16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Questions on Modifying a Choke
salish
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a Remington Model 11 Sportsman in 16 gauge. My gun has a 30" barrel with a full choke. Initially, I thought I would leave the choke alone and plan on using it for waterfowl, but I hunt a lot more upland than ducks and a modified choke would work better for me than full. A guy who does my shotgun work told me I can achieve the same, or similar results, from a modified choke by using modern waterfowling loads. He says the newer technology in wads and shot cups can extend the range and pattern on a mod choke to where is potentially equals a factory full choke. That makes sense but I don't know that loads like that are available for a 16ga. So far the only waterfowl loads I can find for the 16ga are Boss and Bismuth, and I rarely see Bismuth. Any thoughts on this?

I did locate a used 28"/modified Remington Model 11 16ga barrel, but it's almost as costly as my shotgun. Does anyone know of the Sportsman used the same barrels as a Standard Model 11 16ga gun?

Thank you,
Cliff
Seattle
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:25 am  Reply with quote

I believe my Sportsman uses regular model 11 barrels. Model 11 barrels turn up on eBay fairly reasonable from time to time.
salish
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:37 am  Reply with quote

stevesavage wrote:
I believe my Sportsman uses regular model 11 barrels. Model 11 barrels turn up on eBay fairly reasonable from time to time.

Thanks Steve. If you don't mind me asking, what would you consider a "fairly reasonable price"?
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

$75.00- $150.00. depending on condition. Some are $200.00 and up. Seems too high to me. Couldn’t be a lot of demand for model 11 barrels.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:10 am  Reply with quote

For what it's worth...this "modern waterfowl loads" nonsense is just that. Steel shot ammo has not really changed in 30 years (or more). With the exception of ammo using the Fllte Control wad, the wads are still the same and so are the pellets. That said, steel shot does pattern tighter than lead and a modified choke will produce full choke patterns.

Bismuth? Nothing magic here other than the hype. The truth is, bismuth lives by lead shot rules in terms of pattern performance. Expect modified choke performance from a modified choke, perhaps full choke performance if the load is buffered.

Now if the subject turns to tungsten... yeah that stuff will do amazing things, at a very high price.

Would I go to a mod from a full? Absolutely, especially if steel shot is likely. I did just that with my Rem 870 Special Field 20 ga. when I got it. It's a much more versatile gun now.

salish
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, the particular Model 11 barrel I'm thinking of is quite a bit higher than your numbers. I think it would be cheaper to just have the choke opened up to mod. Appreciate your thoughts.

WyoChukar, thank you for your advice and suggestions. I will pay close attention to what you have said.

Cliff