16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My Grouse Hunting Buddy Gunny Bowman moves upstairs
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:42 am  Reply with quote

AM,

Those are very similar works I used when talking with Gunnys beautiful Japaneese wife, I do think they were comforting. They had a great life together, he made sure she had the freedom she always wanted, and they traveled extensively both in the USA and around the world. He always arranged their travel schedule to be in Potter/Tioga, Pa on the 15th of October when he could, we enjoyed Gouse & Woodcock hunting together very much, he gifted me one of his incredible Weimar pups. On his last trip to the log cabin he brought me his Thompson Condendor, I knew at that time, he had little time left on the earth. The .223 Contendor it was his favorite Turkey gun. His wife called me the day he moved upstairs, she wanted to make sure I understood how much my friendship meant to him. I explained to her that it went both ways. Our Grouse Camp has grown smaller and smaller over the years, Gunny knew he always had place here at the log cabin, no matter what. In fact he had his own key to the log cabin. Gunny referred to the key as his key to heaven on earth, I feel the exact same way.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

My condolences for your loss. We both know that a good man such as Gunny goes on to where the dogs never grow old and the aches are gone, but we miss them dearly when they leave.

I grew up being friends with men who were 40 years older than I was. These men were mentors as well as friends and I had far more friends in this age bracket than my own. The hard part is that I started saying goodbye to my friends at a very young age. All but a few have moved upstairs now. Our old snow goose and crane camp is now gone. I miss the men and the gatherings greatly. I am pleased that you still do have a grouse camp and some friends who gather there. May God bless you and this small circle of friends...for years to come.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Like you I was taught by men from a different era, and I miss them badly. I am a throw back to their way of life as Gunny was. Also thanks very much for the nice things you said about our Grouse Camp. Like you I strongly believe in a life ever after, granted to us by God thru his son Jesus Christ.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:22 am  Reply with quote

Dave, Sorry to hear that always tough losing a friend especially with what you two did together. I'm sure he's up there with your other 2 and 4 legged buddies looking down on you. If its that way when I pass and I can see my friends and pet my dogs again Ill be good with that.

Regards , Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thanks again for all the nice words, you all have been very nice to me in this trying situation. I moved Gunnies big coffee mug on to the shelf of members moved upstairs just recently, there are 8 coffee cups on that top shelf now. I have been lucky because over half of the mugs belonged to men younger than myself. God gave me a reprieve with my Agent Orange open heart surgery, and I greatly appreciate the time with my family. Although I move a lot slower these days I am still in the Grouse woods with my dog. Opening day I took two nice Grouse and missed two beautiful Woodcock, Gunny would have approve. I only wish he and his incredible Weimar dogs had been there with me. I do know they were watching from above.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

A nice picture of a Setter with his birds, not mine I forgot my camera opening day this year, Shadow is a Gordon pup!

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Dave so sorry for your loss , would love to hear of a Grouse hunt with you and wyochucher and soggy socks , I believe in meeting up with my long gone hunting partners and there dogs and one day Dave you can show me the ropes in the Grouse woods .
Our plan here is to get into the woods next Saturday ,
Keep hunting Dave always good to hear of your adventures with your great dogs and guns .
Best wishes from NI
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:01 am  Reply with quote

WJ,

Thanks for the kind words, sense I am long retired from the military I doubt I will ever get back to your part of the world, would be real nice to hunt with you for sure!
When we both move up stairs maybe God will allow us to meet and hunt together in his never ending forest!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man