16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  one powder
goathoof
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Since powders are scarce and much discussion has been brought up on the forum; is there one powder that is adaptable to use in pistol, rifle, and shotgun? I have used trail boss very well in pistol and rifle for lower velocity rounds. I have used it in 16 gauge brass shells with a ceiling of about 1150-1200 fps. Is there a holy grail powder?
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Don't understand when you say powder is scarce. There has been more powder available in the last month than before. If you can't find a powder, then there is another that will get the job done. If you can't get one of those powders, then it's the individual not looking hard enough. Most likely it's not going to just show up on every shelf.
df
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Unique covers a lot of ground in shotgun and handgun.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Before there was Trail Boss there was Red Dot. Some had formulas figured out where you could load all shotgun, rifle and pistol with it. At least around the time I bought this 12 pound keg of it in 83 they had.

I never bought into it. Rifle is a precision activity and always used the right powder for the job which was the tightest groups in each rifle. But loaded Red Dot for the 20, 16 and 12. There were published loads for it in the 20 back then. Also used Red Dot in the 38 and 357. Or Green Dot. If wanted to get fancy would get a pound of Blue Dot or Bullseye.

Once pressure measurements moved from CUP to PSI and became common for shotgun testing I switched to Green Dot for most shotgun reloads. There was a time we used Green Dot for everything except the 410. Sometime in the 90's I switched from Red Dot to Clays for its intended use and haven't looked back.

We can store up to 50 pounds of powder for residential use at least where I live. I've pretty much always took advantage of that fact. I don't shoot much rifle anymore and very little pistol. So Universal along with some International as a backup, Clays and Green Dot take care of all my needs. Green Dot is still the one powder I would consider for all my shotgun needs and I always have a good supply of it.

It took longer than it has in the past but over the last month powder has been showing up in quite a few places. Is there a holy grail powder? Not in my experience. But there are some really good powders for their intended use out there.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

Shotgun and pistol powders are more interchangable.Rifle powders are a whole different animal..
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Unique might be the best option but there are probably others in the same range. Cast bullet guys really seem to like Unique for moderate speed rifle loadings.

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:30 am  Reply with quote

One powder I've seen published data for in all 3 platforms is 2400. Very least of all in shotguns but it exists. So if the goal was only stocking 1 powder, I'd imagine with some testing, that powder might fit the bill.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:09 am  Reply with quote

You can make them all go bang with a powder such as unique, but it would not be optimum for all. I do use Unique for fireforming Ackley improved rifle cartridges, but unless your rifles group like scatterguns, you would do much better using the appropriate rifle powder. I tell my customers that I have little success in trying to tell a rifle what it will shoot for powder. The rifle along with a good chronograph will tell you what powder to use.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

One powder for all that does everything well? I wouldn't waste my time or money looking for that Unicorn.

There are plenty of smokeless powders out there either in stock or some that you will have to search a bit.

Recob's and Powder Valley are two that I check every day. It takes about 5 minutes.

Or you can try this link which is accurate. This link does not ask for any info from you and sends you to reputable websites:

https://www.shootingbot.com

Select powder and the inventory of Brownell's and Natchez will be listed. Fill in the box that named 'Filter' with the name of a company you would like to do business with and their inventory will be listed. It works.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Alliant is scarce here, but almost all of the Hogdon/ Win powders are lining the shelves here. I think it's pretty funny though. Hogdon saw fit to raise prices astronomically and nobody is buying any of it anyway since there are no primers. Serves them right. If the primer shortage lasts long enough, the powder will go on clearance.

df
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Back in the day, before we had lots of powders to choose from (when they are in stock) there was “one” universal powder, it was/is called BLACK powder.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm with you Wyochukar. I know that I will probably have to give in to Alliant or Hodgdon at some point but the heck with both Alliant and Hodgdon for the near future. I am sitting tight.

The cost of these powders has almost and in some cases doubled in the last few years. Effing ridiculous.

bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:48 am  Reply with quote

You can wait but from what I can gather from my resources that Alliant and Hodgdon are not manufacturing any new stocks for the retail market for 2023. What is for sale is exiting inventory and that will dry up. It is not only about reloading supplies the auto and domestic supplies are in the same boat. You only have to look in the food markets to see what is going on no choice and high prices.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I am not sure about Alliant, but I personally received a reply back from Hodgdon saying when I asked about the Clays line of powder, Clays, International and Universal and also questioned them about 700-X.

The email was on Jan. 11, 2023
My question to Hodgdon:

Good Morning,

I understand(or is this a bad rumor) that Clays, International and Universal won't be available for the foreseeable future. I was wondering about 700-X. In the past 700-X has always been one of the powders that was available. I have been using it since 1974. (Yeah I'm old, 66 to be exact) Will 700-X be available in 2023?

Hodgdon's reply:

Hello Mark, the Clays series is currently out of production but that does not mean discontinued. But we probably will not see any of the Clays series in 2023. 700x is still being produced and we shipped quite a bit of it in December. I saw 4lb bottles of 700x just this past weekend on the store shelf.

Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I got lucky and found a 4#er at a local store for $120. They had just gotten it in today. Never thought I would be happy about paying $30 a pound for shotgun powder but I was out and have shot a lot of 700x in the past..

They also had 14oz. bottles but they were too expensive for me.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12