16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Thinking of buying a model 37
Cmaxwell13
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Title says it all, I am considering starting to seek out a model 37 to accompany my wingmasters and o/us. I know a fair amount about wingmasters but nothing about 37s. Just curious if you all would be willing to give me a few pointers to help with my search. Desirable or not desirable years, variants (Forend and stock types) , common troublesome parts on them, etc. for my general upland use I generally would like something in a 26” modified (LM/IM as well) . Not sure what fair prices are on them, seems tougher looking ones on GB are as low as $300 to upwards and over $1,000 or $800 sometimes. I wouldn’t be looking for a museum piece, just a good solid shooter with some character and history.

Thanks in advance for any history and advice you have on the 37s.[/b]
Swampy16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:34 am  Reply with quote

The oldest are the most desirable but you really won’t get a bad one in any year unless it’s been bastardized. Some of the newest ones can be a bit heavier. If I were looking for a 12 gauge I’d look for the oldest I could find but being this is the 16 Society I assume that’s what you’re looking for. I currently have two 12’s and a 16. The 16 is an Ultra FW and weighs 6lbs. You’ll likely never find one though. The Ultra 20’s are too light imo. An older 16 would be about perfect, preferably from the 40’s. They’re pretty light and spectacular guns. Good luck with your search.
df
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:06 am  Reply with quote

The 16 ga recent made ones, I believe made in Ohio, are quite heavy. I would avoid them.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:24 am  Reply with quote

There is so much information about the 37 that a book could be written about them. In fact Walt Snyder did.

Yes they are 16's most of my 37's and guns in general that I own are 16's.

26" are somewhat hard to find but there are good numbers of them out there. The 26" IC are my preferred grouse gun and many others feel the same way. IC will normally measure .008. The couple of Mod I own run ~.011 which is a tight LM in the 16.

Prewar are going to bring the most money no matter which model. My personal preference is before 55. Hand cut checkering, corncob\ringtail forend and light weight without the Raybar bead. Well also it is what I grew up with.

Later they went to stocks with no checkering and heavier beavertail forearms then in the early 70's (IIRC) pressed checkering.

After the move from Ithaca up Cayuga Lake to King Ferry and then eventually to Upper Sandusky Ohio they made limited runs of the 16. Including the Ultralight which still comes in at 6 pounds with vent rib and choke tubes.

What to look for is the same as any older gun. Oil soaked stock heads. You can soak the oil out and refinish them if you are at all handy.

The other things is cracks in the butt stock. After years of the wood drying out you need to make sure the stock bolt is snug. Most never check it and the stock will crack in the same places other guns of that time frame will.

This is an older Remmie but same place to inspect on an Ithaca

Also down around the trigger guard

Some people have taken a pipe wrench to the cap that holds the barrel on and buggered it up. I avoid those as well.

Upper Sandusky has a listing of the serial numbers if you want to find the year of manufacture of a gun that you are looking at. It is also in the back of both of Walt's books.

https://ithacagun.com/serial-numbers/

Hope that helps and good luck in your search!
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 am  Reply with quote

What Cold Iron said with a double down on the ‘40’s early ‘50’s guns. Particularly a 16 of that era is sweet.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1946 with prewar wood and it fits me like a part of my body, too bad I wore it out shooting trap, it just could not handle that much volume.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Cmaxwell13
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Cold iron and all, thank you very much for the info. This is the type of stuff I was looking to learn. I noticed in a quick GB search the multiple forends. I’m not very partial to the corncob style on early AP wingmasters. I have been known to buy ADL forends and put them on the guns I hunt with. But for some reason I like the look of the corncob on the 37. Cold iron your guns are all exquisite. Thank you for sharing. You can never know or learn too much.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:33 am  Reply with quote

I purchased one in search of a layout/kayak repeater that didn't kick the hulls overboard like my beloved 870.

Likes; solid built classic, bottom eject, safety is in a good spot for a right hander.

Dislikes; a little too light #6'ish and OEM dims don't fit me very well, needs more LOP/butt pad.

If I was focused on a walkin' gun this would be worth re-configuring the stocks/fit since it's so light. But I have some O/U's that fit that bill and why mess with this classic when a new to me BPS was the missing piece in my puzzle right out of the box.

BTW; anyone interested in a 37 28" fixed full in decent used not abused shape, PM me for details, will be putting on the block soon.

fullchoke37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking guns. I've been thinking of getting a 37 in 16g as well. I have a 20 and 12 mod 37 and really like them. I have a 1960 Wingmaster 16 that is light and points well but a 37 would be a great addition!
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a couple 16 ga Ithaca 37's that I am moving towards selling. What are you all looking for ?

I don't hit the forum much anymore, so send me a PM.