16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shipping Options
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:24 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Our gals at the local PO (who are great) give me the third degree if it looks or smells like a gun. We must have a lot of guys here who ship guns. Gun parts are ok with them. Intact guns, no way. They don’t know if the addressee is a FFL or not.

B.

Don't give in to your 'gals' at the local post office. Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean they aren't required by law to do it. If they give you flack, move it up to the postmaster. If he gives flack, move it up above him, until you get somebody that will do what the law says they must do. I've seen on other forums guys even going to their congressman and getting resolution on this. Don't give in. That is what they want you to do.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:28 am  Reply with quote

drcook wrote:
silverbowff wrote:
DR your quote says that you have to pay a FFL to ship it for you. That is not correct. You as an individual can ship a Longarm usps to a FFL. You are not required to have an FFL ship it for you.

you are misreading what I said and trying to bend it to what you interpret what I am saying. I know what I meant and it sure isn't what you think

Quote:
the only options left for non-FFL holders are USPS (long arms only) and paying a FFL holder to ship it for you.

so options is plural. when you add the s to something it makes it more than 1.

so USPS is one option and paying a FFL to ship it is another. not one and the same.

see option 2B.

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp#:~:text=Regular%20nouns%20are%20nouns%20that,an%20apostrophe%20after%20the%20s.&text=Rule%202b.,make%20a%20regular%20noun%20plural.

Quote:
Rule 2a. Regular nouns are nouns that form their plurals by adding either the letter s or es (guy, guys; letter, letters; actress, actresses; etc.).

Rule 2b. Do not use an apostrophe + s to make a regular noun plural.

I read it the same way as silverbowff read it, while knowing you intended it to be the other way.

As long as we are going all grammatical, you used the conjunction 'and' when using the conjunction 'or' would have been substantially more clear to the reader what you were getting at.

Quote:
con·junc·tion
noun
GRAMMAR
a word used to connect clauses or sentences or to coordinate words in the same clause (e.g. and, but, if ).
1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Damn!

This is one fun post to read!!!

Never ceases to amaze what one can learn on 16ga.

Chuck

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I too have recently had to deal with these uber hoops to jump through to TRY and ship a gun(s).

USPS has to ship a long gun (shotgun/rifle) as long as certain requirements are met on the receiving end....you can ship from one state to another if you are shipping it to yourself (ex: flying to a different state to hunt, don't want the airline hassle)...
OR...you can ship the long gun to an FFL dealer in another state for a seperate party to collect after a FFL Transfer has been conducted by said FFL holder to new owner.
USPS will NOT ship a handgun.

UPS / FEDEX MAY ship handguns if shipped FROM an FFL holder TO an FFL holder, also they MAY ship long guns under same circumstance as the USPS...
The difference is the word MAY...its at thier DISCRETION. No one, not even the Federal Government, can DEMAND that they do this. That would not be constitutional.

Do I LIKE it....no.

But...those shipping companies are thier own private entities. They are entitled to do as they please. Business is business. If they choose to lose that revenue, so be it.

You can't demand a business to do anything. That's private sector privilege. It might not meet your metric of your needs, but its a reality.

Take it to the FFL dealer / gunshop YOU trust and ship it thru them. If THEY won't ship it, get vocal with them....they are supposed to be working EXPRESSLY for the gun owner.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I too have recently had to deal with these uber hoops to jump through to TRY and ship a gun(s).

USPS has to ship a long gun (shotgun/rifle) as long as certain requirements are met on the receiving end....you can ship from one state to another if you are shipping it to yourself (ex: flying to a different state to hunt, don't want the airline hassle)...
OR...you can ship the long gun to an FFL dealer in another state for a seperate party to collect after a FFL Transfer has been conducted by said FFL holder to new owner.
USPS will NOT ship a handgun.

UPS / FEDEX MAY ship handguns if shipped FROM an FFL holder TO an FFL holder, also they MAY ship long guns under same circumstance as the USPS...
The difference is the word MAY...its at thier DISCRETION. No one, not even the Federal Government, can DEMAND that they do this. That would not be constitutional.

Do I LIKE it....no.

But...those shipping companies are thier own private entities. They are entitled to do as they please. Business is business. If they choose to lose that revenue, so be it.

You can't demand a business to do anything. That's private sector privilege. It might not meet your metric of your needs, but its a reality.

Take it to the FFL dealer / gunshop YOU trust and ship it thru them. If THEY won't ship it, get vocal with them....they are supposed to be working EXPRESSLY for the gun owner.

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:52 am  Reply with quote

I shipped 5 guns last month via USPS Registered, 3 day priority. Three guns to one person in Ohio. I am in Ga. The other to Vermont. One gun to Charleston, SC 110 miles from home. On the three gun shipment, it log jammed in Jacksonville where it sat for close to a week. Problem being I shipped late Thursday which means it didn't get out from home until Friday but being received in Jax on Monday. Shipment took 12 days. The other gun, ten days. Lastly, the SC gun took one week. In looking at the USPS FAQ page regarding Registered mail, it contains the warning: Don't ship registered if speed is needed regardless of method sent. In other words, priority is a waste of money. The logging in of signatures of each handler is manual which eats time, but it is the surest, most secure form. What is misleading about delivery time with the combination of Priority and Registered is the receipt received from PO gives an estimated delivery time based on Priority without the Registered Mail option considered. Gil
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
If they give you flack, move it up to the postmaster.

One of the gals IS the Postmaster! They are all extremely helpful, friendly, and hard working, and I definitely do NOT want to upset them.

B.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
If they give you flack, move it up to the postmaster.

One of the gals IS the Postmaster! They are all extremely helpful, friendly, and hard working, and I definitely do NOT want to upset them.

B.

Don’t roll over. Helpful, friendly, and hardworking does not mean competent.

Cite USPS Publication 52, specifically section 432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Screenshot of some of it below. If I as a dumb engineer can find it in a few seconds online on their website, they should as well. They work for us. We don’t work for them.

Postmaster has a boss. Make them set them straight.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

I’m not about to test her patience and goodwill. It’s a small hundred year old two person operation that USPS has been trying to shut down for years. It’s right down the road and we use it at least weekly with no waiting. And I pay a few dollars a month for a PO box. If we trouble her, she just might tell us to take this job and … it, and shut her window for good. The next nearest PO is a large suburban center a half hour away with a line that sometimes snakes outside the building. I’ll happily pay the LGS $35 to stay in good stead with her.

B.
1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a mailer from the folks at Blue Book and on the back page there is an advertisement for a place called "Ship Outdoors". They claim to "save up to 70% on shipping".
Blue Book says SO is a sister business to them.
I went to their website, shipoutdoors.com, and couldn't find much information but, that having been said I am not really interested in their service because I have few guns left and they will be given to the kids and friends upon my demise.

So this may help someone or not but is mostly informational. I had no idea costs had risen so dramatically.

Regards,
Chuck