16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  686 Beretta 16 Gauge?
Jta5er
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

I saw that one except the butt, is well butt ugly (also short) restocking these days is cost prohibitive and takes forever no thanks.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Best I could do:)
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

BWW wrote:
If Beretta came out with a SxSs 16 that did not cost $10 G or motor, I would be a contender.
Hell, less than 5 would be more in my range.

Bob

BWW wrote:
Fausti has my eye right now

Bob

I'm set for 12, 16 and 20 SxS for clays with Dickinson Plantation Sporter's from Pacific Sporting Arms. Truth be told for hunting guns as well but know exactly what I want and have been in the market lately.

30" 16 ga. slim Beavertail, single trigger, English Straight stock. 6-6 1/4 pounds for carry and light target use on occasion.

Have been looking at Fausti for awhile and Joel Etchen has several in that configuration but none in 16 except for splinter\POWxWoodward grip.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/new-guns/fausti/dea-side-by-side

Then on the Fausti website found exactly what I have been looking for. Middle one.

So I emailed them and Barbara Fausti herself replied.
For your information, the model DEA LUXURY SLX is a side by side in the Boutique line.
SxS 16 29" (cm 73,5) 6.20 lbs (2.81 kg) apx $16.350,00

YIKES $16.350,00. Not sure what she is drinking but make mine a double!

Looked at RFM but by the time add all the options you are in the B. Rizzini category. And they are non selective single trigger. My clay SxS guns are non selective ST and fine with that, hunting not so much.

I have 3 FAIR Isides and I shoot them very well. 30" DT, 28" DT, and 28" ST. 2 of them with my 16 ga. Plantation Sporter before hunting season. In a 6 pound gun I only shoot 7/8 oz. for clays.

The Double Triggers are going down the road. This morning I finalized a custom order Iside with IFG.

Iside Prestige Tartaruga Gold De Luxe

30" barrels in a 16 ga.
Semi beavertail forend
straight english stock
D+ wood (grade below exhibition)
single trigger
ejectors
long tang
single line checkering instead of basket weave\double skip
Oil finish instead of gloss
manual safety

He said 5-6 months we will see. Certainly should have it in time for next hunting season.

Have also been talking to B. Rizzini about a custom order in the same configuration but a 16\20 combo. Next June when I turn 65 I have to move some investments and retirement funds around. I'll likely take some money from the investments (depending how much in the tank they are or aren't) and order it then as my retirement gun. Will likely take a year and a half to 2 years to come in.

I can't make up my mind as to the BR550 Round Body

Or BR552 sideplates which I feel show off the hand chased engraving better

Either one would work well for hunting but there is something about that round body for carry and hunting that I like. Not sure yet.
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Came across a 16 o/u French origin take off of a Rem 3200 action .Damon Petrick manufacture looks like a neat gun anyone heard or seen such a beast new to me ? Solid rib and not bad lines but only seen on line not handled but it looks trim.
BWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

I got an Iside 16 SxS Tantagura gold, which I guess is the old model now because it is not a Prestige with the "side plates". The side plates on that gun look super!
Love the weight compared to my CZ
I had to get used to the Iside because it was lighter and I was swinging it faster.
I will really have to have the "I wants" to purchase an expensive gun at my age and conservative spending habits. I just like nice shotguns!

Bob
BWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,
I too inquired to Fausti about a gun before I bought the Iside.
I gave some specs but not a super duper model.
I got an email from Barbara Fausti and the price was around $8,000.
That was about a year ago.

Bob
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting Beretta gun on gunbroker.

Not sure if the price is in line with a side-plated boxlock in that well used condition.

Unfortunately the listing did not include a good many details and some that are included are in error, I.e. weight 12lbs? Not clear if it has a very thick hard rubber pad or plastic stock extension

So many online listings miss basic stuff like chamber length, chokes, length of pull, drops, etc. no detail on condition of bores
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Nice to have such an abundance of choices for 16 ga double guns, all attractive in their own way.

A 16 ga Beretta is definitely missing from the array, and from my cabinet for that matter. A 686 12 ga is as solid and well balanced a shooter as I’ve had, and the barrel selector is vastly super to the Citori. The same in 16 ga would be most welcome.

A beautiful little 687 20 ga with engraved side plates and presentation wood is the princess of the cabinet, and like her kind, she has slapped my face and pinched my limbs with relentless cold fury. I don’t know how I offended her so, and I may be beyond my years for such passion. The eager young bucks here may PM me if they wish to seek her acquaintance.

The reference above to Joel Etchen Guns is so heartening. His grandfather, the celebrated shotgun champion Fred Etchen, wrote a remarkable book in 1960 titled How To Be An Expert At Shotgun Shooting which I found so informative on shotgun fundamentals and filled with powerful but subtle facts, that I rate it more helpful than any other text on the topic. He is not totally aligned with shooting orthodoxy (I.e. British school) but is an authority on American style shooting. His treatment of the effect of shot string on moving targets upends traditional thinking.

V/R
B.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 am  Reply with quote

It is a little surprising at this point that Beretta does not make a 16 gauge O/U given its capabilities and worldwide market. Certainly, they could sell some in Europe and South America in addition to the U.S.. They make everything else -- from pistols to full automatic machine guns.

Seems like an opportunity waiting to happen.
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

If you can get them to make a set of 16 ga barrels for my 20 ga 686 frame order one for me.

BadgerDave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

PIOBill wrote:
If you can get them to make a set of 16 ga barrels for my 20 ga 686 frame order one for me.

Impossible to do; they wouldn't fit.

The trend in shotgunning from SxSs to O/Us is an often-overlooked reason for the decline of the 16ga. You can't hang 16ga barrels on a 20ga O/U frame nor can you really make one frame size designed for both gauges.

I've mentioned the 16 ga to a number of Beretta Premium dealers over the past few years; folks who have long established relationships with Beretta. In the words of one of them "to say there's zero chance overstates the odds of it happening."

JMO,
Dave
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Well ... There's always Franchi -- owned by Beretta -- which is making a couple of decent 16 gauge O/Us.