16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Loading herter hulls
Timn
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Ok I have several thousand 16ga herter hulls that I am starting to reload. What hulls are you guys using. Will be loading 1oz to 1 1/8 oz loads. I have green dot blue dot universal 20/28 powders. My thinking is I can use straight hull load data. Thanks Tim.

Last edited by Timn on Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Herters 16 was a cheddite hull. Hodgdon site has great 1oz load with universal powder. I like 7/8 and 1oz loads. 1 1/8 is for 12ga.

df
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I load them with cheddite hull data. I load mostly one ounce and Unique powder. After about three loadings, the crimps start splitting.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

My best load for trap games is 21gr of 20/28 powder
1oz shot. Average 1248 fps. Flared cb wad plus filler.

Another good load is 16.2 gr. 700x . Flared cb wad, 1oz shot.
If using rem or winchestr hulls then no filler needed.
The 700x is nice soft shooting. Works for me. Bill
Timn
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have plenty sp16 wads would those work?
Timn
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Found data using 21g universal and the sp16 wad in a 1oz load thanks.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Which herters are they? Some are cheddite and some are federal looking At the base wad will answer the question for you. Sp-16 would not be my choice for losing these hulls. Powder migration will likely happen.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

The only Herter's I have seen and reloaded are Cheddite hulls. The current Winchester hull is a Cheddite. Since Hodgdon has more Winchester data than Cheddite data, I would use the Hodgdon data for Winchester Polyformed Plastic Game Shells.

Use the BP/SPTG16 wad rather than the SP16.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:22 am  Reply with quote

Timn wrote:
I have plenty sp16 wads would those work?

Sp 16 will have to much migration of powder. That's why I modify the powder cup on claybuster 16 wad ( clone to the 16 winchester wad. ) Also much cheaper than the European wads.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Yeah SP16's fit a bit loose in the Herter's hulls. With powders like 572 and Longshot leakage past the wad is terrible if you carry shells in your pockets. I'm not sure how serious the problem is with Alliant powders since the flake size is a bit larger, but I would be leery until somebody else here gives it a "yea" or a "nay".

The powder cup on the Claybuster wads is deep and can be flared out to solve the problem. The Rem wads have a very shallow lip that doesn't lend itself to the procedure at all. The SP16 fits best in Rem hills or the old Winchester comp. formed (AA style) hulls. If you use 800-X (now discontinued) the leakage isn't much concern since the stuff is very coarse.

With Green Dot I stick to 3/4 oz. or 7/8 oz. loads. 20/28 will work nicely with 1 oz. and Blue Dot is best suited to 1 1/8 oz. loadings.

ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:40 am  Reply with quote

I load a lot of the old Herters hulls. The case tube seems to be a bit thinner and softer than the primed cheddites I've ordered from some of the suppliers. Doesn't last as long either.
I use the DR-16(luckily I still have 2-3 bags) and International Clays powder for 7/8 oz, SG-16 or Z16 Commander with Universal for 1 oz loads. With 1 1/8 oz I've used 800x and Longshot with the Claybuster wad with a flared cup. More often I use the Cheddite 1632 wad that's no longer imported. I get a bit tighter pattern in my gun with the 1632. Wish someone would start importing that one again.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:23 am  Reply with quote

I have thousands of Herter Cheddite hulls as well. And a bit more than 1K factory Herters to use up yet. Have even more Federal hulls and factory shells. But even more Cheddite hulls mainly new some OF that I reload. They last longer than the Herters I use the Herters in the Viper G2 and Sweet 16 where I don't cry if they eject into the woods or at a shoot where you can't find them again.

Also have a large box of Winchester Cheddite made hulls Mike Campbell graciously sent me this summer for no reason other than we seem to have gone to the same school together, at least in our thoughts.

They are all straight walled hulls. I use DR16 wads for 7/8 oz. but they are pretty much an extinct animal right now and use the 20 ga. when I want to shoot 7/8 oz. anymore.

I do use 1 1/8 oz. for hunting in the 16 ga. but not clay games. Currently have enough factory hunting loads to last a few more years. This winter I will start playing around with 1 1/8 oz. and will be using the BPI Z16 wad.

For 1 oz. and I load and shoot a lot of 1 oz. I use the BPI SG16 wad which is actually a Gualandi wad. It is made for straight walled hulls. They are in stock right now at BPI.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/SG16-Sporting-16ga-wads-250_bag/productinfo/072SG16/

Precision Reloading also sells the Gualandi G2116 16 Ga. Super G Mini Wad which is the same thing and is also in stock currently

[url]https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=TUW&i=G2116[/url]

I would not use the SP16 wad in straight wall hulls for the reasons mentioned already. Or CB for that matter the Gualandi wad is only .4 cents more than the CB wad and for less than half a penny each you don't have to mess around with every one of them. The cost of wads pales in comparison to the cost of lead.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Herters hulls cut down to 2 1/2” with the SG16 are a perfect fit for 7/8 oz loads. For 1 oz use the SG16S with 2 1/2” Herters hulls. No powder migration either because the dimensions of the SG16 are an exact fit with Cheddite/Herters hulls. And the 2 1/2” hulls don’t buckle as much as 2 3/4”.

B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Most of mine have been cut to 2 1/2" as well. They buckle less because the die is long enough to go down over the "brass" and doesn't leave a section of hull unsupported.

SG 16 style wad does work great for 7/8 but I have better luck with the CB for fitting 1 oz. in the shorter hull. The so called "short" version of SG 16 is super for 3/4 oz. and I even use it for 5/8 oz. in 2 1/2" Rems.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Instead of cutting hulls down, I solved the hull crushing issue using a bushing at the final crimp die on my Sizemaster.

The dimensions:

O.D. - !.000"
I.D. - .740"
OAL- .495"
45 degree chamfer - .070" you need the chamfer or the bushing will interfere with the final crimp die.