16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Thoughts on B. Rizzini 16 BR 550/552
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone own or shoot one of these side by sides in 16 gauge?

Thoughts, impressions? What's the difference between them? Ornamental sideplates for the 552 and a more rounded action for the 550?

A modern sxs 16 with adjustable chokes that can handle all the nontoxic shot offerings these days from steel to Bismuth seems increasingly appealing.
df
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a Rizzini BR550, last summer. It’s a two barrel set, 16 and 20 ga, on a 20 ga frame. I’ve not shot it a whole lot, but have shot a couple rounds of clays, a 15 bird limit of doves with each barrel set, and several pheasants with the 16 ga barrel set.
So far, I shoot it well, but not as good as my O/U shotguns. It’s light, 6.1 pounds and the round action is very nice to carry.
My only complaints are the action is pretty stiff when opening. I suppose it will loosen in time with use. And the wood finish is very glossy, not my preferred satin finish. I had the wood butt plate removed and a thin rubber pad professionally installed, not for recoil reduction but I don’t want to sit it down to hard and chip out a chunk of the butt stock.
I like it a lot.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

I will be placing an order ~June for a custom ordered BR552 16\20 combo. Already have a quote from Rizzini USA but have a custom fully optioned Iside coming in around June and am trying to keep only gun in the hopper at a time. The Iside will be my turn 65 gun which happens in June so good timing if delivery is when promised. The custom BR552 will take 1-2 years and be my final retirement gun.

Correct the BR550 is a round body. The BR552 sideplates show off the engraving better IMO and took me hours looking at them to decide. Wish the BR552 was a round body as well but it is what it is. The gun will do light duty for clays but primarily as a hunting gun.

I have 4 B. Rizzini guns now first one was more than 20 years ago. They are all O\U and heavy guns. Which is great for clays. But the SxS BR55X are much lighter and weigh where a hunting gun should IMO. I already have a 7 pound 16 SxS clays gun from Pacific Sporting Arms. Next to my Rizzini Comp 16, I have been using these 2 this winter for 5 stand.

Pretty sure I seen the combo df has at Advanced Arms in Pa. when I was looking for a Rizzini 32" BR110 20 ga. Sporter. Advanced Arms is likely the lowest price on a B. Rizzini IME, I did end up getting my Rizzini 20 ga. Sporter from them.

Gordy and Sons imports a custom BR552 16 ga. with special engraving and exhibition wood.

https://gordyandsons.com/default-category/firearms/shotguns/country-of-origin/?pg=1&action=Side+by+Side&specificationcalibergauge=16+Gauge

They had more than a dozen a couple of weeks ago and now are down to only 2. Guess they sell well! They also have a BR552 sidelever for $63,000. The Gordy Special 16 ga. run are $16K but they have had the one for $10K for awhile now. The wood is slightly off on it for exhibition grade is my guess. Which is a concern I have going that high of a grade of wood and good chance I will go Grade 4 which is the grade below exhibition. However their exhibition is normally outstanding like on this 410 BR550.

There is an hour long youtube video of the Rizzini factory

https://youtu.be/tTbG_pohpVw

They mention that all BR55X guns are made in the custom shop. And I caught where they said they are all on their own frame with the exception of the 16 which is on the 20 ga. frame. So immediately thought a 16\20 combo is possible. And it really isn't that much more for the second barrel in the overall scheme of things.

I will have a semi beavertail forend on it same as I'm doing on the Iside. Because they will both double for light duty clay usage. Primarily just prior to hunting season. Personal opinion but the Iside and BR55X guns are too light for high volume clay shooting. Not that they won't hold up, I think they would. But just too light for serious clays. Perfect for hunting.

Don't think you can go wrong with either the 550 or 552 depending on your intended use.
df
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

I did buy my BR 550 from Advanced Arms in Pa.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen … Thank you for these fine reports and photos. I will be giving Rizzini USA a call to see what they may have in stock at their Utah headquarters.