16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  American Arms 16g O/U ??
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63454351

I know very little about American Arms, and was curious about this gun. Fixed choke, short barrel, so it would have to be pretty nice to be interesting for me.

Wood looks decent for this price range. Anyone know much about these? True 16ga frame?
k24556
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Just a guess, but before Beretta bought Franchi, they were imported by American Arms in Kansas City Mo. I have a Franchi 48AL that I bought in 1996 that says American Arms on it.
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Chilly,

I have an American Arms Silver I in 28ga. The only difference between the two models is the Silver II has ejectors. I believe my gun was made by Angelo Zoli. It has a Zoli recoil pad and I saw a Zoli at a gun show which was absolutely identical to it. All it says is "Made In Italy" and "Imported by American Arms" on the barrel. The gun has decent wood to metal fit and engraving. The wood is maybe a grade better than "Mother of Toilet Seat" and the checkering is OK but it has a sprayed on gloss poly finish which doesn't look good spayed over the checkering. The gun shoots and functions fine. My biggest complaint would be the machining tolerances between the action and barrel block are very loose. When the action is closed it is on face and very tight, even with the forend off, and the lever is right of center. When the action is open it is very loose and has a lot of play when twisted side to side.

My only other complaint is that the blue book says all 26" guns have IC/M and the 28" are M/F. My chokes measure out to M/F industry norms. I don't have a bore gauge but if they are IC/M the gun has very undersized bores. Nowhere on the gun are the chokes marked. I bought this gun on Gunbroker. The seller advertied it as IC/M and impolitely told me to take a hike when I asked to return it. It has been my only bad internet gun buy and I will NEVER buy another without a 3 day inspection/return period.

I was looking for an inexpensive gun to see if I would like the 28ga. and only paid $400 for it in like new condition. I shoot the gun well. It fullfilled it's purpose and I have since found I like the 28ga. and have bought something much better. The guns are probably worth what the blue book says but don't expect to get lucky and get a Citori or F.A.I.R. quality gun for $600. You won't.

Dennis
chilly460
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I actually found a Silver I in 12ga at a local shop last night. The rib was warped quite a bit but otherwise no surprises beyond what I've heard here.