

Nick is right about recoil. I have some big guns, but I love using the light stuff when I can. Yesterday it was a delightful 2 1/2" 16 ga. 5/8 oz. load of #6 shot for blue grouse. My shots were inside of 30 yards and the load is such a joy to shoot. When I head to North Dakota...I don't expect that ultralight load luxury quite so often.

Nick is also right about wasted shot. Close shots are vastly easier to connect on. Very, very few shotgunners are accomplished with the 50 yard+ stuff. I enjoy all aspects of this wild bird game: it's the variety that makes it so compelling. But most days, I would rather down roosters at 30 yards, or roll geese that are feet down over the decoys.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I remember a few years back, I was chukar hunting with a Husqvarna full/xfull choked 12ga 310as with 1 1/4oz heavy loads of 6's. I normally shoot 2.5" 1oz 6's out of my 16's, but I had it and thought I'd give it a try just to see what it could do in the uplands. Well, I was stoning going away chukars at 50+ yds, which I've never done before. And big, late season bull chukars can be a tough bird to bring down. I call them chukens. However, I was also missing some 15-20 yd birds due to the very tight chokes.

Anyway, the post above is spot on. Each gun and load has its purpose, and inside 35 yds, almost anything will work. Even so, you don't try to hit a 300 yd golf shot with a 9 iron, or putt with a driver. We all know this, but maybe it bears repeating.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

UDF- you got that analogy 1/2 right ... you can't hit a 300yd shot with a 9 iron , but you CAN putt with a Driver !!